Ancient genomes reveal structural shifts after the arrival of Steppe-related ancestry

Despite the heterogeneity of the male markers in the Italian peninsula, Sardinia and Sicily, at least this paper serves to connect the Italian Bronze Age with the BBC in Germany and Czechia and with the Iron Age-Latins thanks to R1b-U152>L20- Those migrations from the north must have occurred in the early Bronze Age because the other northern-Italian BBs we have are P312 and at least their mitochondrial markers are Iberian. That genetic continuity could serve to link the Italo-Celtic with the Unetice culture. But there are still many mysteries to be solved such as finding out once and for all, the origin of the Etruscans and their NO-IE language, or the role played by R1b-Z2103, J2a-M410, J2b-L283 and other markers in Italy.

Despite the heterogeneity of the male markers in the Italian peninsula, Sardinia and Sicily, at least this paper serves to connect the Italian Bronze Age with the BBC in Germany and Czechia and with the Iron Age-Latins thanks to R1b-U152>L20- Those migrations from the north must have occurred in the early Bronze Age because the other northern-Italian BBs we have are P312 and at least their mitochondrial markers are Iberian. That genetic continuity could serve to link the Italo-Celtic with the Unetice culture. But there are still many mysteries to be solved such as finding out once and for all, the origin of the Etruscans and their NO-IE language, or the role played by R1b-Z2103, J2a-M410, J2b-L283 and other markers in Italy.

what DNA do we have from Unetice?
we have Y-DNA I2 but not R1b-P312
I suspect they had some steppe DNA like Bell Beakers, but do we have autosomal Unetice?

my guess is that R1b-P312 expanded from the northern part of the Carpatian Basin, and that Unetice were I2 who were influenced by continental Bell Beaker
continental Bell Beaker may have been Italo-Celtic

can you show the Iberian mtDNA in continental Bell Beaker?
they could be the link between Iberian Bell Beaker and continental Bell Beaker

ISBA9: 9th International Symposium on Biomolecular Archaeology June 1st-4th 2021

Viminacium samples are coming out.

1. Olalde Iñigo. Human mobility at the Roman Danubian Limes before and after the fall of the Empire

Sent from my ****** using Eupedia Forum

that would be cool :cool-v:
i hope they will release the paper and that it is not only a lecture .....
beyond the high number of e-L618 and e-v13
there is also 1 case of e-m123 individual ( could be e-m84>pf6751 or e-L791) if the leak was correct :unsure:
maybe he was a middle eastern auxiliary in viminacium (some of those places in roman empire were cosmopolitan)
going to be interesting paper :)

They couldn't have been Beeker? I have heard that theory circulating as a suspicion. But am not knowledgeable enough to say.
Afaik Beakers were IE, and from what I understand of L283 Bronze Age migrations they likely were IE. So the only thing that makes sense is a boat ride for these y haplo carriers from southern France/northern Italy into Sardiania.

when would these neolithic migrations from Iberia/Southern France have happened?
the thing is neolithic Sardegna, Iberia and S France were quite similar autosomal, so you need uniparentals to detect it
to me, it seems Sardegna was a safe haven for some neolithic (megalithic) elite when Bell Beaker was taking over Iberia and France
continental Bell Beaker (R1b with steppe) arrived quite late in Sardegna

P.S. I haven't read yet the 2020 study on Nuragic mentioned above

some markers in Germany and Czechia-Unetice

OBKR-80 (2.046 BC)- Königsbrunn-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-K1a3
MX286 (1.960 BC)-Singen EBA-HapY-R1b-U152>L2-Mit-N1b1b
I7202/Grave 94: (1.950 BC). Jinonice Czech Rp-Hap Y R1b-P312-U152-L2- Hap Mit-U5a1/a2b-Olalde, 2018
AITI-72 (1.815 BC)-Kleinaitingen-HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-J1c2/c2
AITI-50 (1.812 BC)-Kleinaitingen-Lech Valley-HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-J1c3
AITI-43 (1.794 BC)- Kleinaitingen- HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-X2b+226
RISE471 (1.604 BC)-Untermeitingen-HapY-R1b-L2-Mit-J1c1/b-Allentoft

