Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Are there more detailed mtDNA tests?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-M241 (J2b2) [atm]
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

Ethnic group
    Bosnian Serb

Are there more detailed mtDNA tests?

Hi all,

I recently ordered my Y700 and it got me wondering whether there were any more detailed genetic tests of mtDNA than something like 23andme, or even studies/projects to map them (like Y Full)?

My understanding is that mtDNA has a higher rate of change than YDNA - yet to me it feels like there's so much less mapping of variation for the former. Maybe it's just my ignorance?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Please ignore this post, found the answers to what I was looking for.
    Apparently the full mtDNA test that FT offers woould show much more detail than SNP ones like 23andMe - though it's apparently not as useful for ancestry (which is surprising since mtDNA changes at higher rate apparently than Y)
    Last edited by Stefanthro; 28-04-22 at 19:16.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanthro View Post
    Hi all,

I recently ordered my Y700 and it got me wondering whether there were any more detailed genetic tests of mtDNA than something like 23andme, or even studies/projects to map them (like Y Full)?

My understanding is that mtDNA has a higher rate of change than YDNA - yet to me it feels like there's so much less mapping of variation for the former. Maybe it's just my ignorance?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Please ignore this post, found the answers to what I was looking for.
    Apparently the full mtDNA test that FT offers woould show much more detail than SNP ones like 23andMe - though it's apparently not as useful for ancestry (which is surprising since mtDNA changes at higher rate apparently than Y)
    Hey Stefan
    Womanís rights is a relatively recent movement in European and American history and woman tended to get traded into other cultures for alliance or war booty; I have an ancestress that was ferried away to Quebec from Connecticut during the Deerfield massacre as a paper trail-like example.
    You can use Mtdna for prehistoric ancestry but itís not going to be as reliable as far as tracing ancient civilizations. :)