I-M253 in Spain

Fitzalan

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M253
I am a member of Y Haplogroup I1, subclade I-M253, which has its highest frequency in Sweden and Finland's Satakunta province, apparently. I am from Spain, my paternal line comes from Asturias which was the last Visigothic stronghold in Medieval Spain.

I would like to find out more information about my haplogroup, as it is apparently found in very low percentages in the Iberian peninsula, albeit a little bit higher in the Northwestern part of it where my ancestors lived on my father's line for, at least, the last 200 years based on records I have had access to.

So, am I to assume the first of my paternal ancestors to settle in Spain must have been a member of one of the Germanic tribes (Goths, Suebi) that took over Spain after the fall of the Western Roman Empire?

Hola. You have a page for that Haplogroup in this same site.

But the Nordic Haplogroup comes most likely from 2 possible sources:
1) As you said, the Visigoths, that reigned after the Romans and seek refuge in Asturias. By the way, Asturias was always a center of the resistence against the Muslims.

Or 2) it may be a part of the European crusaders that came during the Reconquista to fight alongside the Christian kingdoms. This was actually a thing.

I think there was significant conflict in Spain between native Haplogroup I men and incoming Neolithic farmers.

Hola tío

According to 23andme, my paternal haplogroup is I-BY11 (or also known as I-Y7074) which is a descendant of the Nordic I1 and its subclade I-M253.

I am from Puerto Rico where a large part of my ancestors have lived since the 1600s based on parish records of San Juan, PR. According to my DNA results from 23andme & Ancestry.com, most of my Iberian ancestors are from the Canary Islands, Galicia, and Castilla & León.

I inherited I-BY11 (I-Y7074) from my fourth great-great-grandfather Remigio Nieves who was likely born in Puerto Rico in the late 1700s. I don't know more about him and his ancestors, but the surname "Nieves" is said to be of Galician-Portuguese or Asturian-Leonese origin.

My I-BY11 (I-Y7074) was established about 700-800 years ago in northwest Iberia and has two descendants known as I-Y7067 & I-Y7065 which apparently are found exclusively in northern Portugal.

The exact line of my haplogroup is as follows: I-M253> DF29 > Z63 > BY151 > BY351 > BY332 > BY353 > BY333 > BY11 > its children Y7067 > Y7065 & ends.

I have also tried to look for more information about the origin of my haplogroup and it looks like the few haplogroups of Nordic descent in Iberia were brought after the Romans and before the Moors by the Gothic Visigoths who were from the Nordic original to Sweden where I1 was born.

These few haplogroups that descend from I1 appear to be concentrated in the northwestern area of Spain and Portugal. According to 23andme and Gedmatch, several of my distant relatives from Puerto Rico also have I1 haplogroups, but as in Spain, they are few in Puerto Rico compared to R1b haplogroups.

In any case, information available about I1 haplogroups in Iberia point toward a Galician-Portuguese or Asturian-Leonese origin brought to the peninsula by the Gothic Visigoths who were themselves from Sweden in Scandinavia, the ancestral home of I1.

I found a website that helps you easily track your Haplogroup, but it won't let me post it completely here.

Put http at the beginning of the link I gave you below to make it work.

://scaledinnovation.com/gg/snpTracker.html

The Visigoth connection seems plausible. I-Z63 has been found in other medieval contexts related to Goths and Lombards.

Facebook has active groups both for I1 and Z63, you’ll meet other Iberian and Caribbean people there.

The Visigoth connection seems plausible. I-Z63 has been found in other medieval contexts related to Goths and Lombards.

Facebook has active groups both for I1 and Z63, you’ll meet other Iberian and Caribbean people there.

Visigoths In spain where also there with the Vandals , who eventually took north-africa ( from morocco to tunisia ) and later invaded Rome from there.

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/VANDALS, SUEVI, VISIGOTHS.htm

This thread has been viewed 2199 times.

Back