Sviatopolk I of Kiev may have been I-Z63

kmak

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatopolk_I_of_Kiev

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I-Z63

''The I-S2077 subclade of Y-DNA haplogroup I-Z63 was sampled on an elite warrior buried in Bodzia (Poland) in a rich burial from ca. 1010-1020 AD. All artefacts there indicate a strong relation to the Kievan Rus' ruling elite, so this man who probably succumbed to combat wounds, was in a close relationship with Sviatopolk. The cemetery in Bodzia is exceptional in terms of Scandinavian and Kievan Rus' links. The Bodzia man (sample VK157, or burial E864/I) was not a simple warrior from the princely retinue, but he belonged to the princely family himself. His burial is the richest one in the whole cemetery, and strontium analysis of his tooth enamel shows he was not local. It is assumed that he came to Poland with Sviatopolk, and met a violent death in combat. This corresponds to the events of 1018 AD when Sviatopolk himself disappeared after having retreated from Kiev to Poland. It cannot be excluded that the Bodzia man was Sviatopolk himself.[2][3][4]''

so he is not decent of Rurik? Rurikid was N-L1025.

so he is not decent of Rurik? Rurikid was N-L1025.
Rurikid have different Y-DNA such as N1c, R1a and I1-I2. How that is possible? I think that Rurik is no real person. Scandinavians whose they became ruling class of east slavs, claimed ''legendary'' common ancestor named Rurik.

More information on the Bodzia cemetery and the grave in question, from Supplement 1 of Population genomics of the Viking world

Thread discussing the article: Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020)

-----

Bodzia, located in the north-central part of Poland, approximately 40 km south-east of the city of
Toruń, is one of the most fascinating archaeological discoveries dating back to the time of origin of
the Polish state. The main discovery connected to this site relates to the remains of an early medieval
cemetery found in 2007 during rescue excavations carried out by the Institute of Archeology and
Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences along the route of the A1 motorway. The discovery
encompassed 50 chamber-like graves dated to the late 10th and early 11th centuries AD; along with 8
belonging to a 2nd phase (dating back to between the second half of the 11th century and the early
12th century). The unique character of this burial ground mainly lies in the fact that members of a
small elite population have been buried there. Furthermore, almost all the dead are orientated N-S, in
what is an uncommon feature for that time in Mediaeval Europe.

The layout of the cemetery has no analogies in Europe. It is formed of rows of graves with large
burial pits placed in quadrangular burial spaces. The burial field is divided into rectangular sepulchral
spaces, marked on the surface and arranged into 4 rows oriented along the east-west axis. Some of
these plots are adjacent, especially those in the northern row with the shape of a trapezium narrowing
down to the east. The others, located more to the south, are arranged in smaller clusters or
individually, retaining the same orientation as the rest. The burials were located compactly and
contiguously, in this way ensuring a clear delimitation of the cemetery boundaries.

Equally unique are the rich grave goods, which may be linked mainly with Scandinavia and Kievan
Rus, but also with Southern and Western Europe. A characteristic feature of all the burials here is the
bountiful presence of a range of items, including weapons (sword, langsax, spearhead, Khazarian-
type pickaxe) – in the case of men, and numerous ornaments (rings, pendants, amulets, kaptorgas,
necklaces, etc.) – in the case of women. There are abundant coins: 67 items from 58 graves. These
relate to the Holy Roman Empire, England, the Premyslid State and Poland. These and many other
features make the cemetery at Bodzia a very specific example highlighting Europe’s past.

A study based on the strontium isotope 87Sr/86Sr112 combined with genetic analyses113 show that a
part of the population buried at Bodzia was not local, but was probably of Scandinavian and/or Rus-
Varangian origin. A special role is played here by the tomb of a young warrior (E864/I) buried
together with three young women; one of them was placed below him, in what is a two-level burial
pit. In his tomb, a ceremonial sword was folded, ornamented in the Mammen style. On the strap-end
there is a bident – the tamga of Prince Sviatopolk the Accursed (1015-1019) – son of Vladimir the
Great and husband of a daughter of Polish king Boleslav I (the Brave).
The cemetery extends back to the period in which the Polish State had its origins, and also relates to
unknown episodes in that state formation, and to the emergence of elites in the early state under the
Piasts. The aforementioned features (as well as others) ensure this discovery unique status where
Europe’s past is concerned.

Bone remains of five individuals have been studied (see the inventory of the burials and their contents
after Sobkowiak-Tabaka114; with dating after Buko and Kara115):

[...]

E864/I (♂) – adultus, skeleton with several injuries made by a sharp-edged tool with lack of traces of
healing suggesting a violent death; weapons including an iron Petersen Type Z sword (with swords
of this type mainly dated to the first half and middle of the 11th century, i.e. the Late Viking Period116;
dated 1010-1020 AD;

This thread has been viewed 2472 times.

Back