steppe theory and western europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. Now we have an apologist for anti-semitism here. This site is going down every day.

First of all, you contradict yourself out of your own mouth.

You admitted the northern kingdoms adopted Christianity BEFORE the Muslim invasion. Second of all, you don't know your own history. In the 500s most of Spain was already Christian, not pagan.

"There is some archaeological evidence of Christianity slowly penetrating the Peninsula from Rome and Roman Mauretania via major cities and ports, especially Tarragona, since the early 2nd century. The Paleo-Christian Necropolis of Tarragona, with 2,050 discovered tombs, dates back to the second half of the 3rd century. Saints like Eulalia of Mérida or Barcelona and many others are believed to have been martyred during the Decian or Diocletianic Persecutions (3rd–early 4th centuries). Bishops like Basílides of Astorga, Marcial of Mérida or the influential Hosius of Corduba were active in the same period.Theodosius I issued decrees that effectively made Nicene Christianity the official state church of the Roman Empire.,[87][88] This Christianity was already an early form of Catholicism.

The 7th-century Visigothic church of San Pedro de la Nave

As Rome declined, Germanic tribes invaded most of the lands of the former empire. In the years following 410 the Visigoths—who had converted to Arian Christianity around 360—occupied what is now Spain and Portugal. The Visigothic Kingdom established its capital in Toledo; it reached its high point during the reign of Leovigild (568-586). Visigothic rule led to a brief expansion of Arianism in Spain, however the native population remained staunchly Catholic.[citation needed] In 587 Reccared, the Visigothic king at Toledo, converted to Catholicism and launched a movement to unify doctrine. The Council of Lerida in 546 constrained the clergy and extended the power of law over them under the blessings of Rome. The multiple Councils of Toledo definitively established what would be later known as the Catholic Church in Spain and contributed to define Catholicism elsewhere."

Third of all, the reason the Jews were money lenders was because the Church at the time made borrowing money at interest a sin. Then they realized you couldn't have commerce, trade, growth of the economy without borrowing money so they told the Jews to do it. The biggest borrowers from the Jews were the Kings for their armies and for the aristocrats. Then, when they couldn't pay they fomented the riots by the ignorant poor, although the incentive to kill the people to whom you owe money when you can't pay it back is obvious. Even if money lending wasn't what they wanted to do, they had few options because they were forbidden to own land. In Italy they once had thriving estates, there's proof in my own area, but the Church forced the state to, in effect, steal them. The Visigothic rulers of Spain enforced these and other discriminatory decrees. No wonder the Jews turned on them and welcomed the Muslims; they hoped things would be better and more tolerant under them, and they were. I would have done the same thing. When you totally mistreat people, how do you have the gall to hate them for turning on you? The fault also lay with ignorant, barely literate priests preaching Jews were Christ killers without even acknowledging that the Christ and Mary and most of the saints to whom they prayed were all Jews. How could any rational interpretation of Christianity lead to the conclusion that Christ would have wanted the people into whom he was born and whose teachings sprang from Judaism killed.

It's all complete nonsense, and to try to excuse it away is an abomination.

I also think you clearly haven't looked at the yDna of the Iberian peninsula, or contemplated why the genetics of the Pais Vasco, and more so, the French Basques of whom they once probably formed a part, is different from the majority of the Spanish people. As just one example, get info on the distribution of J1 and E-M81 in Iberia. Is it huge? No, for obvious reasons, but it's there.

Before you post it would be nice if you educated yourself about the topic, including the history of your own country.

I agree with many things you've said. However, the Quran does have stories similar to that of gospel and has stories from other non-canonical, Apocrypha, such as the infant gospels, but nothing straight from the New Testament. The Quran contains more stories and rules from the Torah, though. Ancient Arabia like Northern Africa was full of unorthodox Christians, so-called heretics. Hence, Islam was most likely influenced by Arianism who was very widespread in ancient times. From the Christian perspective, Islam is an antagonistic religion because it denies the core and fundamental teachings of Christianity, such as the divinity of Christ, the Trinity, the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of the Christ.

