Where are Italian reference populations from?

Maleusscroturum

Reaction score
I had a specific question regarding reference populations. I notice that virtually all third party comparison sites (mytrueancestry, gedmatch and its attendant Eurogenes and Dodecad calculators) use reference populations to which we may compare our ancestry. My question is, specifically, which cities where these samples taken from? Specifically Tuscany and Abruzzo—Tuscany being a large province and Abruzzo being one of the most sparsely populated regions of Italy.
Anybody know?
Thanks in advance!

The ones you mention are all amateur calculators. Mytrueancestry seems to be using Eurogenes K15 averages.

There are two sets of samples generally used for the Tuscans. According to Ceph coordinates, the Tuscan HGDP is from southern Tuscany, province of Grosseto. TSI, the other sample, instead comes from an unknown location in the province of Florence.

While the Abruzzo sample could be from the province of L'Aquila, it is that area of Abruzzo that appears to be the first to be sampled in the genetic studies.

For the rest of the Italians, Bergamo HGDP, also labeled North Italian, according to the Ceph coordinates comes from Val Seriana, Orobic Alps/Bergamasque Alps in the province of Bergamo.

Sardinian HGDP, according to Ceph coordinates, comes from Ogliastra, Nuoro province. Also confirmed by a couple of studies.

Sicilian West comes from the province of Trapani, Sicilian East from the province of Syracuse.

Italian South, it is not clear, but the Calabrian sample (BEL57) comes from Belvedere marittimo, province of Cosenza, north-western Calabria. It is possible that there are also other samples coming from the bordering areas of other regions of southern Italy.

Thank you very much for the information!

Incidentally I took the mytrueancestry calculator and it placed me more or less smack dab between the Tuscany and the Abruzzo (distance 7 from Tuscany, 8 from Abruzzo). Guess that would make me closest to what...an Umbrian? Somebody from Perugia? Arezzo even? I wonder in which central Italian city I could pass most unnoticed!

What is the difference between Italian-North and Italian_North on the MDLP calculator?

Thank you very much for the information!
Incidentally I took the mytrueancestry calculator and it placed me more or less smack dab between the Tuscany and the Abruzzo (distance 7 from Tuscany, 8 from Abruzzo). Guess that would make me closest to what...an Umbrian? Somebody from Perugia? Arezzo even? I wonder in which central Italian city I could pass most unnoticed!

Are you not Basque? How does it place you there if you're Basque? You're wondering in which city you would pass unnoticed, the answer is everywhere because no one in real life cares about these things, because phenotypes do not always match with the position in these calculators, and because everywhere in Italy, including any central Italian city, there are also many people who are not native to the place.

if you want some more details about your position, post your Eurogenes K13, K15 and Dodecad K12b results, I will help you with this. You just need to post the percentages of the components.

http://vahaduo.genetics.ovh/

Yes, World-22.

One of the two is most likely Bergamo HGDP, so Val Seriana, Orobic Alps/Bergamasque Alps, the other the sample of Piedmont which is also used in other MDLP calculators and should be from Val Borbera, province of Alessandria.

I'll take a closer look at it later and give you a more precise answer if possible.

Must I use gedmatch to access these calculators?

Also, no, not Basque. Girlfriend is Basque and have a strong personal affinity for Spain but definitely not from there (Italian, Ashkenazi and Wasp American mix...)

Must I use gedmatch to access these calculators?
Also, no, not Basque. Girlfriend is Basque and have a strong personal affinity for Spain but definitely not from there (Italian, Ashkenazi and Wasp American mix...)

Yes, you have to use your Gedmatch results. Just the percentages of the components, only. If you post them I'll do it for you.

I had a specific question regarding reference populations. I notice that virtually all third party comparison sites (mytrueancestry, gedmatch and its attendant Eurogenes and Dodecad calculators) use reference populations to which we may compare our ancestry. My question is, specifically, which cities where these samples taken from? Specifically Tuscany and Abruzzo—Tuscany being a large province and Abruzzo being one of the most sparsely populated regions of Italy.
Anybody know?
Thanks in advance!

Depending on the tool, it is possible to choose the reference

Depending on the tool, it is possible to choose the reference.

The ones you mention are all amateur calculators. Mytrueancestry seems to be using Eurogenes K15 averages.

There are two sets of samples generally used for the Tuscans. According to Ceph coordinates, the Tuscan HGDP is from southern Tuscany, province of Grosseto. TSI, the other sample, instead comes from an unknown location in the province of Florence.

While the Abruzzo sample could be from the province of L'Aquila, it is that area of Abruzzo that appears to be the first to be sampled in the genetic studies.

For the rest of the Italians, Bergamo HGDP, also labeled North Italian, according to the Ceph coordinates comes from Val Seriana, Orobic Alps/Bergamasque Alps in the province of Bergamo.

Sardinian HGDP, according to Ceph coordinates, comes from Ogliastra, Nuoro province. Also confirmed by a couple of studies.

Sicilian West comes from the province of Trapani, Sicilian East from the province of Syracuse.

Italian South, it is not clear, but the Calabrian sample (BEL57) comes from Belvedere marittimo, province of Cosenza, north-western Calabria. It is possible that there are also other samples coming from the bordering areas of other regions of southern Italy.

IIRC, does not the Bergamo have also some eastern swiss and tyrolese in it as well ? ...............I recall it heading north through Sondrio and also eastwards towards bolzano .............or is there a second Bolzano

we also have O_Italian ( other italians ) to consider

Resurrecting an old post, but here we go. I am the same person as Maleusscrotorum, but for some reason my login details are not working for that account.

At any rate, here are my K12b figures (the first 7):

1 Atlantic_Med 31.44
2 Caucasus 27.93
3 North_European 20.32
4 Southwest_Asian 10.16
5 Gedrosia 6.17
6 Northwest_African 2.49
7 South_Asian 0.11

This thread has been viewed 6703 times.

Back