R1b - Arab from Yemen

Mohsen

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an Arab from Yafa’a, Yemen, we have been living there since CE1559 as per our family recorded history. Recently I have taken DNA test (Big Y-700 by FTDNA) and my result is: Confirmed Haplogroup (R-FT385555 is a subgroup of R-M269), Region: Western Europe; low frequencies in Turkey, and the Northern Fertile Crescent.

I have no connections to the above regions. So, what does this haplogroup say about my ethnicity and my origins? and where did I / my ancestors come from?
I would appreciate if one of you experts could help me

Your ancestors obviously came from Yemen, but your direct paternal lineage might have a more complex background. Your direct subclade goes back to Antiquity, so that's probably when your ancestor came into Yemen the latest, because you are not the only sample. Comparing yourself with the other Yemenite, I would guess that your lineage lives AT LEAST since 1.000 years in or around Yemen. Before that, it was already in Arabia, because upstream the only other samples comes from Qatar. One more upstream, still the Near East, UAE.
This clade, R-FT194157, is very, very old. You got 72 SNPs in Arabians and even then we are still with Lebanon and Armenia. This SNP count might be too high (not averaged out because of just these few samples), but its still a possible Yamnaya-related lineage, downstream of R-Z2103, which moved into the Near East very early.

In any case, it looks like its in Arabia for thousands of years already.

Thank you for your reply.
Can I track / draw the map of my ancestor’s migration journey?

Thank you for your reply.
Can I track / draw the map of my ancestor’s migration journey?

Its not always correct obviously, since its just based on the currently available data, but its still useful and might give you a clue:
http://scaledinnovation.com/gg/snpTracker.html

For your case, the timing might be more questionable, but route might be correct. In any case, one big walk through Central Asia and back again :p

Hi,
I am an Arab from Yafa’a, Yemen, we have been living there since CE1559 as per our family recorded history. Recently I have taken DNA test (Big Y-700 by FTDNA) and my result is: Confirmed Haplogroup (R-FT385555 is a subgroup of R-M269), Region: Western Europe; low frequencies in Turkey, and the Northern Fertile Crescent.
I have no connections to the above regions. So, what does this haplogroup say about my ethnicity and my origins? and where did I / my ancestors come from?
I would appreciate if one of you experts could help me

Haplogroups are not exactly from one place.
Just see your own case.

Your family has been in Yemen since the XVI century, and you don't have the 'typical Arab Haplogroup'. Turns out you're R1b.

That is because nothing is absolutely fixed in one border. One Haplogroup may have succeeded in one particular place.

But nobody guarantees you that throughout history, with migrations, slavery and empires...
Some ancestral population, at some point, that may be in the Middle Ages, the Roman Empire or the Early Antiquity(Bronze Age, Iron Age...); Came to southern Arabia.

And then become integrated and part of the society.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 2378 times.

Back