ICM in Syrian from Damascus

Li3w

Reaction score
Hi,

I did a 23andme test and it said I’m ~40% Iranian, Caucasian, or Mesopotamian, and only 36% Levantine. Since that’s such a large percentage, I would expect to be some historical record of such a large migration happening, given that other Syrians report similar results from 23andme. Also, this can’t be a few random Kurds or Assyrians moving into the big cities, because Alawites also have a lot of ICM, according to 23andme, as do people from the countryside. I conclude this must be the result of a large migration, because migrations into cities don’t affect people in the countryside as much as those in cities, so I would expect rural people to have at the very least less ICM than city dwellers, but they have similar levels.

I can’t find historical evidence for this large-scale migration (that also affected Alawites, so it can’t be recent). Can someone explain my results?

Taken in account your geographic position, I don't find these %'s too surprising. The Caucasus/Iranlike component become to infltrate Near-East in West and Southwest early enough (Chalco at least, and even sooner for Central Anatolia, roughly said, and was reinforced later, without to go into details. The "Arab" pop come from South at Islam times was already impacted by the Caucasus/Iranlike component, I think.
I answer very vaguely here just to break the silence. There are other threads speaking about ancient Arabs and their components and other forumers more invested shall answer you more serioulsly.

This thread has been viewed 1258 times.

Back