Haplogroup Q in Bangladesh

BengaliQ

Reaction score
I recently did Big Y testing, and I got Q-FT310425.

I am one of the two samples from Bangladesh, along with another one from Turkey, with a TMRCA of 3600 years ago.

I learned that Q-Y1150, which is the parent haplogroup of Q-FT310425 (Q-Y1150 -> Q-Z5901 -> Q-FT310425), was found in the following ancient samples:

sample IDyears before
present
formed/age
ratio
locationlabel
I74933,7502.037.417°N, 66.833°E (Uzbekistan)BMAC
I132282,8502.634.751°N, 72.402°E (Pakistan)SPGT
I54002,8242.634.751°N, 72.402°E (Pakistan)SPGT
DAR0012,5262.947.911°N, 106.749°E (Mongolia)Slab Grave
I77182,2503.334.757°N, 72.362°E (Pakistan)SPGT

Q-Z5901, which is a subclade of Q-Y1150, and the parent haplogroup of Q-FT310425 (Q-Z5901 -> Q-FT310425), was found in Kazakhstan, and was categorized as a "TianShan Hun" When doing some more research, the ancient sample belonged to Q-YP4500, which is a separate subclade from Q-FT310425, but under the same parent subclade (Q-Z5901).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how my haplogroup (Q-FT310425) got to Bangladesh. Thank you so much for your help.

Given the location and timing of the samples, I would assume that your line was introduced with the coming of Indo-Aryan peoples in the subcontinent. I'm sure there have been other Q subclades introduced in the area later by different peoples (White Huns, Yuezhi, etc) but I doubt those groups introduced your specific clade.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond frischknecht! I really appreciate your expertise. Would you happen to know why there would be a sample from Turkey that also had the same haplogroup? Did people from Turkey also descend from the Indo-Aryans? I've been reading more about Indian history, and I realize it's so hard to determine when people migrated because people came to India from Central Asia repeatedly.

For additional information, I want to point out that my specific clade is Q-Z36070 which is under Q-FT310425. Both Bangladeshi samples fall under Q-Z36070, and the Turkish sample belongs to the parent clade (Q-FT310425) so it comes from an older lineage. I know that the TMRCA estimates have not yet been updated (I have been in touch with yfull) but will be updated to be more recent than 3600 years ago for the Q-Z36070 subclade. Yfull mentioned that the timing would be updated in 2 months or so.

Thank you!

Haplogroup Q is quite sparse in Eurasia and when it comes to its distribution, it is generally done by "steppe peoples" including but not limited to indo-europeans, turks, huns, etc (Q itself most likely formed in central asia/siberia tens of thousands of years ago). As for the parent clade of your specific clade appearing in Turkey, I could not tell exactly how it got there. If we assume it is of indo-aryan/iranian origin then it is not a surprise how a clade like that ended up in Turkey; the real question is when. It could have arrived with the Iranians or perhaps the Mitanni. Or it could have been assimilated into a Turkic culture. Even in the past millennium there have been a lot of people moving, so the guy in Turkey may have even arrived not too long ago.

As you mentioned, people have left from central asia into India as well as into the middle east quite frequently. I only surmised an indo-aryan origin as opposed to anything else due to the timing of the expansion in the samples in those cultures lines up exactly with the indo-aryan expansion. If we REALLY wanted to make a stretch, it is possible that the group of supposed indo-europeans that migrated to western mongolia that blended into the slab grave culture (which we have your Q sample present) would eventually pop up in the turkic urheimat which would then expand to Turkey.

Hopefully my ramblings make some sense as it is pretty late, good luck and keep us updated. The y full age would help a lot to figure things out.

Thank you so much! I will let you know as soon as I receive an updated age from yfull.

East Asian conquerors such as Hunnic, Mongolian, Timurid raiders might have been ancestor of this clade or local people of siberian whose Indo-Europeanized by Afanasiyevo, Andronovo... peoples.

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that I got an updated age estimation (2100 years) from yfull. Sorry, I would link to the yfull but can't because I don't have enough posts yet.

I am Q-YP502 (id YF90951).

I may be speculating here, but I believe the other Q-YP502 sample that is showing up from Singapore is actually a Kerala Indian. I looked up the paper that is referenced, and it said there were Indian people in that myalgia study. I looked up the MTDNA of that person's sample (U1a) and saw that U1a was found in Kerala Indians. Highly speculative, I know.

I was wondering if this new information shed any more light on how Q-YP502 ended up in Bangladesh. It looks like Q-YP502 and Q-Z36070*, which are both present in Bangladesh, have a TMRCA 4000 years ago.

Thanks for all your help!

Q has its origins in Siberia. The main branch crossed to America and there, they became their natives.

But for something from the steppe to end in the subcontinent it must have come from a migration from the north. You also said that has a very recent TMRCA. So, it's a modern clade(congrats).
The most likely explanation is that is one of the Aryan migrations or the Mughals.

This thread has been viewed 2739 times.

Back