Preview: Upcoming Ancient Greek Transect (Mesolithic to Medieval) from Biomuse.

real expert

Reaction score
This Preview of Ancient Greek Transect (Mesolithic to Medieval) from Biomuse was originally posted by Moriopoulos on AG.
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread...to-Medieval)-from-Biomuse&p=843017#post843017

The genetic heritage of ancient Greece: Bringing digitalised biohistory to museums

The project aims to analyse a series of 50 humans, including their full genomes, who lived in Greece from the Mesolithic to the Byzantine period. Based on the study of their skeletal remains and the reconstruction of each individual’s visible and functional phenotype, we create their “individual biographies”, and transfer these reconstructions into existing or new exhibitions, museums and cultural venues.
We propose a new approach to save, document, digitise, and share a previously underutilised source of human cultural and biological heritage information: namely, palaeogenomic and anthropological data taken directly from ancient humans.

http://https://biomuse.eu/project/?lang=en

XmrRb8Q.png

Interesting phenotype predictions and recreations:
79fym8t.png

dAwNS5l.png

60l2vT1.png

Thanks for sharing, looks like an interesting study.

Surprisingly, the female from Agios Panteleimonas is red haired which is very uncommon for the region.

Something that was expected.

Tried to ask moderators but private message function doesn't seem to work. Are leaks allowed here?

Iron Age Greeks seem Mycenean-like, with elite samples as well

Thank you once again for sharing even more images:

HvKDmKN.png

oqjfEiv.png

9DYO3Rc.png

zsTFBsn.png

2889iZe.png

e2rImgY.png

Wow!

Interesting thread, thanks for images. Some questions:

1) The Leaked PCA in post #2, where is this from. Is there a new working paper on Ancient Greek DNA (new samples) floating around in the works that is going to be published maybe this year?
2) If there is such a paper, what is the name of it, is there an Abstract presented at one of these Research Conferences since obviously it is not available at Biorxiv.
3) With regards to the Leaked PCA, can someone give me a relative position on where these Ancient Greeks by the time of the Late Bronze/Iron Age are plotting. Kind of hard to see but I do see Sicilian, Italian_South and Italian_North as populations in the PCA. Based on Lazaridis et al 2014, The Myceneans had maybe up to 16% Steppe Ancestry, which would put them as Jovialis is alluding to well within what most Southern Europeans have, e.g. Raveane et al 2019 (Figure 2, page 5) If I remember correctly had Northern Italian populations with the highest Steppe admixture at an amount of about 28%.

Thanks, PT

Can someone circle where Albanians are on the PCA? I can not see where they are, the image is quite blurry.

1) The Leaked PCA in post #2, where is this from. Is there a new working paper on Ancient Greek DNA (new samples) floating around in the works that is going to be published maybe this year?
2) If there is such a paper, what is the name of it, is there an Abstract presented at one of these Research Conferences since obviously it is not available at Biorxiv.
3) With regards to the Leaked PCA, can someone give me a relative position on where these Ancient Greeks by the time of the Late Bronze/Iron Age are plotting. Kind of hard to see but I do see Sicilian, Italian_South and Italian_North as populations in the PCA. Based on Lazaridis et al 2014, The Myceneans had maybe up to 16% Steppe Ancestry, which would put them as Jovialis is alluding to well within what most Southern Europeans have, e.g. Raveane et al 2019 (Figure 2, page 5) If I remember correctly had Northern Italian populations with the highest Steppe admixture at an amount of about 28%.

Thanks, PT

The majority of the samples plot in the range of LBA Myceneans. I guess Olalde 2022 was right to use the Empuries sample.

There was never any reason to believe that Iron Age Greeks would be different to the preceding Mycenaeans in the first place. That original autosomal profile likely lasted all the way through Classical period. It wasn't until the Hellenistic period when Greek civilization came to dominate the Eastern Mediterranean that we see the formation of a distinctively modern looking Cretan/Dodecanesian/Cypriot-like genetic profile, very similar to the Imperial Roman samples, after extensive intermixing between the original IA/Classical Greek and Greek-speaking but autosomal West Asian people. It's highly likely that this sort of Southeast Mediterranean genetic profile persisted well into the Roman/Byzantine period, where the assimilation of the Slavs crystallized the difference we see between the mainland and islands today.

This is why there is a similar level of Mycenaean-like ancestry (40-60%) across all modern Greeks (with the exception of Pontians from the Black Sea), with an inverse relationship between East European vs. West Asian admixture based on geography e.g. a Rhodian is a Cypriot with roughly 6% more Slavic, thus 6% less West Asian, Cretan is a Rhodian with around 8% more Slavic etc. all the way until you reach Macedonia.

They're close to the Byzantine sample.

maybe the story that albanians first reached the adriatic sea at the time of the Byzantines conquering that part of their empire is true ....................it should be after the goths passed through and before the norman invasions of modern Albania

Thanks, PT

apparently "Upcoming Ancient Greek Transect (Mesolithic to Medieval) from Biomuse"

This thread has been viewed 54072 times.

Back