torzio

Reaction score
Ethnic group
North East Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 - SK1480
mtDNA haplogroup
H95a
My cousin Gian grandfather is the brother of my grandmother paternal side ................i dont know what cousin that makes....maybe second

He recently had his DNA updated and is now I1-CTS6397

His surname has been in the Venetian lagoon area from 450AD ( according to italian records ) .

he plots

I wonder if it came with the Cenomani tribe into North Italy , settling near modern Verona, Veneto .........................maybe this is where I get my 20 to 30 % of french and or german from in all admixture tests.

The Gauls were divided from the Belgae to the north by the Marne and the Seine, and from the Aquitani to the south by the River Garonne, and they also extended into Switzerland, northern Italy, and along the Danube. By the middle of the first century BC, the Cenomani were a minor tribe that was located in northern Italy, between Verona (which they took from the Euganei) and Cremona. They were neighboured to the north by the tribes of the Raeti, to the east by the Veneti, to the south by the Roman republic, and to the west by the Insubres. The Cenomani name appears to be a Germanic one. It seems to break down into 'cene' plus 'man' with a small Celticisation of the intervening 'o'. In Anglo-Saxon, 'cene' comes from 'céne' [ke:·ne] (adj), meaning something along the lines of keen, fierce, bold, brave, or warlike, in other words, the tribe were 'the keen men'. There is also a slight possibility that they were instead 'the kinsmen', but the proto-Germanic form of this is 'kun-', and its Anglo-Saxon descendant is 'cyn' or 'cun'. So 'keen' seems to be more appropriate, as in fierce or bold. Once again this name, as with several others, seems to present a Celtic tribe that has been taken over by a group of German warriors. Other such tribes include the Aulerci Cenomani in north-western France

or maybe with the Semnones tribe who settled around modern Ravenna, they originate west of modern Paris, france

Can someone read latin and tell me what the link below means .................all I know is that it they came from the island of Torcello in the venetian lagoon............it is my grandmother line on my paternal side ..........her line is the one on the previous post

its a gold crown with 3 golden bones

First word is the old surname Basegi

Last edited:
If you can type a copy of the words as written, I will give it a go. I still have all of my Latin books, but I can't quite read the script. All I can figure out is that it does talk about the family and the crown and the three bones. I would bet it is a description of the coat of arms and maybe why it was awarded to the family.

If you can type a copy of the words as written, I will give it a go. I still have all of my Latin books, but I can't quite read the script. All I can figure out is that it does talk about the family and the crown and the three bones. I would bet it is a description of the coat of arms and maybe why it was awarded to the family.

I found this

The Golden Bones coat of arms was given to the venetian Baseggio family after the conquest of Constantinople in 1204AD. Giovanni Basegio, was honored by the Marquis of Montferrat with three golden bones on a field of blue, put in a row one above the other, to which Baldovino of Fiandra, elected emperor of Constantinople, added the crown of gold above. The Golden Bones replaced the previously held coat of arms which was a red stripe crossing a golden shield.

old one must be the left picture on post #2

This thread has been viewed 2143 times.

Back