Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guess my racial background

Ethnic group
    I guess somewhere in the Alpha Centauri

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I will defer to the Greeks here, but imo you don't look like any Greek I've ever seen, and in fact you don't look like any of the relatives whose pictures you've posted. Your grandfather and his mother look very Italian to me, especially your great-grandmother. They both would fit seamlessly in Italy.

You, on the other hand, would not, imo. I somewhat agree with Archetype; you look Middle Eastern.
    Middle eastern ? Yea thats very possible since my great granfathers from my fathers side came from eastern Thrace.Well i dont look like them because i mostly took from my father when it comes to looks and what not.The thing is though how middle eastern ? Because ive been near many middle easteners from multiple countries cause theyre plenty the last few years in Greece and have nothing in common with them in looks.Unless youre talking about Pontids,western Turks or something.
    You should also try and figure out the guy on the last 2 pictures of my first post since hes also a relative of mine.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Its me View Post
    Middle eastern ? Yea thats very possible since my great granfathers from my fathers side came from eastern Thrace.Well i dont look like them because i mostly took from my father when it comes to looks and what not.The thing is though how middle eastern ? Because ive been near many middle easteners from multiple countries cause theyre plenty the last few years in Greece and have nothing in common with them in looks.Unless youre talking about Pontids,western Turks or something.
    You should also try and figure out the guy on the last 2 pictures of my first post since hes also a relative of mine.
    As to the picture of the young man on the bike, people getting a very dark tan from the summer sun doesn't mean anything other than that the odds are the person is EITHER from Southern Europe or from the Near East. It is possible, however, that the person is actually from north of the Alps. I've said till I'm blue in the face that pigmentation is the least reliable indicator of ethnicity.

I was looking at my wedding album a lot this weekend. This is a picture from it. We were married at the end of the summer when my husband had been working construction outdoors for my father to try to save the money for our backtracking trip through Europe. Now that most of his life is spent in an office, his skin is an olive white.

Attachment 13292

Aiden Turner:

The picture of the young man on the skateboard doesn't show the face very well. If you weren't telling me all these pictures are of you, I wouldn't guess.

All of that said, I don't see a family resemblance with any of the family members you posted, particularly not your grandfather's mother, or your mother and her father.

In general, as I said, I defer to the Greeks on the site as to whether you look really Greek to them. I haven't been to every corner of Greece, so I wouldn't know.

For example, there are people like these Greek politicians whom I wouldn't have immediately guessed were Greek.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    As to the picture of the young man on the bike, people getting a very dark tan from the summer sun doesn't mean anything other than that the odds are the person is EITHER from Southern Europe or from the Near East. It is possible, however, that the person is actually from north of the Alps. I've said till I'm blue in the face that pigmentation is the least reliable indicator of ethnicity.
    I was looking at my wedding album a lot this weekend. This is a picture from it. We were married at the end of the summer when my husband had been working construction outdoors for my father to try to save the money for our backtracking trip through Europe. Now that most of his life is spent in an office, his skin is an olive white.
    Attachment 13292
    The picture of the young man on the skateboard doesn't show the face very well. If you weren't telling me all these pictures are of you, I wouldn't guess.
    All of that said, I don't see a family resemblance with any of the family members you posted, particularly not your grandfather's mother, or your mother and her father.
    In general, as I said, I defer to the Greeks on the site as to whether you look really Greek to them. I haven't been to every corner of Greece, so I wouldn't know.
    For example, there are people like these Greek politicians whom I wouldn't have immediately guessed were Greek.
    Theres no standart when it comes to Greek faces unfortunately.The motorcycle one is from a summer were i was going every day for hours at the beach while the other one is not a skateboard but a locomotive,i had to crop it though for it be smaller,ill post the original picture in place of the cropped one in hopes its cleaner.In cold months when theres not much sun i become a bit "whiter"-paler too,not that pale but more than in the pictures definitely.I did a bit of research and by looking at some phenotypes the one closer to my face is the pontid and gracile med one.Lebanon and Tunisia are out of the question mostly because if i had relatives from there believe me i would definitely know even if it was 5 generations ago.
    Last edited by Its me; 23-05-22 at 20:24.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z17107

You look very Arab to me as well. If I had to choose only 1, I’d go for Palestinian or Jordanian since the Lebanese and Syrians are more varied in phenotypes.

