Upper Palaeolithic hunter-gatherers from San Teodoro cave Sicily

kingjohn

Reaction score
Genomic ancestry, diet and microbiomes of Upper Palaeolithic hunter-gatherers from San Teodoro cave (Sicily, Italy)
Gabriele Scorrano, Sofie Holtsmark Nielsen, Domenico Lo Vetro, Meaghan Mackie, Ashot Margaryan, Anna K. Fotakis, Cristina Martinez-Labarga, Pier Francesco Fabbri, Morten E. Allentoft, Marialetizia Carra, Fabio Martini, Olga Rickards, Jesper V. Olsen, Enrico Cappellini, Martin Sikora
This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review

Abstract
Recent improvements in the analysis of ancient biomolecules from human remains and associated dental calculus have provided new insights into the prehistoric diet and past genetic diversity of our species. Here we present a multi-omics study, integrating genomic and proteomic analyses of two post-Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) individuals from San Teodoro cave (Italy), to reconstruct their lifestyle and the post-LGM resettlement of Europe. Our analyses show genetic homogeneity in Sicily during the Palaeolithic, representing a hitherto unknown Italian genetic lineage within the previously identified Villabruna cluster. We argue that this lineage took refuge in Italy during the LGM, followed by a subsequent spread to central-western Europe. Multi-omics analysis of dental calculus showed a diet rich of animal proteins which is also reflected on the oral microbiome composition. Our results demonstrate the power of using a multi-omics approach in the study of prehistoric human populations

source:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.08.471745v1

a-location-of-caves-in-Mediterranean-area-b-San-Teodoro-Cave-c-Za-Minica-Cave.jpg

a) location of caves in Mediterranean area; b) San Teodoro Cave; c) Zà Minica Cave

p.s
as usuall as expected
;)

Haplogroups
Sex mtDNA Y
XY U5b2b I2a2
XX U5b2b

KingJohn: Thanks for posting that link to this paper. I saw it at bioRxiv but I can't log in from my office computer. While I don't know how closely my I-M223 is to the San Teodoro Cave Sicilian WHG, at a personal level, good to see a I2a2 (I-M436) Man in Sicily that far back from which I-M223 is downstream from.

This thread has been viewed 2210 times.

Back