Genetic study The origin and legacy of the Etruscans through a 2000-year archeogenomic time transec

Yeah, interesting!
Don't know about the Encrusted Pottery Culture in specific, but the hypothesis of an ultimate origin to the North(east) sounds nice, if we consider the presence of the G-L497 subclade among early Etruscans, and the affinity of the language to Rhaetian. There's no evidence of G-L497 in Neolithic Western Europe (so far). The main G2a type in NE Italy must have been the G-PF3359 (also found in an early Etruscan sample), judging by the Broion samples. Neo/Chalco Italy also includes several I2, G2a2a (Ötzi's), J2, H...
One of the G-L497 hotspots nowadays is Switzerland, but the G2a type in Neolithic Switzerland was mostly Ötzi's, till its almost complete replacement by R1b (from ~4600 ybp onwards). In addition, virtually all those G2a2b2a in the paper on France were either confirmed negative for L497 equivalents or were confirmed for different subclades. On the other hand, regarding the G-L497, we have a co-presence of the immediate subclades G-CTS9737 and G-Z27264 respectively in Hungary (Baden Culture) and Bohemia (Unetice Culture). There's also a G-L497 (probably pre-G-CTS9737 or pre-G-Z27264) in Bohemia, virtually as old as the one from Baden. Finally, there's this "possible" Austrian G-L497 from 700 BCE (Hallstatt), perhaps indicating that part of the G-L497 men could have adopted a "foreign" language, while others would have kept speaking their original Tyrsenian language for a while longer (?).
Still regarding Etruscans (or their ancestors), Grugni et al. did suggest a possible migration from Central Europe, based on the relevant presence of G-L497 in modern Volterra, whereas the R1b could indicate a local origin (the Broion samples evidence an early arrival of the clade to Italy).
So who knows!

There must have been EEF-rich people in Central Europe that survived for long. See, for example, the Eastern Swiss SX18 (172-12 BCE), whose Autosomal resembles FN2's, interestingly.
By the way, there're 15 confirmed G-L497 samples in the upcoming paper about the Iron Age "shift" in UK. It'll be interesting to learn about their contexts.

The Encrusted Pottery Culture was a Bronze Age Culture from Bronze Age Pannonia, Alps/Carpathian border-zone, they show high survival of male lineages from old Europe, they participated on forming Urnfield Culture, cremation on urn was their main burial type hence why i am wondering.
Didn't know. Will read about them. Thanks!

@Hawk
Could you share the paper which includes these BA Hungarian lineages related to Encrusted Pottery?
Thanks in advance.

@Hawk
Could you share the paper which includes these BA Hungarian lineages related to Encrusted Pottery?
Thanks in advance.

It was shared here, it was called the Croatian paper, i will find it, they were all G2a but not related to the subclade of the Etruscans, one other Encrusted Pottery Culture from Lake Balaton were dominantly related to I2a.

Croatian Encrusted Pottery Culture: https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...Neolithic-and-Bronze-Age-Croatians-Full-paper.

zn1XQYE.png

And from Lake Balaton Kisapostag/Early Encrusted Pottery Culture mainly belong to I2a: https://agi.abtk.hu/en/news/news

5.abra.png

It was shared here, it was called the Croatian paper, i will find it, they were all G2a but not related to the subclade of the Etruscans, one other Encrusted Pottery Culture from Lake Balaton were dominantly related to I2a.

Croatian Encrusted Pottery Culture: https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...Neolithic-and-Bronze-Age-Croatians-Full-paper.

zn1XQYE.png

And from Lake Balaton Kisapostag/Early Encrusted Pottery Culture mainly belong to I2a: https://agi.abtk.hu/en/news/news

5.abra.png
Oh! I remember it now.
Yeah, the G2a in Croatia was almost entirely G2a2a.

Oh! I remember it now.

Take in consideration that the upcoming Lazaridis paper about South-East Europe has Psenichevo Culture (Early Iron Age Culture) related to Dubovac-Zuto Brdo/Grla-Mare Culture and both of them Encrusted Pottery Culture derived MBA-LBA high in E-V13.

So, it looks like the nucleus of Encrusted Pottery Culture people were various clades of G2a, I2a and E-V13 somewhere in between the zone of Alps and Carpathian mountains as their initial starting point.

Take in consideration that the upcoming Lazaridis paper about South-East Europe has Psenichevo Culture (Early Iron Age Culture) related to Dubovac-Zuto Brdo/Grla-Mare Culture and both of them Encrusted Pottery Culture derived MBA-LBA high in E-V13.