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Dushman View Post
    You look very Arab to me as well. If I had to choose only 1, I’d go for Palestinian or Jordanian since the Lebanese and Syrians are more varied in phenotypes.
    This is just too much,in the end im gonna hear that i look like an African from Kenya.I do accept that i look like a near easterner or some sort of western Turk and can at worst accept that i look like some sort of an Armenian (the latter are very common in Greece) but not that i look Arab.After all i know where my ancestors were for many generations,even in the mid to early 1800s and these places you and others have mentioned have nothing to do with where they were.Theres plenty of far cleaner and telling pictures of mine and from people from my fathers side but im not willing to share them because thats private info and this is the internet.I have an Egyptian friend and some Armenians from Pontus and when we sit side by side we are easily distinguishable.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z17107

Northern Arabs can have a similar skin tone if not lighter than that of the Armenians. I did not mean to offend you. FYI, I find Northern Arab women very beautiful and their skin tone is perfect. I wish my skin was more resistant to the sun.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Have you had a DNA test OP?

Ethnic group
    Peloponnese/Central Greece

Your mother is Albanian or arvanite? You pass anywhere in South Europe I think

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Dushman View Post
    Northern Arabs can have a similar skin tone if not lighter than that of the Armenians. I did not mean to offend you. FYI, I find Northern Arab women very beautiful and their skin tone is perfect. I wish my skin was more resistant to the sun.
    I find it mostly wrong than offensive.I never really liked arab women with some exceptions of course.

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by lockdownboredom View Post
    Have you had a DNA test OP?
    Unfortunately no.I came to this forum to use it as a poor mans DNA test :) Do you have any cheep option to propose ?

Ethnic group

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill7 View Post
    Your mother is Albanian or arvanite? You pass anywhere in South Europe I think
    My mothers grandgrandparents were some sort of big land owners and i think well paid lawyers in the region between what would later become Serbia and Albania.They mostly married with other rich peoples from what ive been told by my grandma and mother.Judging by pictures of them,many of wich i havent posted here,that i have they would mostly pass for Italians than Balkans.I had these thoughts even before Angela because i had been looking at some Italian people from pictures and they looked the same.Then communism came and expelled them to the mountains of Albania and they took their money and land,one of my grandfathers brother even fled to Australia to avoid being captured.So to give a short answer most propably if they werent some sort of Italian traders or well educated rich house then they were Albanians but in no case Arvanites.Of course this is not bragging or anything for that matter just what ive been told

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

But if we had a typological analysis ?
    You don't like Near-eastern to me, not impossible but very last choice, and then it would be one of the possible Lebanon people; not Tunisian.
    your straight hair is more common among European, and not very 'mediter'; your face is rather middle-long-oval 'mediter' (more typical of true 'atlanto-mediter' when without archaic accretions which increase breadth of cheekbones), your nose is long ('mediter' roughly said, here again without archaic input hich shorten nose) but rather straight, no 'indo-afghan' input so no "arab" likehood; if it was less fleshy as a whole, your nose could almost pass among true 'nordic' types (without archaic input here again); your mouth is rather 'mediter' (thicker lower lip) without I could say more;I lack clear angles for your skull and forehead; all the way, nothing typical of TODAY Neareasterners. Very rough analysis.
    I spoke about Iberian (Spanyard) but now I could propose also some Bulgarians; rather 'mediter' as a whole, mayby with 'danubian'.

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    You don't like Near-eastern to me, not impossible but very last choice, and then it would be one of the possible Lebanon people; not Tunisian.
    your straight hair is more common among European, and not very 'mediter'; your face is rather middle-long-oval 'mediter' (more typical of true 'atlanto-mediter' when without archaic accretions which increase breadth of cheekbones), your nose is long ('mediter' roughly said, here again without archaic input hich shorten nose) but rather straight, no 'indo-afghan' input so no "arab" likehood; if it was less fleshy as a whole, your nose could almost pass among true 'nordic' types (without archaic input here again); your mouth is rather 'mediter' (thicker lower lip) without I could say more;I lack clear angles for your skull and forehead; all the way, nothing typical of TODAY Neareasterners. Very rough analysis.
    I spoke about Iberian (Spanyard) but now I could propose also some Bulgarians; rather 'mediter' as a whole, mayby with 'danubian'.
    I guess these will help with the skull.The colors of my skin are darker and here they look lighter due to the white light from the lamps

