Immigration Largest Italian, Irish, Polish, Greek cities in the world outside their home country

My entire paternal side is mixed Greek/German, Greek/Irish, Greek/Scottish, Greek/Polish.

Scotland and Greece

Despite the fact that the two coutries are poles apart. i.e if we imagine a NW and SE axis between Europe's geographical extremes. The following YouTube shows the remarkable things the two nations having common. e.g. early Scottish kings had Greek names such as Alexander or Constintine and the relics of Saint Andrew were sent from Greece to Scotland. both nations have the same patron saint.

Of course if Scotland does eventually break away from the UK - there will be another thing that Scotland will have in common with Greece - severe austerity. Especially if Scotland tries to get back into the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNKT6WBwvo&t=298s

I should have mentioned Greeks. We had a large community of them in my old town. I'm surprised to read that they mixed so much with anyone. Here in New York, Greeks, more than any of the other ethnic groups, tend to stick to their own, perhaps because it's also a question of religion and Greek school. A lot of their social life also revolves around the church, although they did join our pool and tennis club. Two of my daughter's friends were of Greek origin, and unlike the vast majority of the other girls, they married relatively young, in their mid-twenties, and to Greek boys, older than they were, whom they met at church.
My father was the only one of eight to marry a Greek but he grew up in Cheyenne Wyoming not necessarily the hotbed of Greek American culture. You’re right I know tons of Greeks from Chicago and NY that remained ethnically insular. I was actually married to a Greek from Chicago and her parents (born in Greece) insisted on her marrying a “full Greek” which I thought was odd since I dated just good ol Southern girls.

Scotland and Greece

Despite the fact that the two coutries are poles apart. i.e if we imagine a NW and SE axis between Europe's geographical extremes. The following YouTube shows the remarkable things the two nations having common. e.g. early Scottish kings had Greek names such as Alexander or Constintine and the relics of Saint Andrew were sent from Greece to Scotland. both nations have the same patron saint.

Of course if Scotland does eventually break away from the UK - there will be another thing that Scotland will have in common with Greece - severe austerity. Especially if Scotland tries to get back into the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNKT6WBwvo&t=298s
Very cool. I’d love to visit Scotland!

It's so wonderful that all of this is available now. So many second generation Italian Americans completely lost the language because in addition to wanting to "belong" and be "American", Italian wasn't offered as a second language until you got to university, and there was no Italian media available. It's only recently that one RAI station was available with Optimum.

The Greeks had the right idea. Send them for after school classes in the ancestral language.

My wife and I want to make sure that our children have a strong connection to their heritage. We plan on going to Italy regularly with them. I don't want them to grow up as just thinking of themselves as "American".

My father was the only one of eight to marry a Greek but he grew up in Cheyenne Wyoming not necessarily the hotbed of Greek American culture. You’re right I know tons of Greeks from Chicago and NY that remained ethnically insular. I was actually married to a Greek from Chicago and her parents (born in Greece) insisted on her marrying a “full Greek” which I thought was odd since I dated just good ol Southern girls.

I dated a lot of people outside of my ethnic group too. A lot of Irish/Germans, I also dated a southerner Cajun girl for a few months too. My wife is the only "Full Italian" I have dated. Before that, the closest was a girl who was Irish-Italian.

This thread has been viewed 15370 times.

Back