Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Authentic or Not ?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-08-12
    Posts
    515


    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.

    Authentic or Not ?

    I've buyed It for less than 30 euro on eBay some years ago. It came from Slovakia and apparently Is a spearhead from the late bronze Age (Urnfield). Do you think it's authentic ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-03-20
    Posts
    870


    Country: Austria



    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I've buyed It for less than 30 euro on eBay some years ago. It came from Slovakia and apparently Is a spearhead from the late bronze Age (Urnfield). Do you think it's authentic ?
    No idea, but if its real, it could be from Gáva, the possible primary spreader via Channelled Ware horizon of Daco-Thracians/E-V13. What's the original shape of the spearhead?

    I don't know for sure whether its authentic, but the shape looks similar to a damaged flame shaped Gáva spearhead probably. Compare:
    https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec...ject/H_WG-1125

  3. #3
    Regular Member Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-08-12
    Posts
    515


    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Or maybe Čaka or Chotín Urnfield groups from Slovakia

    More pictures


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-10-21
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20


    Ethnic group
    Usa
    Country: United States



    Was it stupid to buy without any ***********? and hopes for some kind of authenticity, it is still quite similar to the real one ..... although such a low price also makes you think

  5. #5
    Regular Member Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-08-12
    Posts
    515


    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I have other bronze Age objects and they sent to me a Certificate of authenticity. This One was bought from a random guy from Slovakia, i' dont know if It's original but i like It the same

  6. #6
    Elite member
    Join Date
    10-12-15
    Posts
    776


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Or maybe Čaka or Chotín Urnfield groups from Slovakia

    Please show me another ones beside spearhead. Are they lead rings? Nomad core culture is shamanism, not horse-riding.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-08-12
    Posts
    515


    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by johen View Post
    Please show me another ones beside spearhead. Are they lead rings? Nomad core culture is shamanism, not horse-riding.
    Here they are. I'm pretty sure that the bracelets are authentics because they came from a private collection, also they are much more expensive. Also the spiral ring came from Britain while i have some doubt about the "Beaker" Arrow from the Netherlands, too cheap

  8. #8
    Elite member
    Join Date
    10-12-15
    Posts
    776


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Here they are. I'm pretty sure that the bracelets are authentics because they came from a private collection, also they are much more expensive. Also the spiral ring came from Britain while i have some doubt about the "Beaker" Arrow from the Netherlands, too cheap
    you have a valuable one.


    © National Museums Scotland
    St Andrews Hoard, Late Bronze Age, c. 950-750 BC, Fife, Scotland

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    19-03-18
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    67
    Posts
    121

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L21 DF5>BY154246
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c3b2

    Ethnic group
    Maori Irish French Scottish English
    Country: New Zealand



    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Or maybe Čaka or Chotín Urnfield groups from Slovakia

    More pictures

    The damage, cracks and corrosion shown particularly in the top right picture might actually be a good sign that it is more likely to be authentic. Why would someone make a modern fake then damage it to the point that it was not of museum display quality and it's value to collectors was at least halved compared with one in better condition? I have a small collection of artefacts and I actually preferred badly damaged artefacts, partly because they were cheaper than similar undamaged ones (and I could afford them), but also because I thought they were more likely to be authentic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •