Genetic study Genetic continuity of Indo-Iranian speakers since the Iron Age in southern Central As

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See Perle et al
Genetic continuity of Indo-Iranian speakers since the Iron Age in southern Central Asia. | bioRxiv

"[h=2]Abstract[/h][FONT=&quot]Since prehistoric times, South Central Asia has been at the crossroads of the movement of people, culture, and goods. Today, the Central Asia's populations are divided into two cultural and linguistic groups: the Indo-Iranian and the Turko-Mongolian groups. Previous genetic studies unveiled that migrations from East Asia contributed to the spread of Turko-Mongolian populations in Central Asia and the partial replacement of the Indo-Iranian population. However, little is known about the origin of the latter. To shed light on this, we compare the genetic data on two current-day populations - Yaghnobis and Tajiks - with genome-wide data from published ancient individuals. The present Indo-Iranian populations from Central Asia display a strong genetic continuity with Iron Age samples from Turkmenistan and Tajikistan. We model Yaghnobis as a mixture of 93% Iron Age individual from Turkmenistan and 7% from Baikal. For the Tajiks, we observe a higher Baikal ancestry and an additional admixture event with a South Asian population. Our results, therefore, suggest that in addition to a complex history, Central Asia shows a remarkable genetic continuity since the Iron Age, with only limited gene flow."[/FONT]

Thanks for sharing Angela. I have to read the full paper when I have enough time.

So I read the paper. Nothing really new about the region. I already knew about this just from the amateur calculators and my own models using them. Also there were no new samples published in this paper if I am not mistaken.

So I read the paper. Nothing really new about the region. I already knew about this just from the amateur calculators and my own models using them. Also there were no new samples published in this paper if I am not mistaken.

I don't know this aspect of population genetics the way that you do, but I must say I'm not surprised there's so much Indo-Iranian in the Tajiks.

I always thought their culture, if nothing else, showed the definite signs.

Even their phenotypes show it. Yes, some show the Asiatic influence around the eyes, but most seem to be some variation of this:
33-04463.jpg

This thread has been viewed 2100 times.

Back