Are we sure CHG weren't G2a?

saraman

Banned
Reaction score
The bulk of CHG ancestry today is in Georgia and majority of them have G2a as their ydna like Svans and Abkhazians. The two samples from Georgia with J could really just be assimilated y dna that's my idea.

The bulk of CHG ancestry today is in Georgia and majority of them have G2a as their ydna like Svans and Abkhazians. The two samples from Georgia with J could really just be assimilated y dna that's my idea.
The bulk of the G2a in the caucuses (G2a1-Z6702) is quite young, only around ~6,500 years according to YFull. Which aligns better with G2a arriving to the caucuses during the neolithic rather than G2a being a major lineage in CHG.

I would also agree that it more closely fits the "association" we have with G and Georgia but J1/J2 in Georgia might be just as high overall.

Additionally, what makes the arrival of the PIE invaders unique in the context of Europe was not just the Ancient North Eurasian but also the Caucasus Hunter Gatherer which was itself different from but from the same source as G2a aka Anatolian Hunter Gatherer and later Anatolian Neolithic Farmer. Had Caucasus Hunter Gatherer been G, then it would have shown as overlap and the PIE invasion would only be important for the intrusion of Ancient North Eurasian DNA and not Caucasus Hunter Gatherer because it would already be there latent by the LNA to EBA.

I do think G represents Basal Eurasian the best, however. Some argue for Caucasus Hunter Gatherer here as well but it seems to me that G represents the most modern wave of human OOA that didn't mix with Neanderthal or Denisovan.

This thread has been viewed 1425 times.

Back