Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
I was taking a look at Nebula Genomics because they offer whole genome sequencing. A study on eye color inheritance they made a chart for, caught my attention.

Source: Simcoe et al. 2021:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/11/eabd1239

q256Sa8.png

I was taking a look at Nebula Genomics because they offer whole genome sequencing. A study on eye color inheritance they made a chart for, caught my attention.

Source: Simcoe et al. 2021:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/11/eabd1239

q256Sa8.png

That's the easy one, because I know about mixed eyed people which can produce every eye color in their children. Like blue-grey with a just slight tinge of brown, or green with a slight tinge of brown. The offspring of such people can have every eye colour and I think the ratios are not that one sided either. What about the genetics of these? I couldn't find too much about it so far.

I have blue eyes and my parents have brown (although my grandfather and some relatives also have blue eyes). My children 50% blue and brown (my wife brown). When I was a child, at school, Father Zumalacarregui said that Basques with blue eyes were descendants of Vikings, now we know that it is a matter of our ancestors WHGs

That's the easy one, because I know about mixed eyed people which can produce every eye color in their children. Like blue-grey with a just slight tinge of brown, or green with a slight tinge of brown. The offspring of such people can have every eye colour and I think the ratios are not that one sided either. What about the genetics of these? I couldn't find too much about it so far.

how long , in months/years does the child birth colour eyes stay as is and what they end up finally with ?

my family history below
my grandsons are both born blue eyes and both changed after 18months ...............3yo is now blue-grey and 2yo is now dark-green with blue rim

All my sons are all blue eyes

my wife is blue eye

I am green eye ( was mid green and with age I am going light green )

my father is light green....grandfather (1895-1988) is dark green and ...........my great great grandfather (1853-1924) is mid green

BTW....23andme always give me as 70% blue eye and 30% green eye ............I have no blue

how long , in months/years does the child birth colour eyes stay as is and what they end up finally with ?

my family history below
my grandsons are both born blue eyes and both changed after 18months ...............3yo is now blue-grey and 2yo is now dark-green with blue rim

All my sons are all blue eyes

my wife is blue eye

I am green eye ( was mid green and with age I am going light green )

my father is light green....grandfather (1895-1988) is dark green and ...........my great great grandfather (1853-1924) is mid green

BTW....23andme always give me as 70% blue eye and 30% green eye ............I have no blue

Eye color changes from birth in the first years, up to the 3rd year of age I'd say.

But my point was about stable eye colors in adults. Like I know adult people with such blue-grey with a tinge of brown. Its stable. But the inheritance pattern seems to be like half main allel plus a lot of blue eye supportive minor allels. That's the rare case of males which can, even though they are mostly light eyed, can get darker eyed kids even with a light eyed partner. Because they lack one of the main allels, and the light color being also based on the minor ones, which the partner might not have all.

I tested with YSEQ

https://phenotype.yseq.net/index.php

and with my 23andme v3 ...I get

PhenotypeProbability
bar_scale.png
Blue95%
Intermediate3%
Brown2%

Eye Color

same above if I use ftdna

one of my sons...............23andme v4

PhenotypeProbability
bar_scale.png
Blue91.8%
Intermediate4.8%
Brown3.4%

Eye Color

I haven't gone through the whole Supplement but I haven't seen that chart yet. It might not represent the opinion of the authors. Eye color is very complicated, governed by a lot of smaller effect newly discovered genes as well as the bigger ones of which we were aware.

Just be experience, I can say the chart is very simplified. My father's parents were both light eyed, with my nonna having hazel green eyes, and my nonno eyes as blue as a summer sky. Not one of their eleven children got blue eyes. All had some combination of grey, green, and light hazel.

I published this explanation for how two blue eyed people can indeed have a brown eyed child years ago, although the odds are against it.

https://www.scienceofbiogenetics.com/can-two-brown-eyed-parents-have-a-blue-eyed-child/

Oh, another life example from my husband's mother and father. A very dark brown eyed mother who happened to have a blue eyed mother, who then marries a man with green/hazel eyes can give birth to a light brown eyed son and a bright blue-eyed daughter. Since the daughter also had blonde hair and the mother had black hair, she was often asked if she adopted her daughter. :)

I'm interested in seeing my child's eye color. My eyes are dark, my wife's eyes are green. I wonder who they will take after. My mom's eyes are dark like mine, my dad's eyes are hazel. My mother-in-law has blue eyes, and my father-in-law has wine colored eyes.

I tested with YSEQ

https://phenotype.yseq.net/index.php

and with my 23andme v3 ...I get

PhenotypeProbability
bar_scale.png
Blue95%
Intermediate3%
Brown2%

same above if I use ftdna

one of my sons...............23andme v4

PhenotypeProbability
bar_scale.png
Blue91.8%
Intermediate4.8%
Brown3.4%

Or the FTDNA files are not suitable or this model is not accurat....produces only HEINO results!!! :grin:

This thread has been viewed 6913 times.

Back