Do I have Gothic blood? Help me interpret my results

kile

Reaction score
I made 20 posts just to be able to post images in this thread, so bear with me :embarassed:
My MyHeritage results were a bit surprising. These were my results: Balkan: 62.5% East European: 26.4% Iberian: 7.9% Askhenazi Jew: 3.2%

My173w3.jpg

I am from Croatia and know my family tree to around the 1900s so far (waiting for more info). The Iberian part astounds me. 8% is not little. I feel I would of known about it since by those stats my greatgreatpa/ma would have to be full Ibearian yet there no last names or first names in my family that aren't Croatian or at least Slavic (they all end in -ić). There's no Askhenazi in my family either but it's plausable to have 3% unkown especially since Jews did exist here. Spainards? Portugese? Not really. Later, I did the K13 model - Ancient K4 for Central Europe and Balkans (Feiichy & Andre) These were the results:

UkzVDDE.png

MyTrueAncestry showed this archeological find to be the most related to me.

7JRG9LQ.png

It also showed this one as my #1 ancient relative.

V3ztA84.png

I also did the the EuPedia ancestry for late antiquity and middle ages.

qkFBy0C.png

What was odd as well is that most Spainards&Portugues that take MyHeritage tests almost always get some North African and Irish&British. After all, the foundation of the Iberian stock are the Moors, Celts, Romans and Visigoths. Visigoths. So, they come up as Iberian? They're a Germanic tribe. That would explain why Vahaduo shows Germanic, while MyHeritage shows Iberian. This is what I get on K13 updated.

F7AGaQh.png

Croat_South as expected since a lot of my forefathers come from Herzegovina&Dalmatia. When emperor Valens brought Ostrogoths over the Danube they later moved with the Alemanni and plenty settled in Dalmatia. Is it possible that my ancestors have lived in some parts where there were pockets of remnants of Gothic DNA and thus resulting in the missinterpretation of MyHeritage of it as Iberian? I can't grasp how people with -ić last names and first names as Toma or Mijat could have Spaniard or Portuguese blood. Short family history: Dads mom&dad come from a very homogenous village in a very homogenous part of Herzegovina (Croats), greatgrendpa also from that village, greatgrandma from a village nearby there (now part of a small homogenous town). From moms side, grandma is a Croat from Bosnia, greatgrandpa is from Lika, greatgrandma is from Dalmatia. Every single last name ends with -ić and all the first names of these people are completely regular Croat names.

Also my K13 Ancient :

Kh4T6WY.png

Chernyakhov culture thought to be the result of a multiethnic cultural mix of the Geto-Dacian (including Romanised Daco-Romans), Sarmatian, and Gothic populations of the area.

You are possibly right in the Gothic connection. Other possible explanation is for that 8% of Iberian to be Sephardic Jewish linked to the Askhenazi percentage, but it's a little far fetched.

This tells that you're Balkan. 62%+ is very high. I believe all other indicators are basically assumptions of their own instrument indicators of a particular company. All people have a genetic makeup of several haplos, so most people tested could find themselves whatever their preferences.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

My Heritage is not reliable if its about Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry and its generally not the best company for ethnicity estimates. Ashkenazi being especially unreliable for people from the more Southern parts of Europe and it gets even worse in the Middle East, just google some Lebanese testers results. That's why the only way to find out whether its real or not is to check for Ashkenazi Jewish matches and whether they overlap on specific segments. Iberian is just a general Southern European component many people get, it means nothing on MH, other than "more Southern, not Eastern".
Bear in mind that the Illyrians were pretty close to Italians and Iberians, Southern Bell Beakers in general, coming largely from a mixture of Middle Danubians with local Balkan people in the Middle Bronze Age. I wouldn't put too much faith into that, other than you have "Southern European" ancestry.

The best thing you can do is check for matches in common, I would concentrate, going by your result, on the following groups:
Ashkenazi Jewish
Sephardic Jewish
Hungarian
German

You might have a little bit from one of those.

My Heritage is not reliable if its about Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry and its generally not the best company for ethnicity estimates. Ashkenazi being especially unreliable for people from the more Southern parts of Europe and it gets even worse in the Middle East, just google some Lebanese testers results. That's why the only way to find out whether its real or not is to check for Ashkenazi Jewish matches and whether they overlap on specific segments. Iberian is just a general Southern European component many people get, it means nothing on MH, other than "more Southern, not Eastern".
Bear in mind that the Illyrians were pretty close to Italians and Iberians, Southern Bell Beakers in general, coming largely from a mixture of Middle Danubians with local Balkan people in the Middle Bronze Age. I wouldn't put too much faith into that, other than you have "Southern European" ancestry.

The best thing you can do is check for matches in common, I would concentrate, going by your result, on the following groups:
Ashkenazi Jewish
Sephardic Jewish
Hungarian
German

You might have a little bit from one of those.

Ethnic:
Ashkenazi Jewish - closest match 0.4% DNA in common (27,1 cM)
Sephardic Jewish - closest match 0.3% DNA in common (23,4 cM)

Hungary - closest match 0.6% (40, 00 cM)
2nd closest - 0.4% (27,7 cM)
27.6, 26...

Germany - closest match 4.2% (298 cM) - but we know about this person, the person related to us (Croat) moved to Germany, married a German woman and his son is this match <-
2nd closest match - 1.1% (76,7 cM) - this person is in Germany but the first and last name is Croatian, I don't know about him
3rd closest match - 0.7% (52,1 cM) - German last name with German ancestor last names
4th closest match - Croatian last name
5th closest match - 0.6% (44,1 cM)- German woman with German ancestor last names
A lot of Croatian last names follow

rtDBJMD.png

Keep note that most of the people on these lists have Croat names & last names.
I haven't seen a single non-slavic last name in the Swiss section.
More testing in western countries.

