The genetic origin of Daunians

Another reason why this paper claims discontinuity is that IA samples are different from Medieval and modern ones. Once again, within the same Mediterranean continuum, but not closest to them.

"Three samples located at the bottom of the PCA (ORD004, ORD019, SAL007) and one (SAL010) falling in the middle did not include modern Apulians among the top 25 results of an f3 outgroup analysis(Figure S3). All of them showed an affinity to Copper and Bronze Age Italians11 as well as the Aegean and the Mediterranean worlds (including Minoans, Greece, Croatians, and Gibraltar). A similar distribution is mirrored in the Multi-Dimensional scaling (MDS) built from the f3 outgroup134 measures, where the oldest IAA individual (SAL001; 1235 - 1048 calBCE (95.4%)) lies farthest from the modern samples, while the medieval ones (ORD010: 1078 - 1156 cal CE (95.4%) and SGR001: 670 - 774 cal CE (95.4%)) are the closest (Figure S4). The peculiar positioning of the IAA individuals casts doubt on when the major population shift resulting in modern Italian genetic composition took place. The shift towards the modern Italian genetic variability can be seen with the Republican-Imperial Roman samples6 , the latter being more “similar” to modern Italians (Figure 1C). Whether Apulian individuals dating back to the Imperial phase would also show a repositioning towards modern genetic variability remains an open question, although the later, medieval samples of this study point in that direction."

Well to be fair, I did say upthread that the Iapygians are just a component of Apulian ancestry. There are others that lived in the area, before and after them. As I also say, the father of ORD001 is possibly more representative of the population that was there prior to the Iapygians. But yes, they are all part of the pan-Mediterranean genetic continuum. If anything, I think those medieval samples are somewhat irrelevant, considering the history of Foggia, and demographic shifts during this period, due to ethnic cleansing.

The majority of the city's Muslim inhabitants were slaughtered or – as happened to almost 10,000 of them – sold into slavery,[1] with many finding asylum in Albania across the Adriatic Sea.[15] Their mosques were demolished or the buildings reconverted back to churches, such as the cathedral S. Maria della Vittoria.[16] Even most of those Muslims that converted to Christianity were sold as slaves.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_settlement_of_Lucera

We need to see the bronze-age samples from the region, as well as samples from the Messapii.

Why does one have continuity and one does not?

d6198fv.png

J32aoHC.png

Considering that I am not a academic in this field, the studies for Greece IMBO are not as comprehensive as they should when attesting continuity. They don’t have samples from each period. They just conclude that modern population and Mycenaean are similar so conclusion continuity. But who knows what might have happened in 3000 years without samples. For example, for the people of Dyrrahum it will be a surprise to have continuity to Modern Albanians even though they might be Greek-like aka Albanian.

Or as you said the Italian Academics might be woke. This is a plausible argument as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Last edited:
Considering that I am not a academic in this field, the studies for Greece IMBO are not as comprehensive as they should when attesting continuity. They don’t have samples from each period. They just conclude that modern population and Mycenaean are similar so conclusion continuity. But who knows what might have happened in 3000 years without samples. For example, por the people of Dyrrahum it will be a surprise to have continuity to Modern Albanians even though they might be Greek-like aka Albanian.

Sent from my ****** using Eupedia Forum

Lazaridis et al. 2017 comes from a more respected institution, and he is a more respected scientist. So I would defer to his opinion.

Lazaridis et al. 2017 comes from a more respected institution, and he is a more respected scientist. So I would defer to his opinion.

So basically you are saying, no need to test in between.

So basically you are saying, no need to test in between.

Of course we need to analyze new data as it comes in. What I am saying is that despite augmentation, Greeks have continuity, according to Lazaridis. Apulians are just as distant to the Daunians, but as mentioned above they're just one component among other Pan-Mediterranean groups. Nevertheless, they're all part of the same soup. Their affinity is just as close.