some markers in Germany and Czechia-Unetice

OBKR-80 (2.046 BC)- Königsbrunn-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-K1a3
MX286 (1.960 BC)-Singen EBA-HapY-R1b-U152>L2-Mit-N1b1b
I7202/Grave 94: (1.950 BC). Jinonice Czech Rp-Hap Y R1b-P312-U152-L2- Hap Mit-U5a1/a2b-Olalde, 2018
AITI-72 (1.815 BC)-Kleinaitingen-HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-J1c2/c2
AITI-50 (1.812 BC)-Kleinaitingen-Lech Valley-HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-J1c3
AITI-43 (1.794 BC)- Kleinaitingen- HapY-R1b1a/2a1a/2b1-R1b-U152-L2-Mit-X2b+226
RISE471 (1.604 BC)-Untermeitingen-HapY-R1b-L2-Mit-J1c1/b-Allentoft

ok, interesting, can you give a link to the papers where thes were published?
which was the Allentoft paper? the one on the Lech Valley?

The facts.
Paper compares R1b-L51+ samples with elite Yamnaya-Kurgan burials mostly R1b-Z2109+ many kms67+(sample sample IO443-Z2105- and one I2 sample). It oddly parses the data and links Yamnaya with the ability for digesting gluten, and lipids compared to middle east farmers. In terms of gluten starch, one would have expected evolutionary farming communities consuming worry free(no reaction)gluten to have spread in early Italian farmers originating from Anatiolian farmers(wheat, rye, etc....) ,compare gene for dairy consumption in Europe.
Aside from Latini tribe sample R1016-- R1b-Z2103 sample from Castel di Decima 900-700, bc there were no samples to compare phenotype (so far) connecting Yamnaya R1b-Z2109+ in this study. R1b Z2109 and R1b L51 are linked with common ancestor R1b-L23+. Even though R1b-L51+ has been found in early Corded Ware(PCW070-3890+/-YBP) and Afanasievo (I6222 3316-2918+/-) , no phenotype comparison was highlighted in this study with similar R1b L51 ydna lines.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L51/

Bell Beakers are predominantly R1b-L51+ perhaps as high as 99% and they have varied phenotypes. The only R1b-Z2109 Bell Beakers are from Hungary, one with red hair and one with blonde.

Yfull places R1b-L51 Corded Ware Poland and Afanasievo in different groupings compared to Iberian L51+.
It would be nice to compare phenotype with similar L51 ancestry- Italy-Corded Ware-Afanasievo-steppe.

what DNA do we have from Unetice?
we have Y-DNA I2 but not R1b-P312
I suspect they had some steppe DNA like Bell Beakers, but do we have autosomal Unetice?

my guess is that R1b-P312 expanded from the northern part of the Carpatian Basin, and that Unetice were I2 who were influenced by continental Bell Beaker
continental Bell Beaker may have been Italo-Celtic

can you show the Iberian mtDNA in continental Bell Beaker?
they could be the link between Iberian Bell Beaker and continental Bell Beaker

The Beaker phenomenon and the genomic transformation of northwest Europe (2.018)-We only have three North Italian BBs and everybody knows that this culture in mainland italy, sardinia and sicily was a residual phenomenon that lasted only a short time.

I2477/Tomb1-A: 2200–1930 (2.065 BC) -Via Guidorossi (Parma)-Female-Mit-T2b3@151
I2478/Tomb1-B: 2200–1930 (2.065 BC)-Via Guidorossi (Parma)-HapY-R1b-P312-Mit-K1a2/a
I1979/Tomb2, ind B: 2200–1930 (2.065 BC)-Via Guidorossi (Parma)-Female-Mit-T2b3

Now look where these mitochondrial lineages are, none of them have been previously documented in Italy.