The thing is, that when the early Christians were in a vulnerable situation and a minority the Jewish believers behaved hostile toward them. Keep in mind, that Nero or other Roman pagan emperors didn‘t persecute the Jews but the Christians that were considered a highly suspicious sect/cult from Judea. The Jews were in a much better position than the Christians in Roman times. With that being said, Claudius, the Roman emperor ordered the expulsion of the Jews from Rome. So, not only Christians but Pagan Romans also expelled the Jews, at least temporarily. Expulsion as bad as it, is about getting rid of people without killing them. Besides, the New Testament is full of clashes between the first Christians, the Jewish authority, and faithful Jews. Again there were conflicts between Christians and Jews long before Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire or the Catholic Church, the most dominant institution in Europe. Anyway, in the Golden Age of Muslim Iberia, for much of the time, the three groups/religions managed to get along together, and to some extent, to benefit from the presence of each other. With that being said, even in tolerant Muslim Spain Christians were second-class people. It appears that many liberal scholars think that somehow it was okay for Muslims back then to treat Christians as second-class people, let them pay the Jizya, and turn them into dhimmi. Furthermore, not all the Muslim rulers of Spain were tolerant. Almanzor, for example, looted churches and imposed strict restrictions. We live in times where criticizing Islam is islamophobic, calling out people who happened to be Jewish is inherently anti-Semitic (or disagreeing with people of color is racist). In contrast to that, when Christians and Christianity are bashed, their religion vilified it‘s called progressive and critical thinking. Christianity is the most attacked religion yet there is no word about Christophobia. So, if criticizing Islam, Judaism is automatically hate as the PC brigade say, why is Christianity under non-stop scrutiny by the same folks yet this doesn't mean hate? This kind of double standard bugs me a lot. Futhermore, some modern scholars have recently corrected all the exaggerated or misconstrued tales about the Spanish inquisition, witch hunts, the Catholic Church/Christianity being anti-science, and Christian Medieval Europe being dark, that for years were taught and are still being taught in many schools or colleges as factual.

Yes, the Jewish people were oppressed in Christian Europe, but anti-Semitic writings and views existed in Pagan Rome, so prior to Christianity, too. Roman and Greek writers wrote pieces that sounded like a textbook for anti-Semites. Read Tacitus, or Cicero, for instance. Besides, I totally understand where you're coming from: There is a real, dangerous, and ugly anti-Semitism and hatred towards Jews out there which has to be dealed with zero tolerance. That said, not everybody who doesn‘t only praise but says critical things about Jewish historical people or individuals is an anti-Semite by default. We need discernment here. Let Gaska bring up his arguments, we can debate him and if necessary correct him, but calling him an apologist for anti-Semitism will put him only on the corner. Who knows, maybe Gaska merely wants to protect and defend his Christian heritage that is under massive attack by the liberal leftists in Spain who romanticize the Islamic past at the expense of Christianity. To these leftists everything bad and wrong is on the side of the Christians, native Europeans and everything, noble, good and right on the side of the Muslims. For instance, one left-wing Portuguese minister said that Islam is the soul of Portugal as if Catholicism wasn't deeply rooted in Portugal.

The comments I have made regarding the usurious practices of the Jews, are much more moderate than those made by Don Claudio Sanchez-Albornoz y Menduiña, the best of the Spanish medievalists, not suspected of being ultra right-wing, because in fact he was minister of the II Spanish republic for a left-wing party and president of the Spanish republic in exile. He justified the expulsion of the Jews in the hatred of the Spanish peasants who could not pay such high interests. It must be said that the Jewish religion also condemns usury but only for the Jews themselves, never if this practice is done with Christians or Muslims. That is the historical truth and that does not mean that Don Claudio or myself are anti-Semites. Regarding the Moors, I don't care what Western leftists may say about them, I only know that they caused ruin and destruction throughout Iberia and that only unity in the Catholic faith allowed the Christians to recover the lost territories. So many centuries of struggle forged the character and temperament of the Spaniards - sober, frugal, resistant, brave, cruel, proud, violent, racist, ultra-Catholic, it is easy to criticize us, but it is not difficult to understand the causes of our way of being. I don't know if the current Europeans will fight as we did, but seeing the behavior of the European Union I don't see much future for the western civilization. We are definitely fools

Do you want to know how far the stupidity of the politically correct goes? - In Spain, if there are flags or banners of villages or regions with heads of Moors cut off in memory of old warrior feats, they are removed because it can damage the sensitivity of Muslims. Or we change the names of villages with centuries of years of history for being anti-Semitic-For example, Castrillo Matajudios (Matajudios means Kill-Jews), or there are people who renounce their last name as Matamoros (Kill-Moors) for being offensive. Of course anyone who dares to criticize these nonsense is immediately considered a dangerous anti-Semitic or anti-Muslim racist. Doesn't it seem ridiculous to you?

