The genetic origin of Daunians

It is a personal matter I guess, you can feel proud and sentimental with what you so much desire.

I would think by now as a moderator over the years you would have noticed how contested Albanian connection to Illyrian has been, mainly due to political reasons.

Also I would think you would have noticed the countless posts about Messapic, very informative ones even from the likes of Johane.

Least you forget the weekly occurrence of such discussions years back...

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...anians-E-haplogroup-and-linguistic-similarity

Scroll through the thread and there you have it. One of many threads. Yet, Albanian posters were banned as unscientific nationalists, and such discussions patronaged. Tis one of many threads, but it should bring back the memory of where we started.

So no wonder, I and I suspect a lot of fellow Albanians would feel vindicated. Don't you agree?

Sorry for butting in, but most of the posters on that thread are no longer here. I don't see my name anywhere and don't have any memory of participating in it.

Certainly, I have a "very" clear memory of beating back racist comments against Albanians to the effect that they were late comers to Europe, the descendants of Ottoman Turks etc. etc.

On the other hand, there definitely were Albanians who were just as racist, only they were racist, or t-rolls, against the Greeks. Pardon me, but as a moderator, this was totally unacceptable; t-rolling is unacceptable no matter who does it, and the identity of the group being t-rolled. Also, anybody in the age of genetics who spams Fallermayer over and over again as an explanation for Greek genetics is indeed an a-scientific, nationalist t-roll.

The Albanians who were banned on this forum by me were banned for that behavior or for grossly insulting people who disagreed with them, or for other t-rolling behavior. Had I listened to the complaints and requests of many members of this forum I would have banned them all or at least restricted them to the forum for Balkanic disputes. You're apparently unaware of how not only unpopular, but downright infuriating members NOT from the Balkans found the constant degeneration of threads on genetics to t-roll fests.

Sorry, not going to allow the historical record here to be re-written. What other moderators did before my time I don't know.

Oh V13 is related to cremation, surely, because cremation dominated Thracian groups. However some of these early Thracian groups were not so much practicing it.

Cremation was not the practice of Illyrians, at least classical Illyrians, as represented by Glasinac-Mati culture, by the Messapians.. It was the practice of Urnfielders, but they were part linguistically of Italic group, then partly Etruscan group and Thracian group in the East. Illyrians were an older MBA layer that existed before the BA collapse, i.e. the J-L283 expansion which occurred in early MBA.

As many authors stated Urnfielders and Glasinac people were nothing alike, and both of them could not have been Illyrian. These results clearly show that Urnfielders were not real Illyrians. And this can be seen as I ve said in archeological evidence, all of those historical Pannonian Illyrians, they just started speaking Illyrian around 500 BC when the Glasinac people expanded in all directions.

Also from linguistic evidence Southern core Illyrian group with far less Urnfield influence was more "purely Illyrian", while the Pannonian group with heavy Urnfield influence had lots of Venetic influences, so this was apparent long time ago. Liburnians were their remnant.

Situation with V13 complicates also the fact that there were Thraco-Cimmerian influences in Liburnian areas as well! So some V13 presence there that is seemingly Urnfield may be Thraco-Cimmerian..

I have never seen any of this

The illyrians as per modern populations 70 % are in Croatia and Bosnia lands ..............another 10% or so are in Montenegro and cease at the Drin river ( northern Albania ) as per many scholars state

If you are Bosnian, your studies must show you what is the bulk of ydna markers in your lands ............Croatia has less than 4% of E-V13

Granted , slavic, gothic and other markers have influenced the area

To conclude ............the paper states, the daunians had no Greek admixture , gained roman admixture circa 250BC ..................when they arrived they had affinity to Croatian people ..............and does not say they had affinity to Bosnian, Montengrian or Albanian people ...................and they came from the north-adriatic coast

If people have a problem with this ..............write to the authors of the paper and let them know they are wrong

To conclude ............the paper states, the daunians had no Greek admixture , gained roman admixture circa 250BC ..................when they arrived they had affinity to Croatian people ..............and does not say they had affinity to Bosnian, Montengrian or Albanian people ...................and they came from the north-adriatic coast

If people have a problem with this ..............write to the authors of the paper and let them know they are wrong

How Bosnian, Montengrian, and Albanian people are ruled out by the paper?