Of course we need to analyze new data as it comes in. What I am saying is that despite augmentation, Greeks have continuity, according to Lazaridis. Apulians are just as distant to the Daunians, but as mentioned above they're just one component among other Pan-Mediterranean groups. Nevertheless, they're all part of the same soup. Their affinity is just as close.

Scenarios are different, in this paper the discussion is about a certain region not the Italian people. To make it comparable, it should be for example Peloponnesus vs Apulia, if they have continuity from BA or IA.

Another reason why this paper claims discontinuity is that IA samples are different from Medieval and modern ones. Once again, within the same Mediterranean continuum, but not closest to them.

"Three samples located at the bottom of the PCA (ORD004, ORD019, SAL007) and one (SAL010) falling in the middle did not include modern Apulians among the top 25 results of an f3 outgroup analysis(Figure S3). All of them showed an affinity to Copper and Bronze Age Italians11 as well as the Aegean and the Mediterranean worlds (including Minoans, Greece, Croatians, and Gibraltar). A similar distribution is mirrored in the Multi-Dimensional scaling (MDS) built from the f3 outgroup134 measures, where the oldest IAA individual (SAL001; 1235 - 1048 calBCE (95.4%)) lies farthest from the modern samples, while the medieval ones (ORD010: 1078 - 1156 cal CE (95.4%) and SGR001: 670 - 774 cal CE (95.4%)) are the closest (Figure S4). The peculiar positioning of the IAA individuals casts doubt on when the major population shift resulting in modern Italian genetic composition took place. The shift towards the modern Italian genetic variability can be seen with the Republican-Imperial Roman samples6 , the latter being more “similar” to modern Italians (Figure 1C). Whether Apulian individuals dating back to the Imperial phase would also show a repositioning towards modern genetic variability remains an open question, although the later, medieval samples of this study point in that direction."

I agree that "continuity" is a subjective label and it is just the interpretation of the authors that decides when there is continuity or not (except in clear cut cases), but that bit is very misleading because it states that it is just the three samples located at the bottom and only of those in the middle that do not include modern Apulians among the top 25 results, which inplies that the rest does: it glosses over the fact that the majority of the IA samples do get modern apulians among their top 25 results.
As for Italians' biases, I too have the impression that some of their political ideologies get in the way of their interpretations: I do not mean they are ideologues, but it is telling how the 4%-16% variation in steppe ancestry in Myceneans didn't get interpreted as "a signal of cosmopolitanism" and how even the lately paper about the 22 samples from north east Italy that showed quite a bit of variation doesn't interpret that said variation as a sign of cosmopolitanism; for a comparison, it was evident that Rome was cosmopolitan and even the Etruscans to an extent, but I doubt that a population that was so ethnocentric that even resisted cultural influences from the neighbouring high-estimed Greek culture could have been cosmopolitan.
on the other hand I do think that Greek authors overestimate the continuity of modern Greeks with their ancestors: I've the impression that we can speak of high similarity but not of complete or near complete continuity as it seems the case in other areas, but also, I'd like to add, the nordicist theories, as of late reproposed in other anthrofora, do not explain the observed shift.

No, but I will check it out. Nevertheless, the point I was making was that Daunians are as close to modern Apulians, as Mycenaeans are to Modern Greeks, and Iron Age Latins/Etruscans are to Modern Northern Italians.

That's a given, since they are known to have been in Italy since at least 1000BC ...early iron-age

Well to be fair, I did say upthread that the Iapygians are just a component of Apulian ancestry. There are others that lived in the area, before and after them. As I also say, the father of ORD001 is possibly more representative of the population that was there prior to the Iapygians. But yes, they are all part of the pan-Mediterranean genetic continuum. If anything, I think those medieval samples are somewhat irrelevant, considering the history of Foggia, and demographic shifts during this period, due to ethnic cleansing.

We need to see the bronze-age samples from the region, as well as samples from the Messapii.

