UEFA Euro 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
much will depend on KDB being fit
the Portuguese played quite rough and it left its marks

lots of surprises in the tournement

Once Cristiano Ronaldo retires, it is going to be quite difficult for Portugal.

Belgium can win their first Euro, they have the best strikers in Europe. I wouldn't mind if Ukraine won either.

According to FIFA ranking Belgium has the best team in the world.
That's what I've been hearing almost for 10 years now.
If that's true it would be nice if they reached the finals of a big tournament for once.
Lots of promises, but never got there.

Reaching the final of a major competition is very difficult, in the last World Cup the four semi-finalists were European teams. I remember when Belgium beat us by penalties in the quarterfinals of the World Cup in Mexico, then the Belgians had a great team. Now they also have a great team and it is their moment. If Spain and Italy fall, only England will be left to face the Belgians. It could be a unique opportunity for them.

FYI, He was banned for re-starting a topic which was closed, on the Steppe theory, in addition to already meriting being banned.

87HXbPm.png

I completely understand how nationalistic fervor can come to the fore during big competitions like the Euro Cup and the World Cup. I watched Italy beat Germany and France when they won their last World Cup, and it was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life as far as sports go, and indeed even generally.

However, it can go too far. It's one thing to point out as objectively as possible the strengths and weaknesses of the current teams. It's another to show one's animus toward a particular team because of one's biases toward that country or a person from that country. People do it both directly and passive aggressively, and yes, I know plenty of Italians who did that against the German team in that World Cup. Winning against Germany was almost more important to them than winning against France and getting the World Cup. It wasn't right imo. I don't like to see that sort of thing.

Of course, even worse things happen, as we know. I'm sorry to say it but the British team supporters have been particularly culpable in that regard, although I don't root for certain regional Italian teams for the same reason, and because some of them have organized fans who are fascistic and racist, imo.

@Jovialis,

I can recognize passive aggression against me too. :)

His ban was a long time coming. I hope it sticks. He lessened the reputation of the site, imo.

I completely understand how nationalistic fervor can come to the fore during big competitions like the Euro Cup and the World Cup. I watched Italy beat Germany and France when they won their last World Cup, and it was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life as far as sports go, and indeed even generally.

However, it can go too far. It's one thing to point out as objectively as possible the strengths and weaknesses of the current teams. It's another to show one's animus toward a particular team because of one's biases toward that country or a person from that country. People do it both directly and passive aggressively, and yes, I know plenty of Italians who did that against the German team in that World Cup. Winning against Germany was almost more important to them than winning against France and getting the World Cup. It wasn't right imo. I don't like to see that sort of thing.

Of course, even worse things happen, as we know. I'm sorry to say it but the British team supporters have been particularly culpable in that regard, although I don't root for certain regional Italian teams for the same reason, and because some of them have organized fans who are fascistic and racist, imo.

@Jovialis,

I can recognize passive aggression against me too. :)

His ban was a long time coming. I hope it sticks. He lessened the reputation of the site, imo.

Indeed, it really is a shame. Honestly, I think some of the ethnic conflict in genetics forums, and other places starts out with competitions like the World Cup and Euro cup, at some point in their lives. Then it snowballs into people trying to prove the other country has some kind of cooties due to their origins. It is sad really.

I agree but my bet would still be on Italy.

By the way, some days ago, 3 random Germans were killed by a migrant with a knife who screamed "Allahu Akbar“ on the street. The German Nationalteam however, instead of wearing a black ribbon to mourn these victims, wore an LGBTQ ribbon and went down on their knees for BLM. The same goes for England most English fans don't want their team to bend the knee, but the National team doesn't care and keeps on going on their knees from day 1.
This total politicizing of Football and one-sided pseudo-moral are a puke-inciting mess.
:vomitting:

Now the German team can spend enough time on their woke activism.

football has always been political. it's way too important for way too many people. the LGBTQ ribbon is imo part of the football tradition since football officials have always tried to give football an internationally unifiying progressive touch. maybe because they want to counteract against the dividing warlike nature that such sport events can develop for many fans.

FYI, He was banned for re-starting a topic which was closed, on the Steppe theory, in addition to already meriting being banned.

Well, then he had it coming. Some posters don't understand when to tone down their rhetoric and to take warnings seriously.

football has always been political. it's way too important for way too many people. the LGBTQ ribbon is imo part of the football tradition since football officials have always tried to give football an internationally unifiying progressive touch. maybe because they want to counteract against the dividing warlike nature that such sport events can develop for many fans.

And the victims of a jihadist knifeman in Germany are not important?

The tournament is wide open. Of the remaining teams in the tournament in order of who I think might win:

1. Italy (if they play good, tight defense)
2. England
3. Belgium
4. Spain (they really need to play defense which they haven't so far
5. Denmark
6. Switzerland
7. Chechia
8. Ukraine

And the victims of a jihadist knifeman in Germany are not important?

sure they are important. the german team could have mourned for them but for what? as a symbol against jihadism? as justified as it would be it would make nothing better. and how many people in germany does it really affect?

those statements made by the football teams are messages to their fans to show solidarity but also to those fans who do not agree with them. i doubt any jihadists care about the opinion of the LGBTQ ribbon wearing german national team.

anyways they could have done it but they didn't. i don't really want to weight LGBTQ vs mourning for victims of an islamist psychopath against each other. i'd agree with both. but one has more relation to football, it's players and fans and one doesn't really. the silence of the football community about for example the working conditions in qatar is way more problematic.

sure they are important. the german team could have mourned for them but for what? as a symbol against jihadism? as justified as it would be it would make nothing better. and how many people in germany does it really affect?

those statements made by the football teams are messages to their fans to show solidarity but also to those fans who do not agree with them. i doubt any jihadists care about the opinion of the LGBTQ ribbon wearing german national team.

anyways they could have done it but they didn't. i don't really want to weight LGBTQ vs mourning for victims of an islamist psychopath against each other. i'd agree with both. but one has more relation to football, it's players and fans and one doesn't really. the silence of the football community about for example the working conditions in qatar is way more problematic.

Come on Ailchu! These virtue-signaling football players could've expressed their solidarity with the victims, and show respect. Besides, the policeman who killed George Floyd is punished and sentenced to life. In addition to that, the family of Floyd got 27 Million $ compensation for his death. We already had enough riots, demonstrations, and expressions of solidarity for him and BLM. Why can these very recent victims of this senseless violence get the same attention and empathy? And yes the German and English football players could've shown that they are against radical Islamists or terrorists who kill innocent people. Why not? Racism is not only ill in this world, and hate comes in different forms, shapes, and fashions. It's upsetting that the German team doesn't care about the people who were killed in their own country, yet cry crocodile tears for a man that was killed in the USA one year ago. Bowing down to the BLM movement is not a virtue, thus has no place in football. It's obvious that you are left-leaning, but sometimes you have to get out of your liberal/SJW bubble and tunnel vision for a change. I mean no hard feelings. Anyway, I hope you understand that I don't want to attack you as a person, but I don't agree with your opinion. My point is that I have an issue with the selective expression of solidarity.

Indeed, it really is a shame. Honestly, I think some of the ethnic conflict in genetics forums, and other places starts out with competitions like the World Cup and Euro cup, at some point in their lives. Then it snowballs into people trying to prove the other country has some kind of cooties due to their origins. It is sad really.

Football not seldom triggers tribalism, the tribalistic instinct in humans. Some folks who take football too seriously consider a football game almost like a war, as we vs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 41854 times.

Back