Curious about DNA results

Sanderson69

Reaction score
Hello there!
My dad did a test with 'LivingDNA' (which has quite an iffy reputation, for being heavily biased towards the British Isles, in terms of their 'ethnic' matches).
His paternal side is heavily English; we have traced his paternal line back to the mid 19th Century in SE England. Yet, his Y-DNA came back as being R-DF13, a subclade of r1b. This specific subclade is most prevalent in Ireland, followed by Wales, Scotland & Brittany.
It is also found in England, but to substantially smaller extent. Now my knowledge was that the eastern English had identical maternal DNA, to say the Welsh & Irish, being r1b, but where they differed was with the Y-DNA, which in the case of the former group, was firmly in r1a territory; dominant in Northern Germany, Denmark, etc. Obviously this was down to the fact that the majority of those who made the perilous journey across the North Sea to the east coast of England were men, who would then intermarry with the 'local' Romano-British females.
Of course, England is not predominantly Germanic in terms of admixture, but it seems unusual, that considering the location of which we have traced our patrilineal line back to (Essex, Hertfordshire), that this is not of Anglo-Saxon origin.

Damn, sorry on my part! I put this on the wrong thread. I see how firmly against this is of any discussion about Y-DNA.

I wouldn't be too surprised about that finding given human migration in general and specifically in your deep ancestry within the British Isles. DF-13 is a subclade of R-L21 which is a typical Atlantic modal haplogroup and very highly represented in the British Isles (especially western most such as Ireland and Wales). These Y-DNA haplogroup origins go far beyond any documented ancestry records (as in DF13 probably originated around 4200 years ago and is related to the Bell Beaker cultural expansion). My LivingDNA results were quite consistent with other firms I've tested with ; I'm a subclade of R-P312 which is highly frequent in south western France and northern Iberia/Basque country, again related to Bell Beaker expansion over 4000 years ago. In my case, these findings also concord with my ancestry records but that may be coincidence and no doub reflect a very sedentary ancestry (the Basques for example have remained quite isolated from population admixture affecting the broader Iberian peninsula for example!)

I wouldn't be too surprised about that finding given human migration in general and specifically in your deep ancestry within the British Isles. DF-13 is a subclade of R-L21 which is a typical Atlantic modal haplogroup and very highly represented in the British Isles (especially western most such as Ireland and Wales). These Y-DNA haplogroup origins go far beyond any documented ancestry records (as in DF13 probably originated around 4200 years ago and is related to the Bell Beaker cultural expansion). My LivingDNA results were quite consistent with other firms I've tested with ; I'm a subclade of R-P312 which is highly frequent in south western France and northern Iberia/Basque country, again related to Bell Beaker expansion over 4000 years ago. In my case, these findings also concord with my ancestry records but that may be coincidence and no doub reflect a very sedentary ancestry (the Basques for example have remained quite isolated from population admixture affecting the broader Iberian peninsula for example!)

That probs has an element of truth to it. Speaking of 'LivingDNA', my dad is about 25% Polish, but none of that showed up on his results. The remaining is 75% of his ancestry is of course (mainly) English, as well as Scottish.
The closest to his his Slavic admix was a measly 4% being assigned to the NW Germanic cluster; Netherlands, NW Germany & Denmark. That was also the only ancestry he seemingly picked up that is outside the British Isles.
This seems unusual.

Then that's a big Oops for LivingDNA! try another company that has a bigger reference population database for autosomal tests (Ancestry for e.g., not sure about FT DNA but both were accurate for me!)

Then that's a big Oops for LivingDNA! try another company that has a bigger reference population database for autosomal tests (Ancestry for e.g., not sure about FT DNA but both were accurate for me!)

We should have gone for that one, but about 2 days ago my dad actually ordered a '23andMe' test!

This thread has been viewed 1816 times.

Back