Evidence that a cosmic impact destroyed ancient city in the Jordan Valley

Archetype0ne

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
L283>Y21878>Y197198
In the Middle Bronze Age (about 3,600 years ago or roughly 1650 BCE), the city of Tall el-Hammam was ascendant. Located on high ground in the southern Jordan Valley, northeast of the Dead Sea, the settlement in its time had become the largest continuously occupied Bronze Age city in the southern Levant, having hosted early civilization for a few thousand years. At that time, it was 10 times larger than Jerusalem and 5 times larger than Jericho.

-

But there is a 1.5-meter interval in the Middle Bronze Age II stratum that caught the interest of some researchers for its "highly unusual" materials. In addition to the debris one would expect from destruction via warfare and earthquakes, they found pottery shards with outer surfaces melted into glass, "bubbled" mudbrick and partially melted building material, all indications of an anomalously high-temperature event, much hotter than anything the technology of the time could produce.

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-evidence-cosmic-impact-ancient-city.html

Phys.org is a highly reliable source, from what I gather. Have not read the paper myself.

Ted E. Bunch et al, A Tunguska sized airburst destroyed Tall el-Hammam a Middle Bronze Age city in the Jordan Valley near the Dead Sea, Scientific Reports (2021). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-021-97778-3

Edit: Forgot to place tags... Maybe a mod can help.

Last edited:
Nice
Thanks for sharing (y)
A sodom and gomorrah story:cool-v:
sodom_gomorrah_map.jpg

p.s
By that time
The
E1b1b1 already loosed the
Ground to j1 and became a minority
Branch

Last edited:
Cool paper, thanks for sharing.

Nice
Thanks for sharing (y)
sodom_gomorrah_map.jpg

p.s
By that time
The
Branch

The bible isn‘t a worthless historical document as many people think. Besides, how many J1 and Eb1b1 were found?

The bible isn‘t a worthless historical document as many people think. Besides, how many J1 and Eb1b1 were found?

i dont have any proof that this story is real
but just a remainder of this bronze age site in jordan :)
in ppnb remains they found very nice number of e1b1b1
in the early bronze age sites in jordan only j1 and j

source:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/059311v1
6892554b93ba.jpg

so something happen in between in my opinion :unsure:

Nice
Thanks for sharing (y)
sodom_gomorrah_map.jpg

p.s
By that time
The
Branch

Welp. I did not read the paper when I first posted this but I have to say that it is far better than I expected.

"

There is an ongoing debate as to whether Tall el-Hammam could be the biblical city of Sodom (Silvia2 and references therein), but this issue is beyond the scope of this investigation. Questions about the potential existence, age, and location of Sodom are not directly related to the fundamental question addressed in this investigation as to what processes produced high-temperature materials at Tall el-Hammam during the MBA. Nevertheless, we consider whether oral traditions about the destruction of this urban city by a cosmic object might be the source of the written version of Sodom in Genesis. We also consider whether the details recounted in Genesis are a reasonable match for the known details of a cosmic impact event.

~

It is worth speculating that a remarkable catastrophe, such as the destruction of Tall el-Hammam by a cosmic object, may have generated an oral tradition that, after being passed down through many generations, became the source of the written story of biblical Sodom in Genesis. The description in Genesis of the destruction of an urban center in the Dead Sea area is consistent with having been an eyewitness account of a cosmic airburst, e.g., (i) stones fell from the sky; (ii) fire came down from the sky; (iii) thick smoke rose from the fires; (iv) a major city was devastated; (v) city inhabitants were killed; and (vi) area crops were destroyed. If so, the destruction of Tall el-Hammam is possibly the second oldest known incident of impact-related destruction of a human settlement, after Abu Hureyra in Syria ~ 12,800 years ago17,172,173.

~
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3/figures/51

~
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3/figures/52

~
Based on this evidence, we propose that an aerial detonation likely larger than the one at Tunguska destroyed TeH at ~ 1650 BCE.

"

I would imagine whoever saw this would have been stricken by the fear of God.

And this was a greater impact than Tunguska cosmic blast. That sounds apocalyptic indeed.

This thread has been viewed 2245 times.

Back