Reaction score
Ethnic group
Bosnian Serb
Y-DNA haplogroup
J2b2>L283>J-Z38299
mtDNA haplogroup
H4
Hi all,

I recently ordered my Y700 and it got me wondering whether there were any more detailed genetic tests of mtDNA than something like 23andme, or even studies/projects to map them (like Y Full)?

My understanding is that mtDNA has a higher rate of change than YDNA - yet to me it feels like there's so much less mapping of variation for the former. Maybe it's just my ignorance?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Please ignore this post, found the answers to what I was looking for.
Apparently the full mtDNA test that FT offers woould show much more detail than SNP ones like 23andMe - though it's apparently not as useful for ancestry (which is surprising since mtDNA changes at higher rate apparently than Y)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I recently ordered my Y700 and it got me wondering whether there were any more detailed genetic tests of mtDNA than something like 23andme, or even studies/projects to map them (like Y Full)?

My understanding is that mtDNA has a higher rate of change than YDNA - yet to me it feels like there's so much less mapping of variation for the former. Maybe it's just my ignorance?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Please ignore this post, found the answers to what I was looking for.
Apparently the full mtDNA test that FT offers woould show much more detail than SNP ones like 23andMe - though it's apparently not as useful for ancestry (which is surprising since mtDNA changes at higher rate apparently than Y)

Hey Stefan
Woman?s rights is a relatively recent movement in European and American history and woman tended to get traded into other cultures for alliance or war booty; I have an ancestress that was ferried away to Quebec from Connecticut during the Deerfield massacre as a paper trail-like example.
You can use Mtdna for prehistoric ancestry but it?s not going to be as reliable as far as tracing ancient civilizations. :)

This thread has been viewed 1470 times.

Back