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

which Halstatt culture...the 1200-900 when the celts mixed with the Illyrians in modern austria .......or ........800-600BC period when they mixed with italic and balkan peoples?

Hallstatt doesn't really start before 800, but this is what I wrote about the Channelled Ware, with some important quotations. We have proof of Psenicevo in Bulgaria being heavily E-V13, based on the leak we got. So I tried to investigate whether they can be connected with my Channelled Ware horizon theory for E-V13, as for the whole Incised Pottery groups of the region:

Going deeper, I see the big impact of Fluted Ware (= Channelled Ware, "Cannelure Hallstatt" in this article), as its called for Bulgaria in particular, which is part of the Channelled Ware horizon and related, at least culturally, to the centre of Gava:

The Zimnicea-Novgrad is considered as ?a totally different entity in comparison with the other groups?, i. e. the ?Cannelure Hallstatt? community (Gumă 1995: 109), especially for its burial rite. But, the basic type of Zimnicea-Novgrad pottery ornamentation is cannelure, or fluted ornamentation (Alexandrescu 1978: 117-119; Gumă 1995: 131, pl. XIII). According to A. Alexandrescu, ?the cannelures are regular d?cor? of Zimnicea-Novgrad cups (Alexandrescu 1978: 117). Also, these cups (or mugs) are the basic type of Zimnicea-Novgrad pottery; they have the form of truncated cone or hemisphere. M. Guma said that ?the cups with higher and flat handles (of Zimnicea-Novgrad ? A. R.), decorated by longitudinal flutes are similar with those from Vajuga representing the second stage of the Hinova-Mala Vrbica group? (Gumă 1995: 110).
So, in spite of presence of some incised ornamentation, it seems more plausible that Zimnicea-Novgrad culture belonged to the "cultures with fluted ornamentation of pottery". The first researcher of Zimnicea cemetery compared its ceramics with such cultures of "cannelure Hallstatt" as Vyrtop, Meri, Suseni (Alexandrescu 1978: 123).

But there was also this group:

But, Saharna-Solonceni culture is characterized by almost total absence of fluted ornamentation (Кашуба 2000: 313). Fluted ornamentation is very rare in the Kozia culture also (Laszlo 1972: 214-215; Iconomu 1996). Thus, we cannot suppose that Zimnicea-Novgrad took part in the genesis Saharna-Solonceni or Kozia cultures.

However:

The Sboreanovo group is defined usually as part of ?Cultures with Stamped ornamentation of Pottery? of Northern Bulgaria. Fluted ornamentation of pottery, however, is also a typical or even dominant feature for Sboreanovo group (Гоцев, Шалганова 2004: 60-61; Czyborra 2005: 173). Besides, the main type of Sboreanovo vessel (Czyborra 2005: 99-101) is the so called ?cantaros? (as well as Zimnicea-Plovdiv pottery (Alexandrescu 1973: 77-78, 81)). The ?cantaros? is a big vessel with two handles and open mouth; this kind of vessel is found neither in Kozia, nor in Saharna-Solonceni.
Evidently, it looks more probable that the Vyrbitsa tradition of bronze axes production was brought into the Carpathian-Dniester region by some population belonging to the "cannelure Hallstatt" community. It could be the Hinova-Mala Vrbica group. It seems to be a more preferable idea, as we see some other metalware (bracelets and fibulas) in the Carpathian-Dniester region that seem to be associated with the coming of Hinova-Mala Vrbica population. The Hinova-Mala Vrbica group made a substantial contribution to the origin of Kishinev-Korlateni culture (Guma 1995: 108).