So, it looks like the nucleus of Encrusted Pottery Culture people were various clades of G2a, I2a and E-V13 somewhere in between the zone of Alps and Carpathian mountains as their initial starting point.

Crucial is Basarabi-Bosut and Psenichevo, which show combinations of traits from Channelled Ware and Encrusted Ware. But overall, if looking at the whole Daco-Thracian network, to which they surely belonged, the Channelled Ware influence prevailed. This means I think some of Encrusted Ware elements survived, more female than males, but I don't think they are the more likely case for E-V13. This publication, which I already recommended in the "to burn or not" thread, is really helpful to get through this mess:
https://1lib.at/book/3044792/9cbe5d

Its a mess because we're most certainly deal with fusions. However, it was primarily a fusion in specific areas, whereas the Channelled Ware reached further, and this greater reach is more parsimonious, easier to allign with the actual spread of E-V13, than if it would have been "only" Encrusted Ware and "only" the Basarabi-Psenichevo group. But even if Basarbi-Psenichevo is the main thing, and it might suffice, we still would need to explain how they eliminated the far wider spread, better connected and more dominant Channelled Ware people?
Because it was the Middle Danubian Urnfielders and Channelled Ware which pushed them down the Danube in the first place and actually did catch them there.

Very important is the transition of Channelled Ware to the Kalakača-Gornea horizon and Insula Banului.

This chronology is based primarily on M. Gara?anin?s sequence, as described in his Prehis- tory on the territory of Serbia:4
? Iron Age I (Belegi? II ? Gava and horizon of hoards: 1200?1000 BC)
? Iron Age II (Insula Banului ? Kalakača and Basarabi: 1000?600 BC)
? Iron Age III (Zlot and Ferigile groups: 600?350 BC)
? Iron Age IV (La T?ne Culture: 350 BC ? 100 AD).

As the number of systematic and rescue excava-
tions increased, it became clear that graves and
finds from the ?uto Brdo ? Girla Mare and Gava
cultures appeared side by side also in the sites the
right bank of the Danube River.
Moreover, it has been assumed that the ?uto
Brdo ? Girla Mare culture emerged on the terri-
tory of Serbia during the later phases of the Mid-
dle Bronze Age, influenced by Transdanubian in-
crusted pottery.5 It is interesting that the sites of
the ?uto Brdo ? Girla Mare culture in Serbia are
identified only in Southern Banat, exclusively on
the banks of the Danube, while no settlements or
burial places have been found in the river?s hin-
terland. According to the current chronologies,
the ?uto Brdo ? Girla Mare culture lasted until
the beginning Late Bronze Age (14/13th century
BC) although there are some isolated arguments
in favour of its end in the late 12th century BC.6
Contrary to the situation with the ?uto Brdo ?
Girla Mare culture, the Gava culture complex,
identified through the presence of the channelled
and burnished pottery, is in the Serbian archae-
ology considered as the trigger of the transition
from the Late Bronze to the Early Iron Age.

We know that the later cultural formations, being the result of a fusion, the question is just, who was more dominant. And here again, the support goes for Channelled Ware.

The finds of
pottery of different origins and production tech-
niques in a burial point to exchange of objects
and techniques between the two groups, which
is not an isolated case in the Iron Gates region.
The co-occurrence of the ceramic finds from
these two cultures was also noticed in the stra-
tigraphy of the Livade ? Mala Vrbica site as well
as the necropolis in Konopi?te (located 9 km east
of Kladovo) (Figure 1, 3).

The last example of a close relationship be-
tween the ?uto Brdo ? Girla Mare and Gava
finds is demonstrated in the necropolis of Pećine
in the vicinity of Kostolac (Figure 1, 1).19 The ex-
cavator D. Jacanović observed that in all undis-
turbed contexts (or stratigraphic units) the ?uto
Brdo ? Girla Mare, H?gelgr?ber and Gava typical
ceramic forms were found together.20 This par-
ticularly applies to the four cremated burials with
incrusted and burnished pottery found together
in same context. A similar mix was documented
in 13 pits, most probably dedicated to ritual at
this site.

These should be testable probably, because while I don't know, many were buried in pits with their intact body, not cremated. But unless they significantly deviate from the known Incrusted samples, it won't help a lot, because this is: A mixed context.

Obviously this can only be, finally, solved by ancient DNA. But the distribution and "network power" of Encrusted Ware seems to me to be too weak. That's why I think mixed G?va-Encrusted Pottery groups are key, but E-V13 was coming from the stronger part of this fusion. Again, the early distribution too is much easier to explain from Channelled Ware, than from the rather limited phenomenon. That doesn't mean that all Channelled Ware groups had to be E-V13 dominated, especially not as totally as the Southern ones. This could be a regional founder effect.

The real question is therefore: Was Psenichevo-Basarabi Channelled Ware with Encrusted pottery influences or Encrusted Pottery with Channelled Ware influences... Its in any case too late for the earlier distribution and founder effects, so the main spread of E-V13 can't be attributed to both, even if they would have both had "some" E-V13, which is possible, because they were "neighbours" in Pannonia already and went down on similar ways.

For the later period, we can test:

Second, in course of the developed Iron Age
or Iron Age II in the territory of Serbia, only a
small number of inhumation burials has been
discovered. The burials suggest the transition
from cremation of the deceased, characteristic
for the Late Bronze Age (Belegi? I, ?uto Brdo ?
Girla Mare cultures) and the following Gava cul-
tural complex. In the subsequent Kalakača phase
(9th/ 8th century BC),37 inhumation burials prevail

It should be stressed that the all metal
finds from these graves have been dated to the
Basarabi phase.25 This closely related co-occur-
rence of two culturally and chronologically dif-
ferent pottery styles correlates with the change in
burial rites as there is a shift from flexed inhuma-
tion, which prevailed during the Kalakača phase,
to inhumation in extended position, characteris-
tic of the Basarabi culture.

https://www.anubih.ba/godisnjak/god47/5-Aleksandar Kapuran.pdf

If we find E-V13 in F?zesabony/G?va and then Basarabi, it makes Channelled Ware the prime candidate, but a good proof would have been a phylogenetic relationship. If E-V13 pops up among Encrusted Ware groups, it would turn the tide in favour of this scenario. I think the British papers samples might help a lot, but not as much as they could have, with better yDNA sampling & enrichment.

Oh! I remember it now.

as per this site fro G ydna .....maciano recently updated the G haplogroup and these G2a early group belong as ancestors of Oetzi

I never knew about this:

The city was occupied by a people distinct from the Sicanians, the native race of this part of Sicily, and on the other that it was not a Greek colony. Thucydides, in enumerating the allies of the Athenians at the time of the Peloponnesian War, distinctly calls the Segestans barbarians.[10] At the same time they appear to have been, from a very early period, in close connection with the Greek cities of Sicily, and entering into relations both of hostility and alliance with the Hellenic states, wholly different from the other barbarians in the island. The early influence of Greek civilisation is shown also by their coins, which are inscribed with Greek characters, and bear the unquestionable impress of Greek art.

On a hill just outside the site of the ancient city of Segesta lies an unusually well-preserved Doric temple. Some think it to have been built in the 420s BC by an Athenian architect, despite the city not having any Greek population.[40] The prevailing view is that it was built by the indigenous Elymians.[41][42] The temple has six by fourteen columns on a base measuring 21 by 56 metres, on a platform three steps high. Several elements suggest that the temple was never finished. The columns have not been fluted as they normally would have been in a Doric temple, and there are still bosses present in the blocks of the base (used for lifting the blocks into place but then normally removed). The temple also lacks a cella, any ornamentation, altar or deity dedication, and was never roofed over.[43] The temple was never completed due to the war between Segesta and Selinunte.[44] It managed to escape destruction by the Carthaginians in the late 5th century.

Segesta%2C_Tempio_greco.jpg

ihype2: Segesta is in the province of Trapani, my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were born not to far from Segesta maybe 25-30 miles away. I have visited that very sight. Two theories of the Elymians are from ancient sources, one is they were Trojans who moved to Sicily and intermarried with the Sicani and Sicels. The other is that they were from either modern Liguria or Puglia. The language of the Elymians is still a puzzle but from the a book on the History of Segesta I purchased at the Segesta archeological park, some linguistic evidence suggest the Elymians were related to the Ligures as many of the names that Elymians used for towns and rivers are the same in modern Liguria. Entella another Elymian town (Military HQ) is the name of a Ligurian river (Coincidence??). So modern scholars favor the 2nd theory that the Elymians were likely from modern Liguria. It seems the language of the Elymians while I don't think has been officially assigned to one particular language family given lack of enough evidence points to being an Indo-European language.

There is also a Theatre in Segesta built in the Greek style but during mid 2nd century BC when under control of the Romans. It is on the highest point in Segesta, I walked from the Doric Temple to the Theatre. View up there incredible.

