R-Z253 in Southern Italy

A. C.

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-Z253
Hi all, this is my first post here. I recently got my SNP results and hoped someone could help me understand them.
My haplogroup is R-Z253, which seems to be associated with Insular Celts, however my parental lineage is from southern Italy (Campania).
With my current understanding, I can only think that it was brought there during the Norman conquest of southern Italy or during later foreign rules, such as the Angevins'.

I guess there's the possibility of being descendants of Gallic slaves. There were a lot of Gladiators as well in Campania, especially Naples (Neapolis then) during the late Republic at least.
But this is just lazy conjecture.

Though R1b-U152 (of which yours is a subclade, correct?) being common among Angevins wouldn't surprise me.

I guess there's the possibility of being descendants of Gallic slaves. There were a lot of Gladiators as well in Campania, especially Naples (Neapolis then) during the late Republic at least.
But this is just lazy conjecture.

Though R1b-U152 (of which yours is a subclade, correct?) being common among Angevins wouldn't surprise me.

Z253 is a subclade of DF13. In South Italy must be of Norman heritage.

This thread has been viewed 1935 times.

Back