There is some other argument to this idea. As it follows from the mapping of V. A. Dergachev, the ?axes with vertical lines? were spread in three areas chiefly: in central and western parts of Northern Bulgaria, in the Carpathian-Dniester region and in Transylvania ? in the area of Gava culture (Dergacev 2002: 167-169, taf.123), The Gava culture is a ?culture with fluted ornamentation of pottery? too.
It is really important that ?axes with vertical lines? from the Carpathian-Dniester region and Transylvania have a special ring at the back side. This distinguishes them from the ?Bulgarian? variant of ?axes with vertical lines?. The ?Bulgarian? variant of ?axes with vertical lines? has no rings (as V. A. Dergachev points out, ?isolated evidences? of axes ?with ring? were found in Northern Bulgaria) (Dergacev 2002: 168, taf.123).
But ?axes with vertical lines? from area of Hinova-Mala Vrbica group have this ring as well.
V. A. Dergachev suggested that these ?axes with vertical lines and a special ring? appeared as a result of some synthesis of Transylvania and Northern Bulgaria metalwork traditions (Дергачев 1997: 58; Dergacev 2002: 168).
Where did this synthesis take place? We can suppose that it was the Hinova-Mala Vrbica area.
Thus, the ?axes with vertical lines and a special ring? were spread in the ?cultures with fluted ornamentation of pottery? mainly. And, as it results from the mapping (Dergacev 2002: taf. 123;

I think that all these facts bring the idea that sickles and axes of Vyrbitsa type spread in the Carpathian-Dniester region simultaneously. It was in the first half of Ha A1, when Noua culture was replaced by Kishinev-Korlateni (see: Дергачев, Бочкарев 2002: 236). And just the Kishinev-Korlateni people brought this tradition.

It was pointed out that an axe and a piece of casting-form of Vyrbitsa tradition were found in the Radovanu settlement (Uşurelu 2003: 216). The ?Radovanu facies? (or ?Late Koslogeny culture?, as many researchers refer to it) is supposed to be the ancestor of ?Cultures with Incised Ornamentation of Pottery? community in the Lower Danube and Carpathian-Dniester regions (including such early groups as Sihleanu-Rimnicele, Tamaoani, Holerkani-Hanska, Balta). Thus, this is considered as evidence that early groups of ?Cultures with Incised Ornamentation of Pottery? community in the Lower Danube region were a main and direct heir of the Vyrbitsa metalwork tradition (Uşurelu 2003: 217).

But more important is the fact that in Dobruja and Muntenia "the Late Bronze Age tradition of metal production came abruptly to the end simultaneously with the end of Koslogeny culture and with penetration of Pre-Babadag or Babadag I here" (Дергачев 1997: 50).
So, it looks like the Babadag culture was a newcomer in the Lower Danube area.

https://www.academia.edu/4338117/Axes_sickles_and_Incised_Pottery_entities_Ha_A_Ha_B1_

A new period in Thrace, referred to as the Early Iron Age, started with general changes in many aspects of the local Late Bronze Age culture: pottery style, burial rites, and metal types. At the same time, all of the features of this period bear similarities to the previous period, supporting the theory of a gradual, though short transition between the two ages. The first phase of the Early Iron Age, called Fluted ware horizon, started with the LH IIIC period and continued through the Protogeometric period, according to Aegean periodisation. The LH IIIC is still the Late Bronze Age in the Aegean, and following the direction of the spread of iron technology from south to north, it would be more correct to consider this phase a transitional period than a real Iron Age. ?The horizon of the fluted ware? is characterised by decreased contacts with the Aegean region. Simultaneously Thrace became strongly dependent on the Carpatho-Danubian region because of its potential to provide metal sources. This development is most visible in the new pottery style that appeared throughout Thrace. At this time, limited traces of migration are visible in the archaeological records, both within Thrace (the cremation burial at Manole) and from Thrace (the site of Troia), with movement in the direction northwest to southeast. The real Iron Age starts with the next phase, called Psenicevo, when contacts with the Aegean were restored and became more evident than ever before. Thrace became part of the geometric koine, recalling the situation during the Late Bronze Age.