Why we dealing with a population that did not exist from anywhere between 250BC and 177BC ............when the romans repopulated the area with greeks and eastern-med people from 177BC?

clearly we need to stick to a population that existed from 1000Bc until 250BC

A population that imported all its pottery until 440BC, when they made their own and began trading with Greeks, Italians and Epirotes

We are confusing everyone once we jump outside this range of dates

Considering that I am not a academic in this field, the studies for Greece IMBO are not as comprehensive as they should when attesting continuity. They don’t have samples from each period. They just conclude that modern population and Mycenaean are similar so conclusion continuity. But who knows what might have happened in 3000 years without samples. For example, for the people of Dyrrahum it will be a surprise to have continuity to Modern Albanians even though they might be Greek-like aka Albanian.

Or as you said the Italian Academics might be woke. This is a plausible argument as well.

yes they are greek like and Peloponnese greek and not attica or thessally greek like

Dyrrachium, now know as Durrës was founded by Ancient Greek colonists from Corinth and given the name Epidamnos

Why we dealing with a population that did not exist from anywhere between 250BC and 177BC ............when the romans repopulated the area with greeks and eastern-med people from 177BC?
clearly we need to stick to a population that existed from 1000Bc until 250BC
A population that imported all its pottery until 440BC, when they made their own and began trading with Greeks, Italians and Epirotes
We are confusing everyone once we jump outside this range of dates
Are you suggesting that the population was completely supplanted by Greek and East Med people? No doubt there must have been some genetic influences. However, I do not believe the entire population that was living there disappeared. Vagnari shows that slaves were mostly taken from local sources.

I agree that "continuity" is a subjective label and it is just the interpretation of the authors that decides when there is continuity or not (except in clear cut cases), but that bit is very misleading because it states that it is just the three samples located at the bottom and only of those in the middle that do not include modern Apulians among the top 25 results, which inplies that the rest does: it glosses over the fact that the majority of the IA samples do get modern apulians among their top 25 results.
As for Italians' biases, I too have the impression that some of their political ideologies get in the way of their interpretations: I do not mean they are ideologues, but it is telling how the 4%-16% variation in steppe ancestry in Myceneans didn't get interpreted as "a signal of cosmopolitanism" and how even the lately paper about the 22 samples from north east Italy that showed quite a bit of variation doesn't interpret that said variation as a sign of cosmopolitanism; for a comparison, it was evident that Rome was cosmopolitan and even the Etruscans to an extent, but I doubt that a population that was so ethnocentric that even resisted cultural influences from the neighbouring high-estimed Greek culture could have been cosmopolitan.
on the other hand I do think that Greek authors overestimate the continuity of modern Greeks with their ancestors: I've the impression that we can speak of high similarity but not of complete or near complete continuity as it seems the case in other areas, but also, I'd like to add, the nordicist theories, as of late reproposed in other anthrofora, do not explain the observed shift.

you cannot have "continuity" of apulia daunian populace if it was fully replaced by the romans with Greeks and East-Med people from 177BC

Are you suggesting that the population was completely supplanted by Greek and East Med people? No doubt there must have been genetic influences. However, I do not believe the entire population that was living there disappeared. Vagnari shows that slaves were mostly taken from local sources.

the Vagnari are all greek and east-med populace replacing the daunians ...that is why it shows are completely new group of DNA

It is stated that the Romans replaced these daunians in that paper and in other papers ...........................one needs to remember that the further in time you go back the smaller the populace was and the easier it was to replace

the Vagnari are all greek and east-med populace replacing the daunians ...that is why it shows are completely new group of DNA

It is stated that the Romans replaced these daunians in that paper and in other papers ...........................one needs to remember that the further in time you go back the smaller the populace was and the easier it was to replace

Where is this written?

Where is this written?

Following the establishment of the Roman republic in 504 BCE, Rome conquered and expanded its territory into central and southern Italy. Roman armies conquered and acquired territories in central Italy starting in the 5th century BCE, defeating the Samnites over the span of three major wars (343 – 290 BCE), and expanded to areas of southern Italy by the 3rd century.