The difference between Moors and Jews is that the Moors actually ran the country and controlled large amounts of territory. When you scrutinize the behavior of the Moorish conquerors, it's not necessarily ethnic. When you attack "Jews" as a group, it leads others to believe you have animosity towards the people themselves. "Jews" as a nation never ruled any territory except for Israel, and arguably, the Khazar kingdom.

It's like this minority on the European right that is pro-Palestine, hilariously, only because they want to blame Jews for everything, including the mass immigration of people who throw rocks at elderly Holocaust survivors.

Of course not all criticism of Jewish individuals is anti-Semitic. I myself am sick of every complaint about George Soros being twisted into antisemitism. Yet when you make a statement about Jews as a group, it becomes harder to defend.

Gaska: In regards to post 95 I am not going to get into the history of Spain, DNA of Spain, etc, etc, as I have mentioned over and over again, I stay for most part in my own lane with respect to Modern DNA, that is I focus on the DNA History of Italy and in particular Southern Italy and Sicily. However, in the context of the Catholic Church, while I am no fan of the current Pope (Francis) I am Catholic. With respect to Jews, It was the late Pope John Paul II who referred to the Jews as the "elder brothers in faith". Since Vatican Council II I think the Catholic Church, correctly, has worked to address the notions of anti Jewish sentiment that yes was present in some Catholic circles even in the 20th century. I think the fact that most of the Bishops at Vatican II were European and less than 20 years earlier, Europeans were killing each other in mass numbers in WW2 was a driving factor for the Council to address, correctly, this question.

Now I don't know your background but the only folks that I see still with the anti Jewish beliefs are the Sedevacantist, who hold the last valid Pope was Pius XII, who died in 1958. Some SSPX followers of the late Abp Marcel Lefebvre of Switzerland who died in 1991.

While yes I recognize secular Leftwing politicians in many European countries are de facto anti Catholic and yes try to remove the role Christendom played in the development of Europe (It 100% did in my opinion along with the foundations of Greco-Roman Culture) speaking only in the context of a Catholic, I hope you are not justifying anti Jewish sentiment in the name of Catholicism.

The radical traditionalists who reject the Second Council sure are a lovely bunch of people. Can't figure out why they deny the Holocaust–wouldn't have anything to do with admiration for the people behind it, I'm sure?

The difference between Moors and Jews is that the Moors actually ran the country and controlled large amounts of territory. When you scrutinize the behavior of the Moorish conquerors, it's not necessarily ethnic. When you attack "Jews" as a group, it leads others to believe you have animosity towards the people themselves. "Jews" as a nation never ruled any territory except for Israel, and arguably, the Khazar kingdom.

It's like this minority on the European right that is pro-Palestine, hilariously, only because they want to blame Jews for everything, including the mass immigration of people who throw rocks at elderly Holocaust survivors.

Of course not all criticism of Jewish individuals is anti-Semitic. I myself am sick of every complaint about George Soros being twisted into antisemitism. Yet when you make a statement about Jews as a group, it becomes harder to defend.

do you think criticism on Israel is anti-Semitic?
being pro-Palestine is not blaming the Jews for everything
by the way I'm neither pro-Palestine nor pro-Israel
it's not black and white

There are many leftists and Democrats who claim to be anti-Zionist and pro-Palestine, though. Some members of the UK Labour Party, including leaders, said a good deal of anti-Semitic stuff. You must have missed that. Here's the thing, anti-Semitism comes in all forms, from different groups and from all directions. Hence, the Jews today are not only confronted with anti-Semitism from the right, Neo Nazis, but have also to deal with anti-Semitism from the Islamic world and from certain leftists. Ironically, Trump and many of his voters that are labeled as white supremacists or anti-Semites by the media and the Dems, are very much pro-Israel. It takes a lot of discernment in order to distinguish between people who are real anti-Semites with sinister motives and folks that at worst have certain bias or stereotypes without really hating Jews or being Anti-Semites.