T2b3@151-Iberia
Cueva del Toro, Antequera, Málaga-Tor7/Tor6-5.030 BC
Cueva de la Guineu, Barcelona, Calcolitico-I10287-2.950 BC
Sima del Ángel, Córdoba, Calcolítico-I7587/I8149/I8148-2.700 BC
Humanejos, BBC–I6539-2.251 BC

T2b3-
Iberia, Camino de las Yeseras, BBC-2.338 BC
Francia, Dolmen de Villard, BBC-2.118 BC
Italia, Via Guidorossi-Parma, BBC-2.065 BC
Cerdeña, S’Iscia Esas Piras, BBC-Isc001- 2.167 BC
Hungría-BA-RISE349-1.909 BC

We have a few dozen mitochondrial markers shared by BB sites all over Europe, even in the eastern domain (Hungary, Czech Republic and Poland) - Iberian markers are very frequent in Germany and France, and some have also been documented in the British Isles. The BBC lasted a thousand years in Iberia and in that period of time there were hundreds of small migrations in different directions, but the western Mediterranean has Iberian markers in Occitania, Liguria, Sardinia, Sicily, etc...

The facts.
Paper compares R1b-L51+ samples with elite Yamnaya-Kurgan burials mostly R1b-Z2109+ many kms67+(sample sample IO443-L23+Z2105- and one I2 sample). It oddly parses the data and links Yamnaya with the ability for digesting gluten, and lipids compared to middle east farmers. In terms of gluten starch, one would have expected evolutionary farming communities consuming worry free(no reaction)gluten to have spread in early Italian farmers originating from Anatiolian farmers(wheat, rye, etc....) ,compare gene for dairy consumption in Europe.
Aside from Latini tribe sample R1016-- R1b-Z2103 sample from Castel di Decima 900-700, bc there were no samples to compare phenotype (so far) connecting Yamnaya R1b-Z2109+ in this study. R1b Z2109 and R1b L51 are linked with common ancestor R1b-L23+. Even though R1b-L51+ has been found in early Corded Ware(PCW070-3890+/-YBP) and Afanasievo (I6222 3316-2918+/-) , no phenotype comparison was highlighted in this study with similar R1b L51 ydna lines.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L51/

Bell Beakers are predominantly R1b-L51+ perhaps as high as 99% and they have varied phenotypes. The only R1b-Z2109 Bell Beakers are from Hungary, one with red hair and one with blonde.

Im sorry but Afanasievo I6222 is a garbage sample, you have to keep looking

when would these neolithic migrations from Iberia/Southern France have happened?
the thing is neolithic Sardegna, Iberia and S France were quite similar autosomal, so you need uniparentals to detect it
to me, it seems Sardegna was a safe haven for some neolithic (megalithic) elite when Bell Beaker was taking over Iberia and France
continental Bell Beaker (R1b with steppe) arrived quite late in Sardegna

P.S. I haven't read yet the 2020 study on Nuragic mentioned above

No Iberian BBs arrived in Sardinia at the time of the Monteclaro culture. You can read these papers if you are interested

The Proboscidian ivory adorments from the hypogeum of Padru Jossu (Sanluri, Sardinia, Italy) and the Mediterranean Bell Beaker-Jose Miguel Morillo

Los botones campaniformes Sardos y sus analogías con la península Ibérica y otras zonas del Mediterráneo-Claudia Pau (2.012)-

The BB Iberian migrations are absolutely demonstrated also in northern Morocco, Sardinia and Sicily. In this last island we also have Iberian Df27, although in Sardinia R1b-M269>P312>df27 has not been found yet, it will surely end up appearing in some BBC site. And these Df27 can only be modeled with the Iberian BBs.

Beaker_Northern_Italy_no_steppe:I2477 Via Guidorossi Mit-T2b3@151
Distance 2.0004%
49.9-Czech_MN
39.3-Iberia_Southwest_CA
8.3-Tisza_LN
2.5-Ukraine_Eneolithic:I4110

Remember that P312 is only part of the BBC, other male markers are frequent and exogamy caused strong population movements.