Historic records indicate that the Peucetian community was secured by a Roman consular army in 306 BCE. Depopulation of these southern Italian Iron Age populace was between the 4th and 3rd centuries BCE, and by the 2nd century BCE with the establishment of Roman colonies.

you can also look up Civitates and decuria of roman populace .................a decuria is , 1 for every ten men between the age of 15-50, no women, children or the aged

an example is roman Illyricum as per Pliny......total populace before the great Illyrian revolt was 207000 men ( not women, children or elderly ) , then divide this into decuria system ....................so total population would not have exceeded 500000 ...........take the 50000 dead and the relocation of 150000 ( as per roman historians ) and we have not much left in early AD times

Following the establishment of the Roman republic in 504 BCE, Rome conquered and expanded its territory into central and southern Italy. Roman armies conquered and acquired territories in central Italy starting in the 5th century BCE, defeating the Samnites over the span of three major wars (343 – 290 BCE), and expanded to areas of southern Italy by the 3rd century.

Historic records indicate that the Peucetian community was secured by a Roman consular army in 306 BCE. Depopulation of these southern Italian Iron Age populace was between the 4th and 3rd centuries BCE, and by the 2nd century BCE with the establishment of Roman colonies.

you can also look up Civitates and decuria of roman populace .................a decuria is , 1 for every ten men between the age of 15-50, no women, children or the aged

an example is roman Illyricum as per Pliny......total populace before the great Illyrian revolt was 207000 men ( not women, children or elderly ) , then divide this into decuria system ....................so total population would not have exceeded 500000 ...........take the 50000 dead and the relocation of 150000 ( as per roman historians ) and we have not much left in early AD times

Illyrian proper did not revolt at that time.

Illyrian proper did not revolt at that time.

what are you talking about .................I said as an example

There was no illyrian revolt in italy , what are you thinking of ?

What are you referring to with "completely new group of DNA"?
Is there a paper that shows that a region in Italy, Vagnari, was all Greek adn "east med" (by this I understand near east, from the Levant to Anatolia)?

My question was actually, where is this written in the Vagnari paper, based on aDNA, that specifically said they were supplanted by Greek and East Med people. As far as I know, they said the people were mostly locals and not imported slaves.

My question was actually, where is this written in the Vagnari paper, based on aDNA, that specifically said they were supplanted by Greek and East Med people. As far as I know, they said the people were mostly locals and not imported slaves.

I got it out of here

A PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN SIEGE OF BOTROMAGNO/SILVIUM: THE EVIDENCE OF SLINGSHOTS FROM GRAVINA IN PUGLIA (PROVINCIA DI BARI, PUGLIA)

Published online by Cambridge University Press: 29 November 2019

Giuseppe Schinco and
Alastair M. Small

Of 1,257 fragments of black-gloss ware found in the surface survey of San Felice, can be classified by type and (on visual evidence) by fabric. The earliest are drinking vessels—"Ionian" type cups and "Metapontine" skyphoi—in use in the sixth century BC. During the fifth century they gave way to new types mostly made in Metapontum or Tarentum in imitation of Attic forms, especially skyphoi and jugs suitable for use in the symposium. They illustrate the hellenization of the site in this period. "Salt cellars" used in banqueting are common from the late fifth to the beginning of the third century, and show significant typological development. Some other pieces straddle the turn of the fourth/third centuries, but the absence of types most typical of the third century suggests that occupation of the site came to an end around the end of the fourth or beginning of the third century BC. Since San Felice is likely to have been a dependency of Botromagno/Silvium, which was sacked by the Romans in 306 BC, that the site was abandoned as a consequence of this event. A few later sherds are likely to be casual scatter from the Roman villa below the scarp of the plateau. In addition to its contribution to the history of the late Iron Age in this area, the study is important for understanding the background to the foundation of the villa and of the village of Vagnari situated in the valley below it.

This thread has been viewed 147094 times.

Back