bigsnake49

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Thracian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7558 (LDNA)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b
I was sent this lady's pics by a friend of mine that promised me that I would never guess her ethnicity. So I am asking for people's help. So here it goes:

IMG-0535.jpg
IMG-0536.jpg

Sorry about the sideways pics. Just rotate them. They are right side up on my computer.

Here are my guesses: The first one could be an American girl from any where in the US. Looks like the pic was taken in the 60s or 70s. The second pic is of the same girl but now she looks West German or Dutch.

Some background on my friend. He is a Greek from Rhodes and he was a notorious ladies man, picking up lady tourists at ease: Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Danes, Dutch, etc.

I was sent this lady's pics by a friend of mine that promised me that I would never guess her ethnicity. So I am asking for people's help. So here it goes:

View attachment 12820
View attachment 12821

Sorry about the sideways pics. Just rotate them. They are right side up on my computer.

Here are my guesses: The first one could be an American girl from any where in the US. Looks like the pic was taken in the 60s or 70s. The second pic is of the same girl but now she looks West German or Dutch.

Some background on my friend. He is a Greek from Rhodes and he was a notorious ladies man, picking up lady tourists at ease: Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Danes, Dutch, etc.

Maybe She is German. She somewhat resembles the Rio actress Carolina Dieckmann, although Dieckmann has a face longer than She, I think.

MlmmR90.jpg

JeEnZuZ.jpg

My friend tells me that her eyes are blue.

I maintain the prognosis that your friend's ex-girlfriend is German. The chin, nose, hair type, mouth shape, eye shape and color, skin tone are very similar to Dieckmann's. Her photo next to the bearded man shows that the girl's face is at the height of his chest, which, at first, says she is not tall. The same goes for Dieckmann who is a modest 1.62 m tall.

I don't know what she is, but she could be a lot of things, even Italian or Greek I would imagine, depending on the region.

One of my many first cousins...

As to the ultimate "source" of those features, that's a different story.

Ed. Sorry for the deletion, but I don't leave family photos up for long.

Last edited:
Angela, your cousin looks a lot like a cousin of mine looked. I have a second niece that has very fair hair well into her late thirties. You would never classify her as Greek if you saw her in the street. I would definitely be interested in the ultimate provenance.

Angela, your cousin looks a lot like a cousin of mine looked. I have a second niece that has very fair hair well into her late thirties. You would never classify her as Greek if you saw her in the street. I would definitely be interested in the ultimate provenance.

I think an arrival from somewhere in central Europe in the Bronze Age might be one plausible guess.

In my family's case, our area was settled by Celts/Gauls who arrived around the 5th century B.C. and then mingled with the "locals", although I don't think that cousin's look is particularly "Gaulish". Her mother, the red haired woman sitting next to her is another story. I always thought all my red haired, freckled relatives probably got it from those invasions.

Another of my many cousins:

One of the blondes, but in a more "Alpine" version, compared to an Uncle, who had a bit of Dinaric, to use that misused term.

A local with perhaps a bit of that look...same town, so probably a distant cousin:

Last edited:
My first cousin on my mother's side was a total "ginge". As you well know, Celtic tribes invaded and settled in Thrace during the 3rd century BC. I am sure that there was Slavic and Bulgarian genetic input. Thracians were supposed to be redheaded according to the ancient authors but I am not convinced that they were right.

This thread has been viewed 2547 times.

Back