AncestryDNA Is AncestryDNA accurate?

Hioloi

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Turkish, Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-Z17855
Hello everyone! I am new to dna testing and dna calculators. After I recieved my AncestryDna results I wanted to know more and more.

I am originally from western Turkey (Aydin) yet scored 70% Turkey/Caucasus but when uploading my dna to gedmatch I've gotten turkish results then I uploaded them to Vahaduo and got lots of greek and armenian.

In my opinion it would make sense that I am sort of Greco-Armenian since I am from aydin and my mothers side is from Ağri but many turkish people tell me I am a turk and tell me I am a turk in denial. I am really not that. I read up on history and know that most western anatolians are descended from Balkan people/Greeks while eastern Anatolia it's usually persians or armenians.

I don't identify with turkish culture nor do I like the country. I went there but it didn't really resonate with me. I also look greek. When turks meet me for the first time they think I am greek, even albanians see me more as a greek. I have curls and I'm pale af lol. Just wanted to tell you guys something about myself so you get the picture.

So now I am wondering what is accurate. Ancestry also placed me in the pontic greek community. But when asking about that and sharing my gedmatch results on the gedmatch forum I was told I am not a pontic greek, just an average turk. So idk guys this really irritates me. I did this test to find out my roots and now I am left with more questions than before.

I also shared my DNA results in a turkish Facebook group and they told me I am an average anatolian turk.

Are my ancestry results correct? Is Vahaduo even accurate?

Hello everyone! I am new to dna testing and dna calculators. After I recieved my AncestryDna results I wanted to know more and more.

I am originally from western Turkey (Aydin) yet scored 70% Turkey/Caucasus but when uploading my dna to gedmatch I've gotten turkish results then I uploaded them to Vahaduo and got lots of greek and armenian.

In my opinion it would make sense that I am sort of Greco-Armenian since I am from aydin and my mothers side is from Ağri but many turkish people tell me I am a turk and tell me I am a turk in denial. I am really not that. I read up on history and know that most western anatolians are descended from Balkan people/Greeks while eastern Anatolia it's usually persians or armenians.

I don't identify with turkish culture nor do I like the country. I went there but it didn't really resonate with me. I also look greek. When turks meet me for the first time they think I am greek, even albanians see me more as a greek. I have curls and I'm pale af lol. Just wanted to tell you guys something about myself so you get the picture.

So now I am wondering what is accurate. Ancestry also placed me in the pontic greek community. But when asking about that and sharing my gedmatch results on the gedmatch forum I was told I am not a pontic greek, just an average turk. So idk guys this really irritates me. I did this test to find out my roots and now I am left with more questions than before.

I also shared my DNA results in a turkish Facebook group and they told me I am an average anatolian turk.

Ancestry does a pretty good job with their results. If you are from Aydin, then there is a good chance your family were local Anatolians that spoke Greek from Hellenistic times. Don't despair, most Pontic Greeks are locals that mixed with the Greeks colonists but Pontic Greeks are overwhelming Pontians. Same with Cappadoccian Greeks and even Karamanlides. The great exchange of populations between Greece & Turkey was made on the basis of religion, not language or genetics or ethnicity. My grandparents came from Eastern Thrace but they did not go very far just across the river Evros to Western Thrace. Chances are I come from locals to that area. I score about 60% Greek and 30% Eastern Balkan plus some others. I get mainly matches with Greeks with the occasional Bulgarian (low confidence) and Romanian (medium confidence). One of those closeness maps has me at 82 score of sameness to Bulgaria and also 82 to Peloponnese and 78 across the Balkans.

You are Greek now and so am I and so are other migrants from the Balkans and Turkey.

Ancestry also placed me in the pontic greek community.

When Ancestry.com places a person in a genetic community, it does not mean that you belong exclusively to that community. Rather, I believe that they are able to identify certain segments of your DNA as belonging to a particular community, and that other segments might later be identified as belonging to another community, if they are able to obtain enough samples of sufficient certainty of provenance.

I write this as an American of mixed European ancestry, and Ancestry.com has placed me in three different regional communities, one in southern Ireland, one in northern England, one in Italy. I only "learned" my Italian community the other day, though it merely confirmed what I already knew.

But I would expect that with time, Ancestry.com will place you in additional genetic communities.

The other thing is that Roman and Byzantine emperors and later on Ottoman sultans moved groups of people around to repopulate areas that were depopulated due to war, famine or disease.

Are there a lot of Greeks that have curls and pale af?

Are there a lot of Greeks that have curls and pale af?

what are you trying to say ?

My family line ( both sides ) never had or has curls ....yet my grandsons both have curls...one blond and one black haired ..................it appeared due to their mother ( her parents are French Brittany and English Cornwall ) ........................does not take much to change hair colour or type ...................eye colour seems more stable in regards to genetics

I've been on amazon for years, and it always shows basically the same thing, which it should, since all of my ancestors back to the 1500 hundreds at the latest come from Toscana north in Italy.

BG32o4L.png

If you get a few stray percent from elsewhere it could very well be because of people of your ethnicity moving to those areas.

This thread has been viewed 3371 times.

Back