There are many leftists and Democrats who claim to be anti-Zionist and pro-Palestine, though. Some members of the UK Labour Party, including leaders, said a good deal of anti-Semitic stuff. You must have missed that. Here's the thing, anti-Semitism comes in all forms, from different groups and from all directions. Hence, the Jews today are not only confronted with anti-Semitism from the right, Neo Nazis, but have also to deal with anti-Semitism from the Islamic world and from certain leftists. Ironically, Trump and many of his voters that are labeled as white supremacists or anti-Semites by the media and the Dems, are very much pro-Israel. It takes a lot of discernment in order to distinguish between people who are real anti-Semites with sinister motives and folks that at worst have certain bias or stereotypes without really hating Jews or being Anti-Semites.

are they anti-semitic or against Israel? i consider myself center-left too, you would probably call me leftist, and i am extremely against the current politics of israel. the foundation of that state will always stay a crime against humanity in my book. i wonder how anyone can actually support what happened and is still happening to the palestinians. and all of this simply because the "west" was not able, or not willing to let jewish people live peacefully among them for several centuries.
btw the first person who told me about that conflict was actually jewish herself and she condemned the actions of israel.

are they anti-semitic or against Israel? i consider myself left too, you would probably call me leftist, and i am extremely anti-israel. the foundtation of that state will always stay a crime against humanity in my book. and all of this simply because the "west" was not able, or not willing to let jewish people live peacefully among themselves for several centuries.

That's way I say discernment is needed. By the way, I'm sure that there is real anti-Semitism on the left too, although not as pronounced as among far right groups.

are they anti-semitic or against Israel? i consider myself center-left too, you would probably call me leftist, and i am extremely against the current politics of israel. the foundation of that state will always stay a crime against humanity in my book. i wonder how anyone can actually support what happened and is still happening to the palestinians. and all of this simply because the "west" was not able, or not willing to let jewish people live peacefully among themselves for several centuries.
btw the first person who told me about that conflict was actually jewish herself and she condemned the actions of israel.

Criticizing certain military actions against the Palestinians by Israel, or the settlement policy, isn't the same as being anti- Israel and wishing for the erasure of the nation/state Israel. So, you can be even pro-Israel and still criticize the politics there.

I have been years ago in some Palestinian refugee camps in Jordan, Israel's policy is very complicated to justify, I don't think they will achieve peace this way. The last decision of Trump pressured by his Jewish family lobby was to recognize the right of Morocco over Western Sahara (former Spanish colonies) in exchange for the recognition of Israel by the Kingdom of Morocco and ignoring all UN resolutions regarding the decolonization of the Sahara. Now we Spaniards have problems in Ceuta and Melilla because the Moroccans send thousands of migrants (including children to our African cities). It is evident that the American foreign policy is mainly focused on defending the state of Israel, and that they are not interested in what we Europeans think about it. Biden? I guess he will also have to keep the American Jews happy.

I think it would be helpful to keep modern politics out of these discussions. I certainly never brought it up.

As for the Middle Ages, I stand by my position. To expect loyalty from a persecuted minority is ridiculous.

The Church and the State in the Middle Ages used the Jews to borrow money for the stupid wars in which so many peasants lost their lives, and for their trade ties, and then when they couldn't pay it back they expelled them or fomented "pogroms" against them. It was hypocrisy of the highest order, but it was a great way to deflect the anger which should have been directed at their overlords against vulnerable "outsiders". We were smarter in the Lunigiana; we've always hated the Malaspina overlords with a passion; they were bloodsuckers one and all. Heck, seeing their name littered over my mother's genealogical tree was horrifying; I console myself that they were probably just retainers who took the name. They're the last people with whom I would wish a genetic tie.

Anyone who thinks the heretic Visigothic Kings and nobles brought anything of value in terms of civilization compared to what was brought by the Muslims seriously has never read an objective history of the period in his or her life.

It's the same for Sicily. After the Romans the Byzantines and the Normans just exploited it, even the land itself, and the French were even worse. The only good stewards of the land in Sicily among all its conquerors were the Moors, and we have the honesty and integrity to admit it.

"A History of Muslim Sicily", by Leonard C. Chiarelli is a wonderful book and there is also a lot of material from Italian archaeologists and historians.

I have searched often but in vain for a book by a Spaniard with an equally balanced and objective treatment of the subject, but in vain.

Now I'm out.

This is an example of what the Muslims did in Spain-During a military expedition organized in 872 by the Emirate of Cordoba against the Kingdom of León, the Muslim troops reached the monastery of Cardeña, which by then had already been founded, and forced the Benedictine monks of the monastery to renounce their Christian faith and embrace Islam. Faced with their refusal, the Arabs put Abbot Esteban and his two hundred monks to the sword and destroyed the monastery. So it is obviously very difficult to find a Spaniard who sympathizes with the Moors.

