Last edited:
UstIshim

Yana Paleolithic Siberia

PittedWare

Michelsberg

Natufian+ PPN + Neolithic Sites

Last edited:
Baltic HG

They look very strange. One sample is heterozygote for red hair. Normally he/she would be very dark brown haired and a little darker skinned, but I choose to paint them homozygote for the allele, to show how a homozygote would look like:

Srubnaya

Hungarian Scythian

Globular Amphora

Corded Ware Baltic

Battle Axe

Cardial Pottery

Last edited:
Sunghir

Stroke Ornament Pottery

Altai Neanderthal

Neanderthal site merge (Forbes Quarry, Devils Tower, Mezmaiskaya, various smaller European sites and Neanderthal/Denisova hybrid child)

Early Neolithic Greece

Azilian

Eastern Bell Beaker

Ertebölle

Andronovo

Irish Neolithic

Mesolithic Italy

Last edited:
@Doggerland could you make a face photo based on the delivered snp's from the three of us.....I'm curios!

2 Tarim Mummies:

Another Latvian Baltic HG:

Shum Laka

Ancient Native American merge (Kennewick, Clovis, Mesolithic Andes)

Denisova Altai

Salkhit Mongolian Paleolithic:

Kostenki:

Mesolithic Ukraine:

Iberomaurusian:

My basic admixture…

fcl1iHF.png

…and the pics

AnatoliaHG+Neolithic:

TS2T0Uy.png

Yamnaya:

yrW2JAr.png

Iberomaurusian:

eB1PfPb.png

WHG (
Cheddar Man):

E4Ln4Cs.png

No disrespect Doggerland, but none of the reconstructions have more squared off jaw lines which are ubiquitous in parts of Europe today.

Perhaps the snps haven't yet been discovered?

My basic admixture…

Admixture and traits are not the same. I would not use Admixture to determine someones look. For example then I have to be long faced, blonde and blue eyed, which is not the case. Or I must look like Battle Axe Sweden which I got in one ancestry calculator at gedmatch as highest match, which is far from reality.
My grandfather on mothers side for example was tall, blonde, blue eyed and long skulled. But my grandma was black haired, light brown skinned and blue eyed. My father was black haired ,blue eyed and little more darker skinned. My mother was blue eyed too. But now how I look: Light skinned, brown haired, hazel eyes, brachycephalic.
How can that be that both of my parents had blue eyes but not me? They are my parents, this is proven by genetics. Because of the heterozygosity of some alleles and traits that are recessive, only show up if both alleles for it are present. I am heterozygote for red hair, but nobody in my family has ever had red hair, the trait never got homozygote in the last 4 generations.

And it even gets more complicated: For example two populations of humans can have light skin, but both carry different dark skin causing alleles but they are hidden by the light skin causing ones. If they mate, a child with brown skin can be born, if the child inherits the dark skin causing alleles of both populations.

Your ancestors carried many different traits and nobody can say via admixture, which ones you have inherited, which ones have persisted over many generations, this is not possible by using admixture calculators.

No disrespect Doggerland, but none of the reconstructions have more squared off jaw lines which are ubiquitous in parts of Europe today.

Perhaps the snps haven't yet been discovered?

Ah, FaceMaker has no option for changing zygomatic breadth. In the newer reconstructions like Taim Mummies, Kostenki or Salkhit I used the GIMP Warptransformation tool to create broader cheekbones, if they where indicated. Maybe I should overwork the older ones.

There is an option at faceMaker for making the face more male or female. I decided to give the males and females full gender related features. The males may have over-prominent masculine features. To make this more precise, I would have to search for the SNPs that are influencing testosterone features. But I only know one that is linked to testosterone and facial features and that is the one that I am using to differentiate between a square jaw like in the Irish Neolithic and the “soft” jaw like in Cardial Pottery. The study only says what allele is the one that is causing a more prominent jaw, not how much i should shift the button in faceMaker in the direction.

The blonde hair phenotype in the tarim mummies can only be from the Late Bronze Age onwards (Andronovo), because the earlier ones had darker hair.

Quote from EurekAlert! - "5,000-year population history of Xinjiang brought to light in new ancient DNA study":
"The majority of individuals investigated had dark brown to black hair and brown eye color throughout Bronze Age, Iron Age, and HE. Corresponded with the appearance of Andronovo Steppe ancestry, a small proportion of the Iron Age individuals are marked blond hair, blue eyes and lighter skin tone in the west and north of Xinjiang."

