the introduction of domestic cattle and the process of Neolithization to Galicia - ES

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/a...PXpRz1iK-8EZveCGmLSc0zRHod7PAqh43KmmgVWKEFHXY

Cardial ware people crossed the Gibraltar Strait and went up the coast of southern Protugal
but very little is known about Neolithic Galicia

my guess : herders from southern France or from the Ebro arrived there

In the Cantabrian region, which includes the northern coast, Neolithization is dated to 8,000-4,000 BP, and there it is the result of a complex mosaic process in which hunters and gatherers lived along with settlers [25]. The first domestic animals of this region date to around 7,000 BP and were mostly ovicaprines, which were later followed by ***s and cattle [1]. However, much less is known about the region adjacent to Cantabria, Galicia, because no Neolithic sites have been identified in this region yet [26]. The oldest genetic information for Galicia is from the Chalcolithic period. It dates to 5,950-5,050 years BP and therefore to a time period in which settlers with domestic livestock were much more common than other forms of human societies [26].

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/a...PXpRz1iK-8EZveCGmLSc0zRHod7PAqh43KmmgVWKEFHXY

Cardial ware people crossed the Gibraltar Strait and went up the coast of southern Protugal
but very little is known about Neolithic Galicia

my guess : herders from southern France or from the Ebro arrived there

In the Cantabrian region, which includes the northern coast, Neolithization is dated to 8,000-4,000 BP, and there it is the result of a complex mosaic process in which hunters and gatherers lived along with settlers. The first domestic animals of this region date to around 7,000 BP and were mostly ovicaprines, which were later followed by ***s and cattle. However, much less is known about the region adjacent to Cantabria, Galicia, because no Neolithic sites have been identified in this region yet. The oldest genetic information for Galicia is from the Chalcolithic period. It dates to 5,950-5,050 years BP and therefore to a time period in which settlers with domestic livestock were much more common than other forms of human societies.

[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]There is a paper that demonstrates a genetic affinity of British and Iberian neolithic pops. "Ancient genomes indicate population replacement in Early Neolithic Britain", Nature Ecology & Evolution volume 3, pages 765–771 (2019). In other words, the neolithic anatolians reached the isles in 4000 BC after a westward navigation in the Mediterranean and north navigation in the Athlantic Ocean.

[/FONT]

There is a paper that demonstrates a genetic affinity of British and Iberian neolithic pops. "Ancient genomes indicate population replacement in Early Neolithic Britain", Nature Ecology & Evolution volume 3, pages 765–771 (2019). In other words, the neolithic anatolians reached the isles in 4000 BC after a westward navigation in the Mediterranean and north navigation in the Athlantic Ocean.

yes, but the ealy Cardial ware farmers crossed the Gibraltar Strait and settled in southern Portugal 5500 BC
the British neolithic is 1500 years later

yes, but the ealy Cardial ware farmers crossed the Gibraltar Strait and settled in southern Portugal 5500 BC
the British neolithic is 1500 years later

I follow with high interest your posts.

Perhaps I am wrong, but let me clarify my point of view:

In the cited paper: "Genetic affinities with Iberian Neolithic individuals indicate that British Neolithic people were mostly descended from Aegean farmers who followed the Mediterranean route of dispersal". For me, it means that the Mediterranean route was more successful than the "continental" route of the Aegean farmers.

It is likely that these "maritime" Aegeans were also more successful reaching the north of the Iberian peninsula, in particular Galicia.

I follow with high interest your posts.

Perhaps I am wrong, but let me clarify my point of view:

In the cited paper: "Genetic affinities with Iberian Neolithic individuals indicate that British Neolithic people were mostly descended from Aegean farmers who followed the Mediterranean route of dispersal". For me, it means that the Mediterranean route was more successful than the "continental" route of the Aegean farmers.

It is likely that these "maritime" Aegeans were also more successful reaching the north of the Iberian peninsula, in particular Galicia.

that's true, for sure
but there is the 7,2 ka Les Bréguières I2-M423 who were mobile herders with autosomal Cardial Ware DNA,
followed by the rapid spread of the subclade I2-L161 all over France, and in the Rhein-Mainz area (Michelsberg culture), but also in Els Trocs
the main clade in Neolithic Brittain was also I2-L161

F1.large.jpg

that's true, for sure
but there is the 7,2 ka Les Bréguières I2-M423 who were mobile herders with autosomal Cardial Ware DNA,
followed by the rapid spread of the subclade I2-L161 all over France, and in the Rhein-Mainz area (Michelsberg culture), but also in Els Trocs
the main clade in Neolithic Brittain was also I2-L161

View attachment 12856

Very informative post @bicicleur 2.

Let me show my summary about neolithization:
1. In the Cantabrian region it is around 6000-5000 BC.
2. Much less is known about Galicia.
3. CW farmers settled in South Portugal 5500 BC.
4. CW farmers settled in Les Bréguières (around) 5300 BC. In the PCA these people is positioned in the Iberia and the British isles MN clusters, if I am not wrong. It is reasonable, as they were the same Anatolian farmers settled in the Mediterranean coasts.
5. Do these two groups converged in Galicia? It is likely ..., but I have no information about who won the race :) .

Additionally, the map shows that FLR 4600 BC and PRI 4300 BC are the Western samples in France. Are these pops. the result of a terrestrial route, or of the maritime route after surrounding the Iberian peninsula? Or another neolithic meeting before the next jump to the British Isles?

Very informative post @bicicleur 2.

Let me show my summary about neolithization:
1. In the Cantabrian region it is around 6000-5000 BC.
2. Much less is known about Galicia.
3. CW farmers settled in South Portugal 5500 BC.
4. CW farmers settled in Les Bréguières (around) 5300 BC. In the PCA these people is positioned in the Iberia and the British isles MN clusters, if I am not wrong. It is reasonable, as they were the same Anatolian farmers settled in the Mediterranean coasts.
5. Do these two groups converged in Galicia? It is likely ..., but I have no information about who won the race :) .

Additionally, the map shows that FLR 4600 BC and PRI 4300 BC are the Western samples in France. Are these pops. the result of a terrestrial route, or of the maritime route after surrounding the Iberian peninsula? Or another neolithic meeting before the next jump to the British Isles?

there is also the genetic history of France, covering 7000 years

Naamloos.jpg

there are some samples near the lower Rhone and some along the Aude river, toward the Garonne
6,6-6,2 ka they were I2a1b, 5,3 - 4,8 ka they were replaced by G2a2

and of course there is the I2-L161 Els Trocs sample

View attachment 12860
there are some samples near the lower Rhone and some along the Aude river, toward the Garonne
Great reference! I have downloaded the paper (Brunel20) and surely enjoy the lecture.

View attachment 12860

If I am not wrong, the samples I2575 and I1392 are in the neolithic group but they have the France Bell-Beaker symbol.
If this is correct, the France Bell-Beaker people is more diverse than the British Bell-Beaker people, as it is the case of the diverse Iberian Bell-Beaker (e.g., Olalde2018).

This thread has been viewed 2578 times.

Back