On the other hand, Psenicevo is very similar to the Ostrov, Basarabi and Babadag groups to the north and should be contemporary with them. In general, the first stage of Psenicevo should be synchronised with Ostrov and Babadag II, and the second stage with Basarabi and Babadag III. These pottery styles mark the geometric koine during the Early Iron Age, a result of restored contacts between the Balkans and the Aegean region, as well as the return of Greece and Anatolia to a leading role during this period.

https://www.academia.edu/7794465/Thrace_between_East_and_West_the_Early_Iron_Age_Cultures_in_Thrace

The issue is, that the Channelled Ware horizon encompassed practically all areas which later appear E-V13 heavy and gave birth to Incised Ware groups or at least heavily influenced them. Psenicova, with its proven presence of high levels of E-V13, just proves that "it happened" at that time already, which was a given, because the Fluted Ware horizon rolled over the country before. But this doesn't answer the question as to whether E-V13 was part of a Gava subgroup, a Belegis subgroup, or another one taking part in the Channelled Ware horizon. It just proves that after the Channelled Ware horizon, unlike before, E-V13 was present and strong in areas like Svilengrad, in groups like Psenicevo. That's like looking at post-Bell Beaker cultures and stating that R1b was now in Western Europe. My guess is that for most of the regions involved the Channelled/Fluted Ware horizon and early Hallstatt were for E-V13 similar to Bell Beakers for R1b in Western Europe.

Sorry for butting in, but most of the posters on that thread are no longer here. I don't see my name anywhere and don't have any memory of participating in it.

Certainly, I have a "very" clear memory of beating back racist comments against Albanians to the effect that they were late comers to Europe, the descendants of Ottoman Turks etc. etc.

On the other hand, there definitely were Albanians who were just as racist, only they were racist, or t-rolls, against the Greeks. Pardon me, but as a moderator, this was totally unacceptable; t-rolling is unacceptable no matter who does it, and the identity of the group being t-rolled. Also, anybody in the age of genetics who spams Fallermayer over and over again as an explanation for Greek genetics is indeed an a-scientific, nationalist t-roll.

The Albanians who were banned on this forum by me were banned for that behavior or for grossly insulting people who disagreed with them, or for other t-rolling behavior. Had I listened to the complaints and requests of many members of this forum I would have banned them all or at least restricted them to the forum for Balkanic disputes. You're apparently unaware of how not only unpopular, but downright infuriating members NOT from the Balkans found the constant degeneration of threads on genetics to t-roll fests.

Sorry, not going to allow the historical record here to be re-written. What other moderators did before my time I don't know.

Certainly true Angela.

Even I deserved bans at times, and rightfully got them more often then not.. Precisely for disagreements with some Greek members early on after I registered, before I became a veteran of these troll games. Was mostly an observer before and saw no point in posting, mainly hit eupedia researching history and genetics.

Thing is it would be hard to say anyone is unbiased, even you. Mods on this forum have been far more cordial with Greek tolls than Albanian ones. As far as I am concerned the ban hammer should be equally heavy.
Nik and Laberia got perma banned cause of Parapolitikos bullsh*t and toll baits and provocations. Yet, as I mentioned couple of posts up, his thread is the only active post on Albanians, cause again Greek tolls are tolerated, meanwhile the Who are the Albanians thread got closed cause of different genetic projects taking their grievances out in public.

People saying 1/10th of what has been said about Albanians/ and representative haplogroups, about Italians or Greeks would immediately get flamed out of this forum. I have seen so myself, especially when some dubious accounts with western flags would comment on south Italians being MENAs.

BTW, does anyone know if the files from this study have been posted anywhere? Nothing on ENA it seems. I see that people are examining the Y-DNA.

The BAM files are not out yet. People have been doing what analysis they can through the addendums of the preprint. Data 1 Tab C seems to be where they base their analysis.

because they do not match with the Daunians

Why are you so stubborn?

The paper states there is some connection with Croatian Iron Age sample, by Croatian it just means geographic connotation. Not modern Croatian population.

And they were not related to Cetina Culture, whoever Cetina were J2b2-L283 came slightly later after Cetina ceased to exist(i think 2200-2000 B.C), i suspect the late Cetina might have been some Yamnaya males R1b-Z2103 older clades mated with Cetina females. The original Cetina people might have been G2a as was the norm of Neolithic Europe.

And yes, as Riverman has already been explaining, Cetina Culture = E-V13 is a dead hypothesis as well. The oldest E-V13 subclades started branching in Alps => Carpathian mountain corridor.

Why are you so stubborn?

The paper states there is some connection with Croatian Iron Age sample, by Croatian it just means geographic connotation. Not modern Croatian population.

And they were not related to Cetina Culture, whoever Cetina were J2b2-L283 came slightly later after Cetina ceased to exist(i think 2200-2000 B.C), i suspect the late Cetina might have been some Yamnaya males R1b-Z2103 older clades mated with Cetina females. The original Cetina people might have been G2a as was the norm of Neolithic Europe.

And yes, as Riverman has already been explaining, Cetina Culture = E-V13 is a dead hypothesis as well. The oldest E-V13 subclades started branching in Alps => Carpathian mountain corridor.

it states

Do you think the authors do not know about Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania !

if these daunians had affinity with these , they would have said it

it states

Torzio was making a point that these Puglians were plotting closest to BA Croatians, and not BA Montenegrins or Bosnians. But he failed to mention we have no DNA from MBA-LBA DNA from Montenegro and Bosnia. And I found that remark peculiar.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

it states

We still lack data from inner Balkans by the way. So, i guess we should wait for more samples to build this whole mosaique.

because they do not match with the Daunians

You mean modern population or ancient ones?
I thought that was due to lack of ancient samples from these countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

We still lack data from inner Balkans by the way. So, i guess we should wait for more samples to build this whole mosaique.

Just wait till the Albanian samples are published, then watch some mental gymnastics.

I thought after this paper there would be no mental gymnastics, yet torzio proves me wrong.

Lack of evidence is not evidence. Lack of proof is being taken by Torzio as proof to the contrary. Total misinterpretation of the facts at hand.

Just wait till the Albanian samples are published, then watch some mental gymnastics.

I thought after this paper there would be no mental gymnastics, yet torzio proves me wrong.

Lack of evidence is not evidence. Lack of proof is being taken by Torzio as proof to the contrary. Total misinterpretation of the facts at hand.

Maximum i can guess Albanian hinterland samples are slightly more related to Greeks and Thracians while the Dalmatian ones more to Italians, but overall all of the aforementioned populations on autosomal were related prior to Slavic migrations anyway and probably the hypothetically Anatolian input during Byzantine times.

From my eyes it seems that those samples are intermediate between Bronze Age Sicilians and and Tuscans. They are fairly heterogenous. Some are really close to central Italians therefore way closer to Apulians than the Bronze Age Sicilians are. We also need samples from Messapians. The south ones.
I can't wait to see those samples in amateur calculators, this academic PCA sucks.

From my eyes it seems that those samples are intermediate between Bronze Age Sicilians and and Tuscans. They are fairly heterogenous. Some are really close to central Italians therefore way closer to Apulians than the Bronze Age Sicilians are. We also need samples from Messapians. The south ones.
I can't wait to see those samples in amateur calculators, this academic PCA sucks.

they are the same people in origin

all scholars, Italians and others state they arrived from the North-Adriatic balkan coast .

a summary
-Daunians moved from Liburnia and hinterland between 1100-1000 BC to Italy.
-The Daunians only traded with Liburnia until circa 450BC ...............trade in pottery, silica, arms and other goods
-There was no Greek influence as per what the paper states as well as other papers.
-in 440BC they began making their owns pots to trade to Epirus, Greek states and Italians.
-In 250BC , they where absorbed into Roman society and from then began to disappear.

When the 36 samples from Nadin-gradine in Croatia are fully analyzed then it will further state they are from the northern balkans

Liburnian samples so far

they are the same people in origin

all scholars, Italians and others state they arrived from the North-Adriatic balkan coast .

a summary
-Daunians moved from Liburnia and hinterland between 1100-1000 BC to Italy.
-The Daunians only traded with Liburnia until circa 450BC ...............trade in pottery, silica, arms and other goods
-There was no Greek influence as per what the paper states as well as other papers.
-in 440BC they began making their owns pots to trade to Epirus, Greek states and Italians.
-In 250BC , they where absorbed into Roman society and from then began to disappear.

When the 36 samples from Nadin-gradine in Croatia are fully analyzed then it will further state they are from the northern balkans

Liburnian samples so far
Yes but one sample was essentially Mycenean-like. And overall the samples are heterogenous, for such a small area. We need southern samples too.

