E-y145455

pdickinson2021

Reaction score
I recently did the Big Y test on FamilyTreeDNA and had my results analyzed on YFull. My haplogroup is E-Y145455. My earliest known paternal ancestor is a Thomas Dickeson/Dixeson who immigrated to Virginia in 1704 from somewhere in the British Isles. Pulling a lot of documentary evidence together, he was probably from the midlands or north of England. Does anyone have a resource that discusses E-Y145455 in the British isles? Thanks.

I recently did the Big Y test on FamilyTreeDNA and had my results analyzed on YFull. My haplogroup is E-Y145455. My earliest known paternal ancestor is a Thomas Dickeson/Dixeson who immigrated to Virginia in 1704 from somewhere in the British Isles. Pulling a lot of documentary evidence together, he was probably from the midlands or north of England. Does anyone have a resource that discusses E-Y145455 in the British isles? Thanks.

Is https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Y145455/
Your terminal clade or is it still work in progress?

Generally speaking, your clade is just like most major clades of E-V13, subclades appear everywhere in Europe and beyond. To get to something which can be associated with historical people migrating or even some genealogical association, you simply need to have closer matches. If E-Y145455* is your current position, with no further downstream assignment, there is not much to tell. The age of the branch is about 3.600-4.000 BP, so we're talking about the Bronze Age.

I know its frustrating, but think of it as being a pioneer. You set one first dot for your lineage, probably another one will follow and you can connect. At this point, its all in the dark, unless you're still being processed and assigned to a subclade later.

SNP tracker puts your haplogroup in Greece:
http://scaledinnovation.com/gg/snpTracker.html

But while the tool is nice, in this case its not reliable, because that's just the midpoint between those marching North and marching South. There are, in any case, many samples from the North for your clade, some from England, fairly old ones. So its possible it entered Britain with the Iron Age continental Celts. But that's just a suggestion, with some probability. We can't really know without more ancient and modern samples. You will need patience.

Thank you for that very thoughtful answer. It is my terminal clade at present, although I sent my BAM file to YFull yesterday who are analyzing it, so perhaps it will be refined further. Otherwise, I will just have to be content with being a pioneer, which isn't such a bad thing.

This thread has been viewed 1629 times.

Back