Key is whether fully Jewish or German matches get the same segments all the time. This would point to a possible common ancestor from those groups. Doesn't have to, but could be. If its different segments which don't repeat and most have Croatian ancestors anyway, forget it.

Key is whether fully Jewish or German matches get the same segments all the time. This would point to a possible common ancestor from those groups. Doesn't have to, but could be. If its different segments which don't repeat and most have Croatian ancestors anyway, forget it.

Different segments & most have Croat ancestors.

It's highly unlikely that Visigothic blood is classified as Iberian. It's the kind of thing that in a test of a Spaniard would say "Germanic".

That must mean that in Croatia there is some Southwest European component that has been called "Iberian". Which is weird, because Italian would make more sense.

That is a possibility. The other is that you have a Spanish Y-DNA, maybe R1b-DF27.

My ancestry comes from the mountains of northern Albania, and my FTDNA results show 4% Irish, while on MyHeritage I get 3.4% Iberian. It could possibly also be Celtic maybe

I will say your result is not uncommon, from the MyHeritage results I've seen from Balkan people. I've even sees Albanians and Greeks get a few % Sardinian, or Basque. For South East Europeans, on MyHeritage, a few % Italian/Iberian/Sardinian/Basque pops up sometimes. Like Riverman said, the early Illyrians were similar in autosomal DNA with some Iberians, Italians, Celts, so sometimes this DNA shows up in Balkan people, I wouldn't worry about, it's just South Euro genes.

I've seen MyHeritage results from Italians who got higher Iberian than Italian, and Spaniards who got more Italian than Iberian. And Greeks who scored higher Italian than Greek. MyHeritage is known to not be that accurate compared to others. These DNA companies and calculators vary, so results will sometimes differ. There was a glitch in the past where nearly everyone on MyHeritage was getting a few % Nigerian, until they fixed it, lol.

On MyTrueAncestry, my top matches were Gallo-Roman, Hellenic Roman, Roman/Byzantine. They are just comparing your DNA to old samples, it doesn't necessarily mean there was a Visigoth in your lineage, but that your genetic components are closest to that Visigoth sample. I also get the Visigoth match but it's one of my farther matches down the list. I get some "Roman Hispania" too, so I wouldn't take these ancient matches seriously yet. As time goes on, we'll have so many new samples that our Ancient Matches will continue to get more accurate with shorter numerical distances. Your top match was a distance of 6, mine was like 9+, so they are too distant and not totally accurate yet

MyHeritage is a mailbox company.
They're really making great cash and I can't believe people are actually paying for it. Save yourself the money and go with a legit company.

They're really making great cash and I can't believe people are actually paying for it. Save yourself the money and go with a legit company.

What would you recommend?

Don't these tests only measure recent ancestry? The way they work is they see how many distant relatives you share with a specific group, but anything past a 6th cousin is immeasurable. So they only go back like 2-300 years.

many companies are nearly all the same

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart

23andMe v5, LivingDNA v1, FTDNA v2, and MyHeritage v2 use the core Illumina Global Screen Array (GSA) chip

I used the free version to check that [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G991B using Eupedia Forum mobile app
[emoji16][emoji16]

By the way, I missed that you're Croatian. Croatia is part of Europe where a lot of different migrations occurred. You may very well have some Gothic ancestry. As well as Celtic, Italic, Slavic, Greek etc. I'm Swedish and nothing happened here as much as on the continent (Sweden is technically continental Europe as well). Once it was settled it basically stayed the same. Continental Europe and Britain have a much more varied and mixed population.

[emoji16][emoji16]

By the way, I missed that you're Croatian. Croatia is part of Europe where a lot of different migrations occurred. You may very well have some Gothic ancestry. As well as Celtic, Italic, Slavic, Greek etc. I'm Swedish and nothing happened here as much as on the continent (Sweden is technically continental Europe as well). Once it was settled it basically stayed the same. Continental Europe and Britain have a much more varied and mixed population.

Well, I wouldn't say it stayed the same, there was a lot of influx in pre-Iron Age times, and there was of course later backflow in the Germanic era, as well as modern immigration (Germans, Walloons, Jews in particular). However, most of the immigration came from a similar people having a similar ancestral composition of the basic European components most of the time - at that time. So basically similar people immigrated and didn't change as much.
In the case of Croatia, Germanics and Slavs were signficantly different from the preceding populations.

Well, I wouldn't say it stayed the same, there was a lot of influx in pre-Iron Age times, and there was of course later backflow in the Germanic era, as well as modern immigration (Germans, Walloons, Jews in particular). However, most of the immigration came from a similar people having a similar ancestral composition of the basic European components most of the time - at that time. So basically similar people immigrated and didn't change as much.
In the case of Croatia, Germanics and Slavs were signficantly different from the preceding populations.

Thanks for the comment. You're right, we had some smaller influx. A couple of Jewish families came in the late 18th century. But they didn't have full rights in the society and didn't mix at the time. Germans are the largest group of immigrants, thanks to them we started to develop and they built Stockholm, almost single handed. Wallons are almost mythical in our history. Many people walk around saying they have Walloon blood, especially if people have dark hair and eyes. I usually find it funny, since it wasn't numerous, they came with families, and most also left. Sources say about 900 stayed here permanently.

Regarding Croatia I agree, made this comment in regard to Sweden where not much happened in comparison.

This thread has been viewed 5452 times.

Back