Rivers essential for humanity/civilization?

Mmiikkii

Reaction score
Ethnic group
southern EUROPEAN
The importance of rivers for the appearance of the first civilizations, that were based primarily in the mastering of an agricultural economy, is a common topic in general culture.

The reasons are obvious:abundance of water, therefore food, easy transport and the bigger nets of population that transport enable.

But it's been quite some time that I thought that that could also be applied to the origins of Homo Sapiens as well.
If we think about it, humans have always needed an easy source of water, whether for our own agriculture or to hunt the animals that concentrate to drink there.

Also, we know that humanity comes from a stage where we grouped ourselves in very small packs, that resemble in no way to nowadays regions, nations or continents or globes.

Today it's easy to be this way, but I hypothesize that in order to evolve towards that, we needed some sort of physical enabler to grow to the scale at which we organize today.

I propose that to be rivers. Great rivers in particular.
For the first great dispersal into Eurasia from Africa, I came with the idea that maybe the Nile was an important place for Homo Sapiens evolution.

Since I don't believe that being in a small unit in the savannahs/jungles and then suddenly jump into making transcontinental colonizations. I think the Nile is the logical frontier between those 2 worlds/stages.

That's one, Another is the Indus/Ganges river systemes for the Eurasian macrohaplogroups, since India is a place of very high variability of subclades.

As well as the region of Iran/Pakistan/India/Afghanistan being in a crossroad between Europe, the Middle East, Siberia, East Asia, Oceania.

This thread has been viewed 1394 times.

Back