Please help me understand how J-ZS8811 ended up with an English place surname.

ThatChap

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Caucasian
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-ZS8811
Greetings Eupedia, this is my first post.

I had my first 12-marker DNA test done at FTDNA in 2007, and have upgraded each time the analysis technology advanced. I just received the results of my Big-Y, and it has created more confusion than clarity.

I cannot seem to find any sources in the U.S. which can help me unravel the mystery of how my ancestor, with J-ZS8811 DNA, ended up with an English place surname. My research indicates that English place surnames developed in the centuries following the Norman Conquest of England, so the obvious assumption is that my ancestor was already in England when he received a place surname. Why else would a later immigrant from the Roman-Eastern Mediterranean region choose the surname Hatfield?

I have traced my ancestry back five generations with traditional paper genealogy and DNA matching, to my ancestor Daniel Hatfield, born in Indiana/Illinois in 1832, in the first decade after those territories became states. Before that, nothing.

Was my ancestor brought to Britannia by the Romans as a Legionnaire or an "auxilia" to a Legion? Was he a Turkish galley slave freed from the Spanish by English pirates? Was he a Jewish tax collector, brought to England from Rouen by William the Conqueror, who later converted to Christianity?

I welcome reasonable hypotheses of how Daniel may have arrived in Indiana, carrying his unique DNA, and an English place surname.

Thank you.

How do I delete this thread? New data may have
made this question irrelevant. Thank you.

How do I delete this thread? New data may have
made this question irrelevant. Thank you.

Ask the moderators.
If you are the American smaple on YFull, your closest match is a Chinese, which kind of shows how far your ancestors might have travelled. You also have no overlapping matches with other Southern Europeans, at least on YFull, before the Iron Age. So unless you get closer matches which help to identify the ancestor closer, you could as well have ancestors which came with Celts, Anglo-Saxons or Normans.

This thread has been viewed 2324 times.

Back