Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
People who live in France in many departments to the north of the Pyrenees, are genetically Spanish-like:

https://yourrootsdna.blogspot.com/2021/09/the-pyrenees-are-not-genetic-border.html

PCA_France.png

FR_Departments.png

Much more easy to cross compared to the Alps

Inviato dal mio POT-LX1T utilizzando Tapatalk

And the southeast French aren't far from Italians.

nothing new .........old historical knowledge

............. know fact, that the Iberian border was the Rhone river and across that river began the Ligurians

Northern Italians?

Yes, although I can't prove it; I know of no academic samples from Provence.

Certainly I think that would be true of the coastal areas, i.e. Nizza, Monaco, Antibe, all the way up to Marseilles etc. For one thing, Italian surnames seem almost as common as French ones there. Plus, it was one of the first and most heavenly colonized Roman provinces. The most colonized was southern Spain.

Thanks Tomenable for that PCA chart - entirely consistent with all my ancestry results which show a predominantly Iberian peninsula (deep) ancestry even though my ancestors up to 6 generations back were all from south-western France, Pyrenees and a few in north western France. The mtDNA haplogroup I carry is also considered native to the Franco-Cantabrian region while my Y haplogroup peaks in frequency in Aragon Spain (where the village of Olivan is located and which surname I share)

I could also imagine that Greek settlement before Roman conquest around modern day Provence (and certainly Marseille) would have left a footprint - there's a bit of J2 haplogroup in France (circa 4%) and much of around the southeast. It's a common haplogroup in modern day Greece and southern Italy, also connected with Greek expansion in the Mediterranean prior to the full thrust of Roman imperial power

People who live in France in many departments to the north of the Pyrenees, are genetically Spanish-like

This was already known. The real difference is with the rest of France.

Yes, although I can't prove it; I know of no academic samples from Provence.

Certainly I think that would be true of the coastal areas, i.e. Nizza, Monaco, Antibe, all the way up to Marseilles etc. For one thing, Italian surnames seem almost as common as French ones there. Plus, it was one of the first and most heavenly colonized Roman provinces. The most colonized was southern Spain.

There is an academic sample from Provence that is used in some amateur calculator and ends up closer to northern Italy.

I could also imagine that Greek settlement before Roman conquest around modern day Provence (and certainly Marseille) would have left a footprint - there's a bit of J2 haplogroup in France (circa 4%) and much of around the southeast. It's a common haplogroup in modern day Greece and southern Italy, also connected with Greek expansion in the Mediterranean prior to the full thrust of Roman imperial power

J2 is also in the rest of Europe, it depends a lot on the clade, because some J2 clades have been in Europe since at least the Neolithic.

Haplogroup-J2.png

This thread has been viewed 3672 times.

Back