Doggerland

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1a
mtDNA haplogroup
H5a1a
Red hair origin is always interesting. It appears it was present in europe before the R1b invasions.
According to this site which lists pigmentation of many ancient samples (don'tknow how reliable it is)https://genetiker.wordpress.com/pigmentation/
the oldest one is found in Mesolithic romania

I4582
Romania MHG
7021–6473 BC
Medium
Red
Blue

followed by a corded ware sample

Spiginas 2
Corded Ware LT LN
2130–1750 BC
NA
Red
Blue

with a huge gap of 5000 years

and then a bell beaker sample

I2787
Bell Beaker HU CA
2457–2201 BC
Light
Red
Brown

and a Jordan(!) one.
I1730
Jordan EBA
2489–2299 BC
Light
Red
Blue

Thereare a couple more of bell beaker samples. I would tend to think that the Czechia stroke ornament sample got it from a source similar to the romania mesolitic hunter gatherer and then the Steppe invaders got it from that and spread it. What do you think? The area of Stroke-ornamented ware culture is not far from romania and is about in the corded ware area.
All the old samples concentrate in central-east europe (aside from the jordan one).

I would tend to think that the Czechia stroke ornament sample got it from a source similar to the romania mesolitic hunter gatherer and then the Steppe invaders got it from that and spread it.

The mesolithic Romanian sample is labeled as Iron Gates HG and this population is already mixed with Early Neolithic Farmers.

The mtDNA is K1, which can be of Neolithic, but also Magdalenian origin.
Hard to say, where the allele originates.

I had another strange thing with another red hair causing allele in rs2228479
The allele is found in a Latvian Hunter Gatherer I4432 but also in a middle Neolithic sample from Sicily I4063. A connection of both is unlikely.

MC1R mutations are very common in mammals and exists in dogs, mice, rats, cats, guinea pigs, horses and many more. Maybe those alleles do not have a common origin, but appear spontaneous everywhere in a species. I think latitidual selection plays a greater role than origin.

This thread has been viewed 1521 times.

Back