The evolution of Spanish

Thanks.
But in the first Youtube run, I'm astonished they put so soon (very soon!) the transformation of the /g/ sound into a spirant 'gh'

Thanks.
But in the first Youtube run, I'm astonished they put so soon (very soon!) the transformation of the /g/ sound into a spirant 'gh'

Surely it must contain errors ... what is known of the vulgar language spoken in the Iberian Peninsula at that time (and in the rest of Europe) is very little ... for example, annotations in the margin that a monk makes in a Latin text , clarifying in the vulgar language of the time the words he does not understand ...

Surely it must contain errors ... what is known of the vulgar language spoken in the Iberian Peninsula at that time (and in the rest of Europe) is very little ... for example, annotations in the margin that a monk makes in a Latin text , clarifying in the vulgar language of the time the words he does not understand ...

I agree.
I have at hand a book about modern Spanish dialects and the 'gh' sound before back vowels ('a', 'o', 'u') was limited to some (sub)dialects and to some kinds of vulgar (urban) Castillan (itself under some dialects influences). But i have nothing about ancient dialects, nad if I had the most of old texts we can find are "official" versions, as a whole.
Sometimes, a change in the writing of a letter can evocate some specific pronunciation, but they had not IPA at the time, nor tapebands.

I want to say: tape recorder! Sorry

This thread has been viewed 2199 times.

Back