Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: I-M253 Snip pack or marker upgrade?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-Z59
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b1b1-b*

I-M253 Snip pack or marker upgrade?

I Just joined the I1 Project at FTDNA. I did the 37 marker test there and am about to upgrade. I was wondering what would be the best approach, marker packs or the 111 test. I asked an admin there but havent yet received a reply. Some additional detail -

Living DNA states me I1a.
    23and Me states me I-Z58.
    FTDNA Predicts me I-M253.

MorleyDNA predictions are-
    From Living DNA test: I1a2a2~1 (I1-L41).
    From 23andMe test: I1a2b1~1 (I1-Z58).

My thinking is the snip pack is best as no point really upgrading markers to 111 as I have only 3 match at 37 markers anyway. Plus I am more interested in deep ancestry and migration than matches. Or maybe upgrading to the 111 markers will provide a more refined subclade?

Thanks for any guidance,
    Les.

Welcome fellow I1 member!

If it's within reason I would potentially wait for a sale on FamilyTreeDNA's Big Y700, that you can get fairly well refined Haplogroup and subclade determination and 700 STR markers. However, it is expensive and best to wait for a sale and possibly use coupons.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-Z59
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b1b1-b*

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    Welcome fellow I1 member!

If it's within reason I would potentially wait for a sale on FamilyTreeDNA's Big Y700, that you can get fairly well refined Haplogroup and subclade determination and 700 STR markers. However, it is expensive and best to wait for a sale and possibly use coupons.
    Thanks for welcome! I'm too impatient to wait for next sale. I will upgrade to Big Y700 before Christmas, however. On 12th I will order the I-M253 snip pack. Thanks again!