Last edited:
ihype2: Segesta is in the province of Trapani, my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were born not to far from Segesta maybe 25-30 miles away. I have visited that very sight. Two theories of the Elymians are from ancient sources, one is they were Trojans who moved to Sicily and intermarried with the Sicani and Sicels. The other is that they were from either modern Liguria or Puglia. The language of the Elymians is still a puzzle but from the a book on the History of Segesta, some linguistic evidence suggest the Elymians were related to the Ligures as many of the names that Elymians used for towns and rivers are the same in modern Liguria. Entella another Elymian town (Military HQ) is the name of a Ligurian river (Coincidence??). So modern scholars favor the 2nd theory that the Elymians were likely from modern Liguria. It seems the language of the Elymians while I don't think has been officially assigned to one particular language family given lack of enough evidence points to being an Indo-European language.

There is also a Theatre in Segesta built in the Greek style but during mid 2nd century BC when under control of the Romans. It is on the highest point in Segesta, I walked from the Doric Temple to the Theatre. View up there incredible.

Elymians are Western Sicilians so shouldn't they be like LBA Sicilians genetically?

It was so fascinating how similar the temple was to other Doric ones, they did a great job.

Elymians are Western Sicilians so shouldn't they be like LBA Sicilians genetically?

It was so fascinating how similar the temple was to other Doric ones, they did a great job.

I think it is plausible that Elymians would be like LBA Sicilians. I think there are 2 likely hypotheses, related, but I am going to formulate them as 2. 1) the Elymians are similar to other LBA Sicilians such as the Sicani and Sicels. But it is also possible that the 2) Late Bronze Age, which in Europe starts around circa 1400 BC, is when the Elymians arrived in Western Sicily (by 1100 BC they are firmly established in Western Sicily in what is modern Trapani and Palermo from either directly from Liguria (which there is some linguistic evidence) or maybe Liguria via Puglia which is also one of the theories based on ancient Historical sources. If (2) explains the Elymians in Western Sicily, then they would be one of the peoples that shaped LBA Sicilians, along with other groups that came just before them such as those ancient peoples with Steppe ancestry that arrived from Iberia starting around circa 2200 BC (Fernandes et al 2020).

The only way to sort this out is to find Samples from the 3 distinct archeological and cultural areas of Sicily in the Late Bronze Age, the Elymians, Sicani and Sicels, and see what the DNA tells us. I would think you would want samples from 1400 BC but not after 800BC when Phoenicians set up port cities along the Western Sicilian coast and the Greeks colonized Sicily from the East all the way to coastal Trapani (modern Selinunte).

Etruscan,0.123751,0.1585354,0.0362664,-0.015818,0.0495476,-0.0101486,-0.0010771,-0.0037307,0.0235146,0.0446782,0.0005098,0.0109236,-0.0207298,-0.0060898,-0.0027332,-0.0033368,0.0030024,0.0005173,0.001222,-0.0043528,0.0011542,0.0045854,-0.0025266,-0.0042675,0.0010212

The error in G25 regarding Germanic admixture is that Etruscan_IA includes outliers which inflated the Germanic admixture. Modern Tuscans get only 9% Germanic and they more northern shifted than Medieval Tuscans.

I don't have Medieval Tuscans but it should be closer to 5% than to 10% with this model which fits with Germanic Y-dna being more male-biased and pushing nearly 10%.

Target: Italian_Tuscany
Distance: 1.1331% / 0.01133056
61.4Etruscan
17.8ARM_LBA
12.2Levant_Ashkelon_IA2
8.6Swedish

Also the percentages given for East Med admixture in the study for Imperial Tuscans (using ARM_LBA and other samples) are fine around 35-39% but one outlier pushed nearly 60% which screwed the whole result. Same with Germanic admixture, one outlier was more northern shifted, so scientists probably got their "20% Germanic" wrong from it.

If you check the PCA 3 out of 5 Imperial samples are very close probably those are around 39% East Med admixture.

[/COLOR]
NOTE: I am just showing a more proper way how could the Germanic admixture be estimated in the official studies model. This model is not necessarily meant to be taken literally.​

The error in G25 regarding Germanic admixture is that Etruscan_IA includes outliers which inflated the Germanic admixture. Modern Tuscans get only 9% Germanic and they more northern shifted than Medieval Tuscans.
I don't have Medieval Tuscans but it should be closer to 5% than to 10% with this model which

Are you aware that these models are actually very misleading? You can model other populations in this way as well.

gpjSpTQ.png

VZuCZj1.png

pnQbmI8.png

Are you aware that these models are actually very misleading? You can model other populations in this way as well.

I am aware why did you delete the last part of comment in the quote which makes it clear? I did not propose those components, the scientists did. I just fixed the 20% Germanic error when modeling with those components.