Certainly true Angela.

Even I deserved bans at times, and rightfully got them more often then not.. Precisely for disagreements with some Greek members early on after I registered, before I became a veteran of these troll games. Was mostly an observer before and saw no point in posting, mainly hit eupedia researching history and genetics.

Thing is it would be hard to say anyone is unbiased, even you. Mods on this forum have been far more cordial with Greek tolls than Albanian ones. As far as I am concerned the ban hammer should be equally heavy.
Nik and Laberia got perma banned cause of Parapolitikos bullsh*t and toll baits and provocations. Yet, as I mentioned couple of posts up, his thread is the only active post on Albanians, cause again Greek tolls are tolerated, meanwhile the Who are the Albanians thread got closed cause of different genetic projects taking their grievances out in public.

People saying 1/10th of what has been said about Albanians/ and representative haplogroups, about Italians or Greeks would immediately get flamed out of this forum. I have seen so myself, especially when some dubious accounts with western flags would comment on south Italians being MENAs.

Well, I'm glad we've gotten down to the core of the issue. Claiming that Albanians are descendants of Ottomans is t-rolling behavior, as I pointed out more than once. In fact, if my memory serves I had running disputes with Serbians, I think it was, and pointed out, again more than once, that the Albanians had been in the Balkans far longer than any Slavs, who were late comers.

However, disagreeing with Albanians on certain topics, or finding that the Greek members, when there are any, have some valid points, is not t-rolling Albanians. Certain Italians and Italian Americans started their own site in response to t-rolling behavior. I never joined or read it beyond a few initial visits, because first, they did more than their own fair share of t-rolling, and secondly, they refused to accept certain facts which the genetics made clear.

I've never done either. I try to be as objective as is humanly possible. If I agree with certain things Greek members have said (by no means all), then it is because I believe the science is on their side on certain matters; it has absolutely nothing to do with any bias for them as a group or against Albanians, although to be completely honest, given how Albanian members have spoken to and about me, both here and even worse, in PMs, it required an effort of will to refuse to let that affect my decisions.

When someone disagrees with the "Albanian" point of view, it isn't necessarily out of any animus, or t-rolling. It can be an honest expression of how someone interprets the data, and even more so, at least in my case, a belief that the data is "not" in, and that people are just speculating to an incredible degree. Now, sometimes, when you speculate, you turn out to be right, sometimes you don't. It doesn't really change the fact that you didn't have enough evidence when you came to your conclusion.

As to the constant song about how much MENA there is in Southern Italians, the discussions are so a-scientific as to be laughable in most cases. Using that outmoded terminology for the sake of the argument, I couldn't give a rat's you know what if it were 90% of the genetic material. People persist in thinking that their own prejudices, biases, call them what you will, are universal. They're not. Believe me, both my husband, who is actually Southern Italian, and I, who married him, would be a lot more concerned if his ancestry consisted of large percentages of other ethnicities, and I mean European ones. My problem with the people on sites like anthrogenica is that they're ignorant as well as biased. Just look at what they promoted for YEARS about the Etruscans. You think I would have cared personally if it turned out that they came to Italy from Anatolia in the first millennium B.C.? If you do you haven't read many of my posts and you don't know me. The fact was that the archaeology and the history and what little ancient dna we had (mtDna) was all against that conclusion. So, who was wrong and who was right? Anyone remember the prediction that the Mycenaeans were going to be blonde haired, blue eyed virtual identical copies of Corded Ware? How about all that "modeling" showing those huge percentages of steppe all over northern India? Did any of all that incredibly bad analysis, and the examples are too numerous to mention, teach certain people some humility? No, it absolutely didn't.

In fact, my track record all round is infinitely better than that of the members on that site and than the likes of someone like Eurogenes. That's because I don't let ascertainment bias influence me, and instead read everything available and then judge as best and as objectively as possible where the answer might lie. If I don't have enough data, I say so. I spent my entire professional life dealing with issues that way, and I wasn't going to change that when the topic was population genetics.

This thread has been viewed 146721 times.

Back