Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Syrian Circassian I1 !

  1. #1
    Junior Member SuhilS's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-21
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    circassian
    Country: Syria



    Question Syrian Circassian I1 !

    Hello everyone, a few weeks back I took a Y-DNA STRs test and I found out that I belong to the haplogroup I1 with all European matches . I am Syrian of a Circassian descent (my great grandfather migrated from the Caucasus (Adygea) to Syria through Turkey). now how is it possible that I belong to I1? and what invasion/migration is responsible for transferring the these genes to the Caucasus? And now that I know that I belong to the I1 haplogroup (L22 with 58% possibility) , what SNPs should I order to narrow down my matches?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-03-20
    Posts
    529


    Country: Austria



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuhilS View Post
    Hello everyone, a few weeks back I took a Y-DNA STRs test and I found out that I belong to the haplogroup I1 with all European matches . I am Syrian of a Circassian descent (my great grandfather migrated from the Caucasus (Adygea) to Syria through Turkey). now how is it possible that I belong to I1? and what invasion/migration is responsible for transferring the these genes to the Caucasus? And now that I know that I belong to the I1 haplogroup (L22 with 58% possibility) , what SNPs should I order to narrow down my matches?

    You might be of Germanic descent paternally, with Goths and Vikings being in Southern Russia, as well as European slaves and German settlers later. If you really want to dig deeper, better order a BigY from FTDNA or a WGS from YSEQ, because with any kind of package, sooner or later, you will get stuck and if you are really interested, you will have to order the full resolution anyway, at some point. If its to expensive now, better safe your money for it and *** it later, instead of packages which might bring you in a dead end or not far enough.

  3. #3
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,557


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I agree with what Riverman said. I1-L22 is more chances of being Viking than Gothic though. Swedish Vikings did travel and trade all the way to the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea. But Adygea is not far from the southern border of the Rus' states. I1 is found among 5% of ethnic Russians through the Vikings who settled in the Rus' states, so it could also be that your ancestors were Russians who migrated to Adygea more recently (last few centuries).

    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  4. #4
    Junior Member SuhilS's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-21
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    circassian
    Country: Syria



    Thank you Riverman for replying, I'm thinking of getting the Y-SEQ WGS but as you said it will cost a lot.

  5. #5
    Junior Member SuhilS's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-21
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    circassian
    Country: Syria



    Thanks a lot Maciamo, now I'm looking for references to learn more about the Rus and the contact that they might had with the Caucasus.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-03-20
    Posts
    529


    Country: Austria



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuhilS View Post
    Thanks a lot Maciamo, now I'm looking for references to learn more about the Rus and the contact that they might had with the Caucasus.
    While Vikings, Germans and Russians are possible, I wouldn't completely dismiss Goths and Eastern Germanics, because those ruled regions close to the Caucasus for a good time and even more important, they had intensive contacts to other steppe people. In particular to the Alans:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alans

    Sarmatians and Alans in particular moved with Germanics West, but it is quite likely that there was, one way or another, gene flow to the East and South also. That's a question to Maciamo, whether we have Caucasian and especially Ossetian I1 already. Such questions could only be answered with a high resolution test and direct comparison with other matches, as far as these have tested already. There are really many options, even if a Viking/Varangian origin is probably the most likely scenario.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    04-04-19
    Posts
    77


    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Probably a connection to the Crimean Goths, over the centuries they were absorbed into the Crimean Tatar and Crimean Greek populations.
    According to Wikipedia the former had a complicated relationship with Circassians which among others involved the start of conversion of Circassians to Islam, raids on their lands and possibly some limited intermarriage.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crim...th_Circassians

    Where did you test ? Do you have any further resolution under I-L22 ?

  8. #8
    Junior Member SuhilS's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-21
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    circassian
    Country: Syria



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Thank you lacreme for your reply. I took the Y-SEQ Alpha panel markers (the sample was tested in Germany), the predictors showed 43.6% I1 L22>L813>Y18927 and 42.7% Unsupported subclade probability (Nevgen haplogroup predictor) and I got L22 88.3% confidence (using Y-SEQ predictor).
    Now I want to test some SNPs that might give more resolution. what do you guys recommend? do you think I should start with DF29, Z63, CTS6364, Z58 / S244?

  9. #9
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,557


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuhilS View Post
    Thank you lacreme for your reply. I took the Y-SEQ Alpha panel markers (the sample was tested in Germany), the predictors showed 43.6% I1 L22>L813>Y18927 and 42.7% Unsupported subclade probability (Nevgen haplogroup predictor) and I got L22 88.3% confidence (using Y-SEQ predictor).
    Now I want to test some SNPs that might give more resolution. what do you guys recommend? do you think I should start with DF29, Z63, CTS6364, Z58 / S244?
    If that suclade is correct, then the Varangian Viking hypothesis is indeed the most likely. Y18927 is mostly found in Sweden and was also found in the Middle Volga region of Russia. It doesn't show up anywhere in southern Europe where the Goths settled.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-02-17
    Posts
    99


    Country: United States


  11. #11
    Junior Member SuhilS's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-21
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    circassian
    Country: Syria



    Much appreciated td120.

  12. #12
    Regular Member AlfonsoVIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-12-20
    Posts
    25

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-A8053 > FGC37100

    Ethnic group
    Castilian
    Country: Spain - Castilla & Leon



    Maybe from slaves of Germanic origin.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •