E-FT96633 Subclade (Italian?)

Stpika

Reaction score
Hello all, after taking a 23andme DNA test I discovered that I belong to the E-V13 haplotype group which I found a little surprising, as my knowledge of my paternal side is that they are from Lazio Italy and that E-V13 is pretty rare in that region and not very Italian (Although I came back 50% autosomally Italian, which made sense).

So I took a bigY and learnt my terminal subclade is E-FT96633 (I think?). Unfortunately I find a lot of this stuff arcane and goes over my head, so I was hoping if anybody here could help me glean some information regarding my paternal origins. Is it possible that it could be a fairly recent (ie medieval) introduction to Italy from Albania or perhaps a bit more ancient? If it's possible at all to infer that much from this anyways.

E-V13 is a European clade, since, at least, the 5th millennium B.C.. It spread starting from the Danubian area across all Europe, and you can find it from Norway to Greece. It is quite common in southern balkan area and in south Italy, probably, but not exclusevely, because of ancient greek colonization. Anyway, most depends on your subclade. Try to test your subclade on snptracker website.

Hello all, after taking a 23andme DNA test I discovered that I belong to the E-V13 haplotype group which I found a little surprising, as my knowledge of my paternal side is that they are from Lazio Italy and that E-V13 is pretty rare in that region and not very Italian (Although I came back 50% autosomally Italian, which made sense).

So I took a bigY and learnt my terminal subclade is E-FT96633 (I think?). Unfortunately I find a lot of this stuff arcane and goes over my head, so I was hoping if anybody here could help me glean some information regarding my paternal origins. Is it possible that it could be a fairly recent (ie medieval) introduction to Italy from Albania or perhaps a bit more ancient? If it's possible at all to infer that much from this anyways.

send a note to riverman on this site...he knows a great amount of knowledge on E-V13

At this point there is absolutely nothing I can find on YFull (upstream subclade: https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-BY152552/) or FTDNA which would point to a recent Albanian origin, even on the contrary. Since Albanians are well tested, they would pop up, in all likelihood, if being close to this branch. So far its more common among Germanics (age: Hallstatt/EIA), and splits at the next level from Slavs.

You never know what's behind the next corner, but at this point you are in a fairly old Italian clade, with the next subclades being Germanic, last common ancestor in very late Urnfield to Hallstatt period. It will depend on the next samples in which direction this goes, whether your lineage came with Urnfielders, Hallstatt influenced groups (Ligurians, Lepontic-Alpine Celts, Veneti) or even later with Germanics. A later Balkan origin looks, at this point, less likely, but can't be ruled out completely.

Do you know where the other Italian is from?

You never know what's behind the next corner, but at this point you are in a fairly old Italian clade, with the next subclades being Germanic, last common ancestor in very late Urnfield to Hallstatt period. It will depend on the next samples in which direction this goes, whether your lineage came with Urnfielders, Hallstatt influenced groups (Ligurians, Lepontic-Alpine Celts, Veneti) or even later with Germanics. A later Balkan origin looks, at this point, less likely, but can't be ruled out completely.

Do you know where the other Italian is from?

Thanks a lot for the message.

I believe the other member is still from around the Foggia area or the Puglia region at large, at least in terms of recent ancestors.

Incidentally my paternal surname has a strongest concentration in Liguria, which also has a decent concentration of E-V13 too. However that is very likely coincidental.

I belong to BY-5026>FT40236 clade, which is widespread, at the moment, only in Italy and Switzerland, since the 1st millennium BC.
My direct male paternal ancestors are apulians since, at least, the 16th century.

I belong to BY-5026>FT40236 clade, which is widespread, at the moment, only in Italy and Switzerland, since the 1st millennium BC.
My direct male paternal ancestors are apulians since, at least, the 16th century.

Interesting, even upstream you have only Swiss and Italian in the relevant time frame, with just one Irish. So clearly a more Western distribution and fairly old age. Might be Ligurian-Alpine Celt in origin?

Who knows, it looks so, at the moment. I check out most days waiting for updates:) According to snptracker website, BY-5026 entered Italy during the iron age coming from the alpine area... It might has been part of italic migrations, or Celtic ones, or Ligurian people.

Who knows, it looks so, at the moment. I check out most days waiting for updates:) According to snptracker website, BY-5026 entered Italy during the iron age coming from the alpine area... It might has been part of italic migrations, or Celtic ones, or Ligurian people.

Thraco-Cimmerian or Hallstatt is the most likely path, imho. Italics only picked it up, rather later. Ligurians and Veneti are supposed to have a higher percentage early on, same might be true for the Alpine Celts or Celticised Pannonian people. Compare with this map about the Hallstatt culture's core and some of the related cultures in Northern Italy:
19533839060_e7fd3fb6fa_b.jpg

Lepontic Celts also might have just Celticised an earlier group, but that's disputed.

Thanks a lot, so the Hallstatt culture should be the most likely source.

There are news for this branch, because an upstream level ancient DNA was found in Istria:
R3664; 680-823 AD; Sipar, Croatia; E-V13>Z1057>CTS1273>BY3880>BY152493* (xBY152552,FTA7686)

BY152493 level: Y236009+ A>T (2T); BY182997+ C>T (1T)

BY152552 level: BY152552- T>G (1T)

FTA7686 level: 10 ancestral SNPs

If anything, that makes an Urnfield/Hallstatt origin and possible relation to the Veneti-Histrians-Liburnians more likely. Contrary to the Illyrians proper, they cremated and had closer contacts to Channelled Ware/Eastern Urnfield and Hallstatt.

Your subclade E-FT96633 looks like italian, but the upstream subclade E-BY152493 (3100 years old) is shared by Russians, Belarussians, Germans, English https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-BY152493/ , it looks like that your subclade is linked Germanic expansion (Goth, Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Lombard, Suevi, Vandals...)

E-V13 is a European clade, since, at least, the 5th millennium B.C.. It spread starting from the Danubian area across all Europe, and you can find it from Norway to Greece. It is quite common in southern balkan area and in south Italy, probably, but not exclusevely, because of ancient greek colonization. Anyway, most depends on your subclade. Try to test your subclade on snptracker website.

Do you think E-L618 is EEF

This thread has been viewed 4321 times.

Back