Introducing two DNA testing companies: tellmeGen and Atlas BioMed

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
There are two DNA testing companies founded over 5 years ago but that haven't made much noise in the pop gen community yet. Nevertheless they do look interesting.

The first one is tellmeGen, a Spanish company based in Valencia offering both ancestry and health tests. Their website is available in 7 European languages. What drew my attention is the number of diseases and traits included in their report - more than 23andMe. It's especially interesting for people living in countries where 23andMe does not provide the health report, which includes most of Europe (apart from the UK, Netherlands and 3 Nordic countries).

TellmeGen reports 95 monogenic diseases/hereditary conditions (carrier status) and 100 disease predispositions against only 45 and 14 for 23andMe. That's almost 4x more.

TellmeGen also offers reports on 50 traits, 33 wellness and 150 pharmacologic compatibilities, against respectively 37, 8 and 3 for 23andMe v5.

Their ancestry test includes Y-DNA, mtDNA, an autosomal comparison with 74 ethnic groups (17 in Europe, including Austrian, Slovenian and Croatian) and the percentage of Neanderthal DNA.

They test 800,000 SNPs (more than 23andMe, Ancestry, FTDNA, Living DNA, etc.), but I couldn't find how many for Y-DNA and mtDNA.

Their test costs 139€ and is available worldwide (free delivery in Europe).

The second company is Atlas BioMed, which is based in London with a pretty international team and a Russian CEO. Their particularity is that they also offer microbiome testing.

They test 317 hereditary conditions (the record so far, although Xcode Life has 408 for 23andMe users), 20 disease risks, and also have reports on nutrition, sports and other traits. Their ancestry report includes Y-DNA, mtDNA, an autosomal comparison with 153 populations (but not listed) and the percentage of Neanderthal DNA.

Their test costs 169€/159£ (free delivery) but is apparently only available in 16 countries - mostly in Europe, but also Turkey and Canada (not the USA, which is odd).

There are two DNA testing companies founded over 5 years ago but that haven't made much noise in the pop gen community yet. Nevertheless they do look interesting.

The first one is tellmeGen, a Spanish company based in Valencia offering both ancestry and health tests. Their website is available in 7 European languages. What drew my attention is the number of diseases and traits included in their report - more than 23andMe. It's especially interesting for people living in countries where 23andMe does not provide the health report, which includes most of Europe (apart from the UK, Netherlands and 3 Nordic countries).

TellmeGen reports 95 monogenic diseases/hereditary conditions (carrier status) and 100 disease predispositions against only 45 and 14 for 23andMe. That's almost 4x more.

TellmeGen also offers reports on 50 traits, 33 wellness and 150 pharmacologic compatibilities, against respectively 37, 8 and 3 for 23andMe v5.

Their ancestry test includes Y-DNA, mtDNA, an autosomal comparison with 74 ethnic groups (17 in Europe, including Austrian, Slovenian and Croatian) and the percentage of Neanderthal DNA.

They test 800,000 SNPs (more than 23andMe, Ancestry, FTDNA, Living DNA, etc.), but I couldn't find how many for Y-DNA and mtDNA.

Their test costs 139€ and is available worldwide (free delivery in Europe).

The second company is Atlas BioMed, which is based in London with a pretty international team and a Russian CEO. Their particularity is that they also offer microbiome testing.

They test 317 hereditary conditions (the record so far, although Xcode Life has 408 for 23andMe users), 20 disease risks, and also have reports on nutrition, sports and other traits. Their ancestry report includes Y-DNA, mtDNA, an autosomal comparison with 153 populations (but not listed) and the percentage of Neanderthal DNA.

Their test costs 169€/159£ (free delivery) but is apparently only available in 16 countries - mostly in Europe, but also Turkey and Canada (not the USA, which is odd).

no for me for both

have you tried
https://isogg.org/wiki/MitoYDNA

it is a replacement for ySearch ( a very good program )

After seeking more information on their tests, I realised that these two companies are truly exceptional. TellmeGen surely has the best health report of any budget DNA testing company and even exceeds most whole genome company reports.

Atlas Biomed provides a beautiful and clear 170-page report - most of it on health and traits. There are only a few pages on ancestry, but they assign relatively deep clades of Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups and test more populations than any other company if we exclude the 20 British sub-regions of Living DNA. They have no less than 153 populations and are very strong for Russia (Volga-Ural, North Caucasus) and South Asia. Here is a breakdown of the populations by region:

• Europe : 28
  • Caucasus : 11
  • Siberia : 21
  • Central Asia : 8
  • Middle East : 7
  • South Asia : 27
  • East Asia : 15
  • Southeast Asia : 11
  • Oceania : 4
  • Americas : 9
  • Africa : 12

Overall I am satisfied with Tellmegen service. Bought duo-pack for only 249 Eur, no shipping fee to any direction. Sample kits came to Latvia in few days. Results were ready in less than 4 weeks. Traits matched 100%, e.g., eye color, blood type, hair thickness, freckles etc. Medical issues, wellness and even pharmacology (as far as I know and what has been used) fitted good. I was a bit disappointed about ancestry report, because it turned out that both my parents are 100% East-Europeans. Well...maybe if only up to ten generations are considered. Haplogroups were reported only J, N an H. So, I had to find that they actually are J1c3, N1c and H1c4.
The main purpose of these tests were to asses health risks to my parents and this part of the test they did very well. They provide nice technical reports about each health risk, mutations that are involved in etc.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4736 times.

Back