Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Authentic or Not ?

1 members found this post helpful.

Authentic or Not ?

I've buyed It for less than 30 euro on eBay some years ago. It came from Slovakia and apparently Is a spearhead from the late bronze Age (Urnfield). Do you think it's authentic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I've buyed It for less than 30 euro on eBay some years ago. It came from Slovakia and apparently Is a spearhead from the late bronze Age (Urnfield). Do you think it's authentic ?
    No idea, but if its real, it could be from Gáva, the possible primary spreader via Channelled Ware horizon of Daco-Thracians/E-V13. What's the original shape of the spearhead?

I don't know for sure whether its authentic, but the shape looks similar to a damaged flame shaped Gáva spearhead probably. Compare:
    https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec...ject/H_WG-1125

Or maybe Čaka or Chotín Urnfield groups from Slovakia

More pictures

Ethnic group
    Usa

Was it stupid to buy without any ***********? and hopes for some kind of authenticity, it is still quite similar to the real one ..... although such a low price also makes you think

I have other bronze Age objects and they sent to me a Certificate of authenticity. This One was bought from a random guy from Slovakia, i' dont know if It's original but i like It the same

Elite member

Please show me another ones beside spearhead. Are they lead rings? Nomad core culture is shamanism, not horse-riding.

Quote Originally Posted by johen View Post
    Please show me another ones beside spearhead. Are they lead rings? Nomad core culture is shamanism, not horse-riding.
    Here they are. I'm pretty sure that the bracelets are authentics because they came from a private collection, also they are much more expensive. Also the spiral ring came from Britain while i have some doubt about the "Beaker" Arrow from the Netherlands, too cheap

Elite member

Here they are. I'm pretty sure that the bracelets are authentics because they came from a private collection, also they are much more expensive. Also the spiral ring came from Britain while i have some doubt about the "Beaker" Arrow from the Netherlands, too cheap
    you have a valuable one.

© National Museums Scotland
    St Andrews Hoard, Late Bronze Age, c. 950-750 BC, Fife, Scotland

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L21 DF5>BY154246
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c3b2

Ethnic group
    Maori Irish French Scottish English

More pictures

The damage, cracks and corrosion shown particularly in the top right picture might actually be a good sign that it is more likely to be authentic. Why would someone make a modern fake then damage it to the point that it was not of museum display quality and it's value to collectors was at least halved compared with one in better condition? I have a small collection of artefacts and I actually preferred badly damaged artefacts, partly because they were cheaper than similar undamaged ones (and I could afford them), but also because I thought they were more likely to be authentic.