I can assure you, I have not "missed" it at all. I myself am mainly conservative on social issues (by today's standards) and sympathize more with Israel.

are they anti-semitic or against Israel? i consider myself center-left too, you would probably call me leftist, and i am extremely against the current politics of israel. the foundation of that state will always stay a crime against humanity in my book. i wonder how anyone can actually support what happened and is still happening to the palestinians. and all of this simply because the "west" was not able, or not willing to let jewish people live peacefully among them for several centuries.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]btw the first person who told me about that conflict was actually jewish herself and she condemned the actions of israel.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Please let me know which country wasn't founded on some form of injustice. The woke ****s say this about my country all the time, and I hate it just as much. It is an awful thing to say, and anyone in their right mind from that nation would be offended. Is Saudi Arabia's founding a similar crime, since the Saud family pretty much subjugated the whole land by the sword?[/FONT]

I have been years ago in some Palestinian refugee camps in Jordan, Israel's policy is very complicated to justify, I don't think they will achieve peace this way. The last decision of Trump pressured by his Jewish family lobby was to recognize the right of Morocco over Western Sahara (former Spanish colonies) in exchange for the recognition of Israel by the Kingdom of Morocco and ignoring all UN resolutions regarding the decolonization of the Sahara. Now we Spaniards have problems in Ceuta and Melilla because the Moroccans send thousands of migrants (including children to our African cities). It is evident that the American foreign policy is mainly focused on defending the state of Israel, and that they are not interested in what we Europeans think about it. Biden? I guess he will also have to keep the American Jews happy.

You're too obvious. You are now pitting Jews against Spain even in a modern context. I can assure you, Israel doesn't consider Spain an enemy nation and they aren't obsessed with hating Spain as much as you are with them. But keep making yourself a victim of the Jews. Now you'll even support the Moors against the Jews, because I guess the Jews are the worst thing in the world. How exemplary of pro-Palestine rightists.

You're too obvious. You are now pitting Jews against Spain even in a modern context. I can assure you, Israel doesn't consider Spain an enemy nation and they aren't obsessed with hating Spain as much as you are with them. But keep making yourself a victim of the Jews. Now you'll even support the Moors against the Jews, because I guess the Jews are the worst thing in the world. How exemplary of pro-Palestine rightists.

he was criticising Trump and Israel, not the Jews
it's obvious you can't see the difference

@American

And how do you know what the State of Israel thinks of the Kingdom of Spain? In foreign policy there are no friends or enemies, only interests to defend and it is evident that their interests are diametrically opposed to ours. The United States and Morocco have ignored the resolutions of the United Nations and Israel has benefited from the agreement by getting another Arab country to recognize them. What about the Saharawis? since the Spanish decolonization they have been fighting for their independence for decades and I believe they will never get it. Trump has probably never heard of those million people living in the desert, nor does he care about their suffering, nor their future situation as Moroccan citizens. They will probably become the new Palestinians and we will hear again about terrorism, violence, xenophobia, poverty, mass migrations etc. And all because the American Jews remain committed to the viability of the state of Israel above all other considerations. In my humble opinion Trump's foreign policy has been a complete disaster for Europe (at least for the European Union).

And please, do not use victimhood to call anti-Semites to those who criticize the historical behavior of the Jews or the repressive policy of the State of Israel, we are all free to say what we want about it.

its all fine
You have the right for your opinion
But small question:
How the hell does the israeli-palestinian conflict
and the jews are related to the topic of this thread and the steppe ?

its all fine
But small question:

Absolutely nothing, but I'm afraid we will have to entertain ourselves until some interesting paper is published regarding the origin of L51 and the spread of steppe ancestry in mainland europe.

its all fine
But small question:

Good question friend. I am baffled...

Maybe this discussion should be taken to some other part of the forum, say opinions.

I really do not think there is anything to gain from discussing this but animosity.

As a side note. I believe in self determination.

The United Nations (UN) Charter offered the first step in the transformation to legality by proclaiming as one of its purposes the promotion of "friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples." (UN Charter, Article 1.2)

I do not want to further derail this thread with legal and political matters. And since I think Gaska is Basque, I will not ask what he thinks for a matter closer to his home than the Sahara or Israel-Palestine, such as Basque Country, or Catalunya.

But yeah, thess discussions don't belong here. Totally agree with you kingjohn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 12227 times.

Back