What remains to be discovered in population genetics?

Mineiro25

Reaction score
Ethnic group
49.1 Portuguese, 20.1 Italy_Veneto,16.0 Yoruban, 9.8 North_German, 5.0 Karitiana
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-DF27
mtDNA haplogroup
H2
I have a feeling that a lot has already been discovered. Many myths have been debunked and many interesting things discovered. What is still missing?

Too much political correctness nowadays to even be worth asking.

Not much is known about the full history of the Americas. Pre-Clovis populations, how many back migrations occurred from and to The Americas and Africa?

Why Mt-DNA is so randomly distributed? Its like certain groups of women were taken in ships and dumped off at major sea ports.

How the black death changed population distribution and admixture of different haplogroups? Isolated peasant groups in the mountains / backwoods have chance to repopulate cities.

More ancient samples, more, more...From a personal point of view more samples throughout history around the Balkans and Greece, locals vs invaders. Elite vs common folks...migration of women.

More ancient samples, more, more...From a personal point of view more samples throughout history around the Balkans and Greece, locals vs invaders. Elite vs common folks...migration of women.

Fully agree. It is like we are playing connect the dots, but for some regions and time frames there are too few dots. Hence what might be a cat looks like a fish when you connect the dots.

I feel there is plenty to be discovered.

An actual source of Basal Eurasian ancestry so it doesn't have to be inferred from other things. That being said there is already good phenotypical evidence as to Basal Eurasian ancestry in Arabia.

We don‘t have a single ancient DNA from MESOPOTAMIA, yet and Africa is still extremely undersampled. Concerning Europe, we are able to connect more and more the dots. However, we still need DNA from Classical Greeks and the time period when the Dorians or Pro-Greeks showed up. Greece has the human remains of the Macedonian King Philip, the father of the legendary Alex the Great and remains from possibly Hephaestion. It would be amazing if the Greek government would allow DNA testing on them. That would tell us so much about who Alexander and the Macadonians were ethnically speaking. Furthermore, the question of the Indo-European homeland is still not settled. I‘d love to see aDNA/mtDNA or yDNA from Paleo, Neolithic, and M****ithic Africa. There are upcoming papers about ancient Egypt though, hopefully with lots of samples from predynastic, OK, and NK Egypt. Plus we are waiting for the very important Dzudzuana paper from Lazaridis for 3 years now.

Last edited:
IMO, there is yet a small amount of samples of ancient native Americans (and moderns too). Kennwick, Anzick, Botocudo (with two skull wrongly labeled), Luzia, Ancient Mexicans, Mayans, Peruvians. Many points must be linked yet. Siberia, Beringia, North America, Mesoamerica, Andean America, Eastern South America. Without samples, many connections can’t be precisaly established.

We don‘t have a single ancient DNA from MESOPOTAMIA, yet and Africa is still extremely undersampled. Concerning Europe, we are able to connect more and more the dots. However, we still need DNA from Classical Greeks and the time period when the Dorians or Pro-Greeks showed up. Greece has the human remains of the Macedonian King Philip, the father of the legendary Alex the Great and remains from possibly Hephaestion. It would be amazing if the Greek government would allow DNA testing on them. That would tell us so much about who Alexander and the Macadonians were ethnically speaking. Furthermore, the question of the Indo-European homeland is still not settled. I‘d love to see aDNA/mtDNA or yDNA from Paleo, Neolithic, and M****ithic Africa. There are upcoming papers about ancient Egypt though, hopefully with lots of samples from predynastic, OK, and NK Egypt. Plus we are waiting for the very important Dzudzuana paper from Lazaridis for 3 years now.

From what I read long ago about Philip II, the evidence is not 100% conclusive that we are talking about his bones. However there is circumstantial evidence for it.

I find it peculiar we have so little ancient bones analyzed from such a rich historical region such as Greece.

Lack of Full Scale Research and Study of the Deep Ancient Genetics of the AETAs and other Negrito Indigenes of Island-Southeast Asia especially the Philippines and the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, the nation of Timor etc.

From what I read long ago about Philip II, the evidence is not 100% conclusive that we are talking about his bones. However there is circumstantial evidence for it.

I find it peculiar we have so little ancient bones analyzed from such a rich historical region such as Greece.

Not all skeletons yield DNA. The last study of the Northern Greek and Cycladic people yielded 6 samples out of 70.

Not all skeletons yield DNA. The last study of the Northern Greek and Cycladic people yielded 6 samples out of 70.

Poor yields, is this related to Greece only, or happens all over Balkans?

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

This thread has been viewed 3818 times.

Back