Syrian Circassian I1 !

SuhilS

Reaction score
Ethnic group
circassian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
Hello everyone, a few weeks back I took a Y-DNA STRs test and I found out that I belong to the haplogroup I1 with all European matches . I am Syrian of a Circassian descent (my great grandfather migrated from the Caucasus (Adygea) to Syria through Turkey). now how is it possible that I belong to I1? and what invasion/migration is responsible for transferring the these genes to the Caucasus? And now that I know that I belong to the I1 haplogroup (L22 with 58% possibility) , what SNPs should I order to narrow down my matches?

Hello everyone, a few weeks back I took a Y-DNA STRs test and I found out that I belong to the haplogroup I1 with all European matches . I am Syrian of a Circassian descent (my great grandfather migrated from the Caucasus (Adygea) to Syria through Turkey). now how is it possible that I belong to I1? and what invasion/migration is responsible for transferring the these genes to the Caucasus? And now that I know that I belong to the I1 haplogroup (L22 with 58% possibility) , what SNPs should I order to narrow down my matches?

You might be of Germanic descent paternally, with Goths and Vikings being in Southern Russia, as well as European slaves and German settlers later. If you really want to dig deeper, better order a BigY from FTDNA or a WGS from YSEQ, because with any kind of package, sooner or later, you will get stuck and if you are really interested, you will have to order the full resolution anyway, at some point. If its to expensive now, better safe your money for it and *** it later, instead of packages which might bring you in a dead end or not far enough.

I agree with what Riverman said. I1-L22 is more chances of being Viking than Gothic though. Swedish Vikings did travel and trade all the way to the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea. But Adygea is not far from the southern border of the Rus' states. I1 is found among 5% of ethnic Russians through the Vikings who settled in the Rus' states, so it could also be that your ancestors were Russians who migrated to Adygea more recently (last few centuries).

1200px-Viking_Expansion.svg.png

Thank you Riverman for replying, I'm thinking of getting the Y-SEQ WGS but as you said it will cost a lot.

Thanks a lot Maciamo, now I'm looking for references to learn more about the Rus and the contact that they might had with the Caucasus.

Thanks a lot Maciamo, now I'm looking for references to learn more about the Rus and the contact that they might had with the Caucasus.

While Vikings, Germans and Russians are possible, I wouldn't completely dismiss Goths and Eastern Germanics, because those ruled regions close to the Caucasus for a good time and even more important, they had intensive contacts to other steppe people. In particular to the Alans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alans

Sarmatians and Alans in particular moved with Germanics West, but it is quite likely that there was, one way or another, gene flow to the East and South also. That's a question to Maciamo, whether we have Caucasian and especially Ossetian I1 already. Such questions could only be answered with a high resolution test and direct comparison with other matches, as far as these have tested already. There are really many options, even if a Viking/Varangian origin is probably the most likely scenario.

Probably a connection to the Crimean Goths, over the centuries they were absorbed into the Crimean Tatar and Crimean Greek populations.
According to Wikipedia the former had a complicated relationship with Circassians which among others involved the start of conversion of Circassians to Islam, raids on their lands and possibly some limited intermarriage.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Khanate#Relationship_with_Circassians

Where did you test ? Do you have any further resolution under I-L22 ?

Thank you lacreme for your reply. I took the Y-SEQ Alpha panel markers (the sample was tested in Germany), the predictors showed 43.6% I1 L22>L813>Y18927 and 42.7% Unsupported subclade probability (Nevgen haplogroup predictor) and I got L22 88.3% confidence (using Y-SEQ predictor).
Now I want to test some SNPs that might give more resolution. what do you guys recommend? do you think I should start with [FONT=&quot]DF29, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Z63, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CTS6364, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Z58 / S244[/FONT][FONT=&quot]?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thank you lacreme for your reply. I took the Y-SEQ Alpha panel markers (the sample was tested in Germany), the predictors showed 43.6% I1 L22>L813>Y18927 and 42.7% Unsupported subclade probability (Nevgen haplogroup predictor) and I got L22 88.3% confidence (using Y-SEQ predictor).
Now I want to test some SNPs that might give more resolution. what do you guys recommend? do you think I should start with DF29, Z63, CTS6364, Z58 / S244?

If that suclade is correct, then the Varangian Viking hypothesis is indeed the most likely. Y18927 is mostly found in Sweden and was also found in the Middle Volga region of Russia. It doesn't show up anywhere in southern Europe where the Goths settled.

Much appreciated td120.

Maybe from slaves of Germanic origin.

Here they are Kirroid.
[FONT=&quot]DYS391=10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS389I=12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS437=16[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS439=12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS389II=28[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS438=10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS426=11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DYS393=13[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]YCAII=19-21[/FONT]