Y-700 Results - I-Y65803 - Sweden to Southern Italy path?

Stolfi

Reaction score
Hi, I finally received my brother's Big Y-700 results and it came back confirmed as I-Y65803. My earliest known ancestor is Pietroantonio Stolfi born about 1750 or so in Avigliano, Potenza region in Italy (in the Basilicata region). I haven't been able to go back any further on that line as of yet, but there were Stolfi's (referred to as Stolfo's in Avigliano in the mid-1600's). One of the reasons why I had my brother take the Big Y test was that I was hoping determine if we had Longobard roots. Our surname (Stolfi) is Germanic in nature and when I saw there was a Longobard King named Aistulf (also Ahistulf, Aistulfus, Haistulfus, Astolf etc.; Italian Astolfo), it piqued my curiosity.

Would anyone have any information on I-Y65803? I was thinking of having another male that shares my surname and still lives in Avigliano take the Big Y test and am wondering if that might help. I am thinking I probably share with him a 7th or 8th great grandparent.

Hi, I finally received my brother's Big Y-700 results and it came back confirmed as I-Y65803. My earliest known ancestor is Pietroantonio Stolfi born about 1750 or so in Avigliano, Potenza region in Italy (in the Basilicata region). I haven't been able to go back any further on that line as of yet, but there were Stolfi's (referred to as Stolfo's in Avigliano in the mid-1600's). One of the reasons why I had my brother take the Big Y test was that I was hoping determine if we had Longobard roots. Our surname (Stolfi) is Germanic in nature and when I saw there was a Longobard King named Aistulf (also Ahistulf, Aistulfus, Haistulfus, Astolf etc.; Italian Astolfo), it piqued my curiosity.

Would anyone have any information on I-Y65803? I was thinking of having another male that shares my surname and still lives in Avigliano take the Big Y test and am wondering if that might help. I am thinking I probably share with him a 7th or 8th great grandparent.

Here’s how I-Y65803 looks on YFull. It’s just below Y11221:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-Y11221/

They are currently dating it to circa 670 AD (or 1350 ybp). Keeping the usual variance ranges in mind (TMRCA CI 95% 2100<->850 ybp). There are three men in the branch, one from Russia, one from Czechia and one from Hungary. The Russian is a new sample, so his information hasn’t been included in their dating calculations yet.

Here’s how I-Y65803 looks on YFull. It’s just below Y11221:

They are currently dating it to circa 670 AD (or 1350 ybp). Keeping the usual variance ranges in mind (TMRCA CI 95% 2100<->850 ybp). There are three men in the branch, one from Russia, one from Czechia and one from Hungary. The Russian is a new sample, so his information hasn’t been included in their dating calculations yet.

Thanks for the information. I just looked and also updated my results to yfull - the more info the better!

Thanks for the information. I just looked and also updated my results to yfull - the more info the better!

Looks like your sample is already on the tree.

https://www.yfull.com/live/tree/I-Y65803/

Good luck!

Once you get your sign in information, you can add your MDKA’s country flag in the setting section on the upper right.

Y65803 is most probably (not sure) Gepid group. Gepids were one of east-german tribe, like Ostrogots, Visigots, Herculs, and Langobards.
Long war between Gepids and Langobards in 6th century finished when Langobards invited Avars as ally. Avars destroyed Gepids first and after attacked also Langobards. Under presure, Langobards moved to north Italy, now called Lombardia. Part of Gepids moved with Langobards too. The rest of Gepid survived in the high mountains in Romania and Slovakia.
You can find more on Wiki.

You can join to I1-S4795 group on FamilyTreeDna, Y65803 is one of subclade (as BY-46317 , because YFull and FTDNA uses sometimes different notations).

What about I-Z74 In Benevento?

Which sub-clade?

One of them goes down into the Balkans. This haplogroup must have integrated into the Byzantine Empire and then moved to Benevento, one of the empire's strongholds in southern Italy.

But it could just as well have been the Lombards...

Y65803 is most probably (not sure) Gepid group. Gepids were one of east-german tribe, like Ostrogots, Visigots, Herculs, and Langobards.
Long war between Gepids and Langobards in 6th century finished when Langobards invited Avars as ally. Avars destroyed Gepids first and after attacked also Langobards. Under presure, Langobards moved to north Italy, now called Lombardia. Part of Gepids moved with Langobards too. The rest of Gepid survived in the high mountains in Romania and Slovakia.
You can find more on Wiki.

You can join to I1-S4795 group on FamilyTreeDna, Y65803 is one of subclade (as BY-46317 , because YFull and FTDNA uses sometimes different notations).
Langbards were West Germanic according to their recorded personal names and remains of their long extinct language.

In Sicily there was a period of Norman (Viking) rule

If you can trace it to Normandy (N. France), it's possibly from this source

This thread has been viewed 3548 times.

Back