2,000-year-old 'Freedom to Zion' coins that commemorated the Jewish revolt, found.

real expert

Reaction score
  • Two coins unearthed in the Judean Desert bear markings of the Jewish uprising against the Romans 2,000 years ago
  • The first coin was made during the Great Revolt and minted 67 to 68 AD
  • It has a vine leaf on one side and 'Freedom to Zion' inscribed on the other
  • The other was minted around 134 to 135 AD and bears a palm branch surrounded by a wreath with an inscription that reads 'for the freedom of Jerusalem'
  • The coins were found about a mile way from each other in areas believed to have been refugee for Jews who fought against Roman rule

The two coins were found in the same region, but about one mile apart.
The coin inscribed with Freedom to Zion was discovered at the Khirbat Jib'it archaeological site, just south of the West Bank town of Duma.
The other coin was found inside a cave on the Wadi Rashash cliffs, which dates to the Bar Kokhba revolt.
Dr. Dvir Raviv, who led the survey, told The Times of Israel: 'The Bar-Kokhba coin from Wadi Rashash indicates the presence of a Jewish population in the region up to 134/5 CE, in contrast to a previous claim that Jewish settlement in the highlands north of Jerusalem was destroyed during the Great Revolt and not inhabited afterward.
'This coin is also the first evidence that the Acrabatta region, the northernmost of the districts of Judea during the Roman period, was controlled by the Bar-Kokhba administration.

Thanks for sharing...(y)

P.s
If i could go back in time
I would tell my ancestors not to revolt
Against rome...
That was a stupid move...
Considering the roman army was a machine
Who won victories among many different tribes
Gauls and others who were much more stronger
Than the jews...

Thanks for sharing...(y)
P.s
If i could go back in time
I would tell my ancestors not to revolt
Against rome...
That was a stupid move...
Considering the roman army was a machine
Who won victories among many different tribes
Gauls and others who were much more stronger
Than the jews...

Although I’m not Jewish, I find it always depressing to read about the Jewish- Roman wars. The Gallic war, the destruction of Carthage, the Spartacus revolt are also not easy to stomach. Anyway, hate or love the ancient Jews, but you have to give them credit and respect for their strong will for independence and freedom. Actually, the Jews were good fighters and had a good guerrilla tactic, and they were courageous, resilient and fought like lions. Hence, the Jewish rebels won several battles against the Romans and caused them a lot of damage. That’s why the Romans were so infuriated and filled with rage when they sent their army to crush the Jewish revolts. In addition, to them Judea was this little rebellious province, causing them headaches and problems on a regular basis. The thing is, that Rome was not only a war machine, but also a never give up army. After a defeat, the Romans come back even stronger. And the more you resist and the harder you fight against Rome, the more brutal, and mercilessly you get crushed. In the battle of Cannae Rome lost 20% of their male population in a single day, which should have destroyed to Rome, but their only answer to Carthage was I'll be back and Carthage must be destroyed.

This thread has been viewed 1550 times.

Back