I didn‘t misinterpret the authors' claims but quoted their conclusion straight from the paper. Plus, I didn't mention pale skin at all. So, where did I claim, that CA or BA Italians were pale-skinned? I politely ask you to stop putting words in my mouth. And we already had a discussion about BA Greek paper where we came to the conclusion that "dark" in that context isn't that dark, and that dark to black doesn't translate into SSA complexion. Besides, I just wanted to point out that blond hair and blue eyes were not uncommon in Italy even during the BA. That's all.

Real Expert, there are 46 samples from Bronze Age Italy, including the mainland, Sicily and Sardinia. Of those 46 samples, 4 are blond or dark blonde and blue eyed and they're all from Sardinia. None from the mainland, and none from Sicily.

That, to me, doesn't equal blonde hair and blue eyes were not uncommon in Italy during the Bronze Age.

If you want to interpret it that way, that's your prerogative, although I think it gives the wrong impression.

In the Iron Age, to complete the story, we have one blue eyed blonde.

We have more blue eyed dark haired people. We still do. It's really a "not uncommon" phenotype in Italy. I can't put my hands on the paper right now, but a very large percentage of Italians, especially in the north, carry one blue eyed gene. Even the percentage of people with actual "light eyes" is significant.

@Jovialis,

The raw data for these samples is available.

Im sorry but Afanasievo I6222 is a garbage sample, you have to keep looking
You cannot deny that Afanasievo I6222+ and Corded Ware L51+ Italian L51+ are related to Yamnaya L23+ I0443.
https://labs.icb.ufmg.br/lbem/pdf/Balanovsky2017HGlowlandAsia.pdf
page 9 L23+ neither L51+ or Z2105+

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7165176/
[FONT=&quot] Overall, although non-significant the results suggested a trend where the four groups share more genetic drift with Russia_Afanasievo than with Yamnaya and Groups I, II and III share more genetic drift with Poland_CW than with Russian_Afanasievo (Table [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S14[/FONT][FONT=&quot] & Fig. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S20[/FONT])[FONT=&quot]. This pattern was also mirrored by the [/FONT]f[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-statistics.[/FONT]

You cannot deny that Afanasievo I6222+ and Corded Ware L51+ Italian L51+ are related to Yamnaya L23+ I0443.
https://labs.icb.ufmg.br/lbem/pdf/Balanovsky2017HGlowlandAsia.pdf
page 9 L23+ neither L51+ or Z2105+

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7165176/

Related? yeah, but I'm afraid you didn't read the link you sent because Balanovsky expressly says this;

The resulting phylogenetic tree (Fig. 4a) demonstrates that haplogroup R-L23 splits into two main branches, R-L51 and R-GG400. The former includes West Europeans, while the latter comprises exclusively representatives of East European populations. Both branches are of similar age: around 6 thousand years (Fig. 4a). Note that members of this eastern branch R-GG400 came mainly from the steppe area of East Europe.

The currently available dataset does not contradict the hypothesis that R-GG400 marks a link between the East European steppe dwellers and West Asians, though the route and even direction of this migration is disputable. It does, however, demonstrate that present-day West European R1b chromosomes do not originate from the Yamnaya populations analyzed in (Haak et al. 2015; Mathieson et al. 2015) and raises the question of their origin

Regarding the paper on the CWC in Poland these samples belong to the late phase of that culture (2,400 BC), the Swiss L51 (MX310, MX304 and Asch25) are 300 years earlier and two of them are Neolithic farmers with hardly any steppe ancestry. Then the link between Afanasievo and those samples should be checked, you have to look at the female markers, because most of the CWC mitochondrial markers in Poland are from the steppe (Afanasievo, Yamnaya etc...)

Example-Afanasievo-Yamnaya-CWC Germany

Mit-U5a1/a1-Althausen-Found in the Afanasievo culture (River Kuyum-3,127 BC) and in the Yamnaya culture (Lopatino, Samara, Russia 3,115 BC)-This lineage was incorporated into the CWC and later into the BBC-Germany-(Augsburg-2,266 BC/Weichering-2,250 BC) and England (Windmill Fields-2,085 BC).

But don't worry, there are many researchers looking for L51 in the steppes for years, they will surely find it sooner or later, meanwhile saying that this marker or its descendants P310>L151>P312 are of steppe origin doesn't make much sense.

Real Expert, there are 46 samples from Bronze Age Italy, including the mainland, Sicily and Sardinia. Of those 46 samples, 4 are blond or dark blonde and blue eyed and they're all from Sardinia. None from the mainland, and none from Sicily.

That, to me, doesn't equal blonde hair and blue eyes were not uncommon in Italy during the Bronze Age.

If you want to interpret it that way, that's your prerogative, although I think it gives the wrong impression.

In the Iron Age, to complete the story, we have one blue eyed blonde.

We have more blue eyed dark haired people. We still do. It's really a "not uncommon" phenotype in Italy. I can't put my hands on the paper right now, but a very large percentage of Italians, especially in the north, carry one blue eyed gene. Even the percentage of people with actual "light eyes" is significant.

You have a point here. I used sloppy, loose wording since to me Sardinia is Italy. And when I said blond hair wasn‘t uncommon in BA Italy, I meant that is not impossible for ancient Italians to be blond. Next time I´ll try to be more precise in my usage of language. Anyways, it's a bit ironic that the researchers found in Sardinia that today has the lowest frequency of blond hair and blue eyes compared to other Italian regions, the only blond blue-eyed BA individuals. Plus, it is intriguing that blond hair and/or blue eyes weren't paired with pale skin among these BA individuals.

Related? yeah, but I'm afraid you didn't read the link you sent because Balanovsky expressly says this;

The resulting phylogenetic tree (Fig. 4a) demonstrates that haplogroup R-L23 splits into two main branches, R-L51 and R-GG400. The former includes West Europeans, while the latter comprises exclusively representatives of East European populations. Both branches are of similar age: around 6 thousand years (Fig. 4a). Note that members of this eastern branch R-GG400 came mainly from the steppe area of East Europe.

The currently available dataset does not contradict the hypothesis that R-GG400 marks a link between the East European steppe dwellers and West Asians, though the route and even direction of this migration is disputable. It does, however, demonstrate that present-day West European R1b chromosomes do not originate from the Yamnaya populations analyzed in (Haak et al. 2015; Mathieson et al. 2015) and raises the question of their origin

Regarding the paper on the CWC in Poland these samples belong to the late phase of that culture (2,400 BC), the Swiss L51 (MX310, MX304 and Asch25) are 300 years earlier and two of them are Neolithic farmers with hardly any steppe ancestry. Then the link between Afanasievo and those samples should be checked, you have to look at the female markers, because most of the CWC mitochondrial markers in Poland are from the steppe (Afanasievo, Yamnaya etc...)

Example-Afanasievo-Yamnaya-CWC Germany

Mit-U5a1/a1-Althausen-Found in the Afanasievo culture (River Kuyum-3,127 BC) and in the Yamnaya culture (Lopatino, Samara, Russia 3,115 BC)-This lineage was incorporated into the CWC and later into the BBC-Germany-(Augsburg-2,266 BC/Weichering-2,250 BC) and England (Windmill Fields-2,085 BC).

But don't worry, there are many researchers looking for L51 in the steppes for years, they will surely find it sooner or later, meanwhile saying that this marker or its descendants P310>L151>P312 are of steppe origin doesn't make much sense.

Who knows what surprises, maybe they will release some basal R1b-L51+ results from central Europe, in the conference this June; maybe Yamnaya?
Exciting, for those of us related even indirectly, L51+

Sometimes I wonder if there is a connection with [FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Kernosovskiy idol and Swiss stone stelae?[/FONT]

Hmm, strangely the samples do not populate, I've tried several different browsers:

9Z6lsw9.png

I will continue to monitor the study, to see if they do eventually.

Hmm, strangely the samples do not populate, I've tried several different browsers:

9Z6lsw9.png

I will continue to monitor the study, to see if they do eventually.

I found their statement about it at the very end of the paper and assumed it would lead to usable data. Sorry.

Perhaps if you e-mailed them?

Here I am asking you to do something else. :)

This thread has been viewed 42642 times.

Back