Tarim phenotype

The blonde hair phenotype in the tarim mummies can only be from the Late Bronze Age onwards (Andronovo), because the earlier ones had darker hair.

Quote from EurekAlert! - "5,000-year population history of Xinjiang brought to light in new ancient DNA study":
"The majority of individuals investigated had dark brown to black hair and brown eye color throughout Bronze Age, Iron Age, and HE. Corresponded with the appearance of Andronovo Steppe ancestry, a small proportion of the Iron Age individuals are marked blond hair, blue eyes and lighter skin tone in the west and north of Xinjiang."

Admixture and traits are not the same. I would not use Admixture to determine someones look. For example then I have to be long faced, blonde and blue eyed, which is not the case. Or I must look like Battle Axe Sweden which I got in one ancestry calculator at gedmatch as highest match, which is far from reality.
My grandfather on mothers side for example was tall, blonde, blue eyed and long skulled. But my grandma was black haired, light brown skinned and blue eyed. My father was black haired ,blue eyed and little more darker skinned. My mother was blue eyed too. But now how I look: Light skinned, brown haired, hazel eyes, brachycephalic.
How can that be that both of my parents had blue eyes but not me? They are my parents, this is proven by genetics. Because of the heterozygosity of some alleles and traits that are recessive, only show up if both alleles for it are present. I am heterozygote for red hair, but nobody in my family has ever had red hair, the trait never got homozygote in the last 4 generations.

And it even gets more complicated: For example two populations of humans can have light skin, but both carry different dark skin causing alleles but they are hidden by the light skin causing ones. If they mate, a child with brown skin can be born, if the child inherits the dark skin causing alleles of both populations.

Your ancestors carried many different traits and nobody can say via admixture, which ones you have inherited, which ones have persisted over many generations, this is not possible by using admixture calculators.

Thanks for the explanation Doggerland. I am a colonial Iberian, that is, a mestizo of Iberian ethnicities with some “exotic” ethnic pinchs received in the new world that make me not matches into any very typical phenotype of a certain region. I change my avatar here on Eupedia by taking advantage of my own selfies taken on random occasions at home or at work
LP0Jty8.jpg

@Duarte … I watched a documentary where they DNA tested a Brazilian tribes, … they carry some extra Aboriginal Australians Ancestry, … or so they say :)

@Duarte … I watched a documentary where they DNA tested a Brazilian tribes, … they carry some extra Aboriginal Australians Ancestry, … or so they say :)

Hi Salento.
This information about the existence of a documentary approaching the subject of contact between South American Indians and Australasian people is very interesting.

Some studies indicate contacts between South American Indians and Polynesians long before Columbus arrived in America and apparently it was a two-way street:

GkKCxXR.jpg

Crossing the Pacific

A genetic study suggests that South Americans from present-day Colombia somehow reached the Marquesas Islands in the 12th century. Traces of their DNA were eventually passed down to people living on Rapa Nui and nearby Polynesian islands

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/science/polynesian-ancestry.amp.html

https://www.nature.com/news/dna-study-links-indigenous-brazilians-to-polynesians-1.12710

nice, … 1150 AD, … around the time of the Foggia Vikings landing in North America, :unsure::)

Hi Salento.
This information about the existence of a documentary approaching the subject of contact between South American Indians and Australasian people is very interesting.

Some studies indicate contacts between South American Indians and Polynesians long before Columbus arrived in America and apparently it was a two-way street:

GkKCxXR.jpg

Crossing the Pacific

A genetic study suggests that South Americans from present-day Colombia somehow reached the Marquesas Islands in the 12th century. Traces of their DNA were eventually passed down to people living on Rapa Nui and nearby Polynesian islands

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/science/polynesian-ancestry.amp.html

https://www.nature.com/news/dna-study-links-indigenous-brazilians-to-polynesians-1.12710

20,000-Year-Old Link Between Brazil’s Indigenous People And Ancient Australians

University of São Paulo … Australian DNA is even more widespread in Indigenous South Americans than originally thought …

https://allthatsinteresting.com/ancient-australian-dna-south-america

I agree with you Doggerland that phenotype and admixture are not 1:1. In some sense it is a tombola (but no whole ;)

Nevertheless it's no coincidence that for example the Baltics have a high HG and the current phenotype. So there is a kind of relationship but it's not absolute....

This thread has been viewed 7243 times.

Back