Isn't race based solely on what you look like?

Reaction score
Aren't people grouped into racial categories due to phenotype alone? For the most part, aren't "white" people called white because that's what they look like? And "black" people black because that's also what they look like?

I've heard the term "white-passing" being thrown around by some people. But how come I never hear "black-passing" or "brown-passing"? Doesn't being "white-passing" just mean you are functionally white, but are "othered" for socio-cultural reasons?

On the street, for the most part it's looks that determine who you are. I walk into a store, I'm gonna visually distinguish the white people from non-white people. In most cases, I'd say phenotype matters more than actual origin. I'm gonna be comfortable with someone who looks like me, regardless of where they're from.

I feel like race is being tied too much into cultural/political undertones, when it should be a mere phenotypical label. In 99% of cases, a fully Caucasian male or female does not have substantial non-Caucasoid admixture. White-passing people are literally given preferential treatment and aren't racialized or targeted. It's absurd to call them people of color. Any discrimination they may face, will not be based on what they look like. It's called visible minority for a reason. I mean in most enclaves that are full of POC's, nobody's gonna ask you about your background or where you're from. Most discriminatory practice after all involves how one looks. Nowadays, whiteness has indeed become what you look like.

So if race is solely a physical descriptor, then doesn't looking white make one actually white?

Most whites are genetically mixed. The difference is those with recent admixture, and those with ancestral admixture. That's why White passing people often look like regular whites. So practically, White passing people are just Whites.

Most whites are genetically mixed. The difference is those with recent admixture, and those with ancestral admixture. That's why White passing people often look like regular whites. So practically, White passing people are just Whites.

Exactly... so passing for white means you are actually white. It's based on what you look like. So I don't see how placing them into the "POC" category could work for someone who is clearly a white Caucasian.

Exactly... so passing for white means you are actually white. It's based on what you look like. So I don't see how placing them into the "POC" category could work for someone who is clearly a white Caucasian.

let me rephrase one of your sentences: being "white" just means you are functionally "caucasian", but are "othered" for socio-cultural reasons.

there are many different opinions on what "white" actually means. but i think for most it is still meaning either people of european descent or only certain parts of europe. it definitly also matters in which country you live. because there is no real reason to make such divisions other than socio-cultures ones. people want to have their own exclusive group to make themselves different from the others even if there is no real difference.

personally i do not know anyone here who uses the term "white". but it is often used by very left media or in discussions about racism and diversity that are very much influenced by american culture, but even there if they write "white" they actually mean "german" most of the time. or they are talking about the U.S population.

let me rephrase one of your sentences: being "white" just means you are functionally "caucasian", but are "othered" for socio-cultural reasons.

there are many different opinions on what "white" actually means. but i think for most it is still meaning either people of european descent or only certain parts of europe. it definitly also matters in which country you live. because there is no real reason to make such divisions other than socio-cultures ones. people want to have their own exclusive group to make themselves different from the others even if there is no real difference.

personally i do not know anyone here who uses the term "white". but it is often used by very left media or in discussions about racism and diversity that are very much influenced by american culture, but even there if they write "white" they actually mean "german" most of the time. or they are talking about the U.S population.

European isn't the boundaries of whiteness. A good chunk of Levantines and South Americans are white as well.

This thread has been viewed 1757 times.

Back