Guess my Ethnicity

You mentioned it, so I won't pretend I didn't see it.

I can say that I think Dalmatia fits.

I used to know quite a few people from the islands and coastal regions before people started retiring and moving to different parts of the country.

There was something more Med about them than the Croatians of whom I've seen pictures who come from inland areas, who I think look more Slavic.

You have a bit of the look of Angelina Jolie about you, I think; lovely bone structure.

Interestingly, her father was Slovakian and her mother French.

Not bad perhaps for a description of the ethnic mixes which went into the Dalmatians, i.e. Slovakian and something with a bit more Northern Mediterranean? Just a thought.

angelina-jolie-at-86th-annual-academy-awards-in-hollywood_16.jpg

angelina-jolie-family-father-jon-voight-and-mother.jpg

Yes, I mentioned it, may bad...

Thank you very much, Dalmatia (Hvar), North Dalmatia and Czech, Normandy and Austrian ancestors. :)

Yes, I mentioned it, may bad...

Thank you very much, Dalmatia (Hvar), North Dalmatia and Czech, Normandy and Austrian ancestors. :)

The people I knew were mostly from Rijieka (Fiume) and the islands of Krk and Cres. A surprising number still had some knowledge of Italian, and their cuisine was indistinguishable for me from regular Northern Italian cooking, except for some wonderful crepes with plum jam which I adored. A good number owned or worked in Northern Italian restaurants.

Yes, it is true about cuisine and knowledge of Italian. Istria and Dalmatia were historically under the influence of Italy and dialect is full of Italian words. :)

Ah, crepes....very popular in Croatia!

And this is my grandfather, can anyone guess his ethnicity? :)

Last edited:
Yes, it is true about cuisine and knowledge of Italian. Istria and Dalmatia were historically under the influence of Italy and dialect is full of Italian words. :)

Ah, crepes....very popular in Croatia!

And this is my grandfather, can anyone guess his ethnicity? :)

He's more difficult, especially because it's so difficult to make guesses from pictures of children. Plus, I think you could probably find the face shape, nose, mouth, etc. from Normandy all the way to Czech lands.

However, the area around the eyes is a bit different, although they don't help me all that much because while I think they might be more common in Central to Eastern Europe, I knew someone from Krk who had them. He looked remarkably like Richard Gere, who is an American mutt, but I think the eyes probably came by way of his German side.

360full.jpg

So, I think I'll go with Austrian. Perhaps as an adult he might have looked a bit like Sebastian Koch?

actor-sebastian-koch-walks-the-red-carpet-ahead-of-the-werk-ohne-picture-id1026737966

Just a guess. :)

Great guess!! This is really interesting, correct answer!!

He really looked a bit like Sebastian when older. In that picture he was 23 or 24.

Great guess!! This is really interesting, correct answer!!

He really looked a bit like Sebastian when older. In that picture he was 23 or 24.

Well, I'm proud of this one; it was tougher than most. :)

I also thought there was a bit of Maximilian Schell about him, especially through the forehead, eyes and nose. Loved him as an actor, and such a handsome man. In interviews, however, he came off as a bit "antipatico" as we say, and as a martinet. Sometimes it's a good idea not to see the real person behind the actor, if you know what I mean. :)

Maximilian_Schell_-_1970-1.jpg

Joachim Loew is perhaps a similar type, although it's hard to tell what kind of forehead is underneath that mop of hair. :) Him I know I wouldn't like.

headcoach-joachim-loew-of-the-german-national-team-is-senn-during-the-picture-id73931154

Well, I'm proud of this one; it was tougher than most. :)

Sometimes it's a good idea not to see the real person behind the actor, if you know what I mean. :)

Maximilian_Schell_-_1970-1.jpg

Joachim Loew is perhaps a similar type, although it's hard to tell what kind of forehead is underneath that mop of hair. :) Him I know I wouldn't like.

headcoach-joachim-loew-of-the-german-national-team-is-senn-during-the-picture-id73931154

You have a very good eye for this!

Yes, I know...many times celebrities diappointed me. Good actors but bad people...

Joachim has that heavy nose bridge, a little bit thick, as I can see. And I never saw him without hair on the forehead!

I don't have any good picture of my ancestor from Normandy, but he had stronger face, strong and prominent chin, blonde hair and eyes, very tall man, soldier. Not "French" looking at all. Not sophisticated looking man. :)

You have a very good eye for this!

Yes, I know...many times celebrities diappointed me. Good actors but bad people...

Joachim has that heavy nose bridge, a little bit thick, as I can see. And I never saw him without hair on the forehead!

I don't have any good picture of my ancestor from Normandy, but he had stronger face, strong and prominent chin, blonde hair and eyes, very tall man, soldier. Not "French" looking at all. Not sophisticated looking man. :)

Well, France is difficult for these kinds of analyses because there are so many different "types".

Louis Jourdan was a favorite of my mother's.
lj80392.jpg

So was Charles Boyer...
740full-charles-boyer.jpg

While I think Jean Dujardin is GORGEOUS!

London+Film+Critics+Circle+Awards+2012+Press+J7B86HfhUhjx.jpg

Meanwhile, Gerard Depardieu is also French; to many of the French, I think, a real French man of the people. :)

271855.jpg

He looked more like Dolph Lundgren, that kind of harsh face and chin, eyes. Good man with unpleasant face, I would say. Surname was very common in Normandy, but who knows its origins...

Thank you very much for your help, i learned a lot from you.

About French people, even Gerard (he has big nose) looks charming.

When Macron visited Croatia, I was shocked how better he looks than our politicians.

Last edited:
My last post sound racist. I don't think French are better or more beautiful, (or any other), it is just my anger because our politicians are so corrupted and they allways fight among themselves.

This thread has been viewed 4441 times.

Back