Also Albanians had different genetical ancestors from Tuscans so that comparison is not really fair.
The main problem is that we need to uncover the entire Iron Age Italy before estimating the Eastern Mediterranean admixture. The Italy is cline so Tuscans might have even some ancestry from Native Southern Italians (Lucanians, Messapian, Samnites etc.)

As for Eastern Mediterranean admixture in modern Tuscans that came during Imperial Rome I think it's around 10% minimum to maximum 20% not 50% as this study suggest. That is too high beyond eyes.

I am aware why did you delete the last part of comment in the quote which makes it clear? I did not propose those components, the scientists did. I just fixed the 20% Germanic error when modeling with those components.

Also Albanians had different genetical ancestors from Tuscans so that comparison is not really fair.
The main problem is that we need to uncover the entire Iron Age Italy before estimating the Eastern Mediterranean admixture. The Italy is cline so Tuscans might have even some ancestry from Native Southern Italians (Lucanians, Messapian, Samnites etc.)

As for Eastern Mediterranean admixture in modern Tuscans that came during Imperial Rome I think it's around 10% minimum to maximum 20% not 50% as this study suggest. That is too high beyond eyes.

Calculators do not know what ancestry the populations considered in the models have.

According to these models, there is Eastern Mediterranean admixture in all Italians and in all Balkan populations, including Albanians.

If you take these results literally, then you have to explain why Albanians and even all Balkan populations, both northern and southern, get percentages of Levant_Ashkelon and Armenian_LMBA or MBA.

My point is that these results prove nothing, and I agree with you the results in the paper can be wrong too.

Calculators do not know what ancestry the populations considered in the models have.

According to these models, there is Eastern Mediterranean admixture in all Italians and in all Balkan populations, including Albanians.

If you take these results literally, then you have to explain why Albanians and even all Balkan populations, both northern and southern, get percentages of Levant_Ashkelon and Armenian_LMBA or MBA.

My point is that these results prove nothing.

621hq.png

I don't have Medieval Tuscans but it should be closer to 5% than to 10% with this model which fits with Germanic Y-dna being more male-biased and pushing nearly 10%.
Target: Italian_Tuscany
Distance: 1.1331% / 0.01133056
61.4Etruscan
17.8ARM_LBA
12.2Levant_Ashkelon_IA2
8.6Swedish
Also the percentages given for East Med admixture in the study for Imperial Tuscans (using ARM_LBA and other samples) are fine around 35-39% but one outlier pushed nearly 60% which screwed the whole result. Same with Germanic admixture, one outlier was more northern shifted, so scientists probably got their "20% Germanic" wrong from it.
If you check the PCA 3 out of 5 Imperial samples are very close probably those are around 39% East Med admixture.
[/COLOR]
NOTE: I am just showing a more proper way how could the Germanic admixture be estimated in the official studies model. This model is not necessarily meant to be taken literally.​

Why are modern Tuscans more northern-shifted than medieval Tuscans?

It makes no historical sense.

However 9pc Germanic in Tuscany sounds OK but a little high, perhaps.

Why are modern Tuscans more northern-shifted than medieval Tuscans?

It makes no historical sense.

However 9pc Germanic in Tuscany sounds OK but a little high, perhaps.

But they are more northern shifted than Medieval Tuscans, it would make sense historically with more Northern Italian and more Northern European related ancestry.

Also 30% Middle Eastern is not really accurate (at least with Y-Dna) I was just correcting the ~20% Germanic based on the official studies model. And 30% as high as it is, it is still lower than official paper's result.

I am not sure if I can blame the scientists for the East Med admixture results, because I think they were tricked a lot by the lack of samples that were needed to take conclusions. But the "20% Germanic" seems to be most likely a fault of their own.

Does the scenario of an increase in the "Iranian" bloodline due to the migration of the imperial period not imply that the epicentre of this bloodline will be in Rome and the surrounding area? And will decrease as you go north and south (excluding possibly Sicily, because of the abundance of slaves on the latifundia). Moreover, Lazio was controlled by Byzantium and then by the Pope, and the Germans there should have been even fewer than in the south, and the influence of the Greeks stronger. The latter, by the way, can be seen in the example of Romagna. (parts of the Exarchate of Ravenna)
Distance to:Italian_Romagna
2.12087246Italian_Umbria
3.17271177Italian_Tuscany
3.57134484Italian_Marche
3.78273710Italian_Lazio
4.88089131Italian_Emilia

This thread has been viewed 131015 times.

Back