Attachment 13313Attachment 13314Attachment 13315

Ive lost 30 minutes and they just wont get posted properly.I guess you can save them and rotate them yourself,unless theres something i can do that i dont know

Unfortunately no.I came to this forum to use it as a poor mans DNA test :) Do you have any cheep option to propose ?
    These services are the most acclaimed:
    ancestry.com
    23andme.com

23andMe has the advantage of testing your Y-DNA whilst the raw data provided by ancestry.com is more detailed containing more SNPs resulting in higher accuracy.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

Ethnic group
    Germanic

You clearly have European facial features like your nose or your long face. But your eyes look really middle eastern.

You don’t have the thick hair and beard like many Middle Easterns or Arabs have, that gives you a more southern European look.

Corsica could be a place where you can pass:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mc...ica_demo_g.jpg

Ethnic group

These services are the most acclaimed:
    ancestry.com
    23andme.com

23andMe has the advantage of testing your Y-DNA whilst the raw data provided by ancestry.com is more detailed containing more SNPs resulting in higher accuracy.
    Thanks i will do some research look at them both more carefully and decide.How long do results from these things take to be ready ?

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    You clearly have European facial features like your nose or your long face. But your eyes look really middle eastern.

You don’t have the thick hair and beard like many Middle Easterns or Arabs have, that gives you a more southern European look.

Corsica could be a place where you can pass:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mc...ica_demo_g.jpg
    Middle eastern ? Again maybe thats true but my eyes are closer to those of Javier Bardem and in a forum i saw while searching they classify him as Berid.After looking at what one earth a Berid is i can with confidence say that i share the eyes of plenty Berids.When i searched about "middle eastern eyes" i didnt really find anything close to mine apart from some very rare cases.I may be wrong about all this since im no expert but it still remains my honest and as much as it can be unbiased opinion.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

Ethnic group
    Germanic

The reason why I think that your eyes look more Middle Eastern in terms of morphology(Eyelid, eye opening, shape):

North Africans or Albanians can have Middle Eastern looking eyes too.

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    The reason why I think that your eyes look more Middle Eastern in terms of morphology(Eyelid, eye opening, shape):

North Africans or Albanians can have Middle Eastern looking eyes too.
    Nice eye chart,i can definitely see the similarities.Put some berid or Javier Bardem eyes in there and youll see theyre close to mine too.For example look at this guys eyes and then look at mine,i may not be berid but the eye opening and eyelid are close Attachment 13319
    Last edited by Its me; 26-05-22 at 18:12.

Thanks i will do some research look at them both more carefully and decide.How long do results from these things take to be ready ?
    Typically within 4 weeks.

Ethnic group

Typically within 4 weeks.
    Pretty fast

Pretty fast
    Seen reports of results being available within a week.

I don't think you have any middle Eastern similarities at all in my opinion. The first pictures and the other from the side is not even close to middle Eastern features. Your head is narrow and and forehead is pretty large, nose is straight, which I've seen in many Poles and Czechs, Germans usually calls their nose area Roman which have a slight bend. As I've earlier said I think the narrow face is a common feature up here in Scandinavia and sometimes in the British Isles and Italy. Your colours are darker than up here, but not unseen. I agree your DNA test would be interesting.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5

I agree with Mordred, you don't look Middle Eastern, i see a lot of Palestinians around here and you are not the typical Palestinian, you look more like in Anatolian-Caucasus cline, but would pass around and in Balkans on general, but those people with more Kavkaz-Anatolian tendencies.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    N9a

Ethnic group
    Albanian & Kurdish

Half Albanian/Kurd here. Having been exposed to many Albanian (Balkan) and Kurdish (Middle Eastern) people, plus thousands of Canadians varying in hundreds of ethnicities, I would say many comments here are misinformed and/or stem from lack of experience. You don’t look “Arab” (whatever that means).

Your skull, phenotype, nose, lips, and general features fit well within the broad Southern European look.

However, your eye shape/lids are very common in the Middle East which is throwing people off. Even if you had grey/blue eyes, it would not negate the ME shape.

You could pass as Greek, Italian, Western Turkish, Mediterranean, and also some Middle Easterners who themselves could pass as Southern European (like many Lebanese).

Even very distant DNA(less than 5%) could impact your looks.

My MtDNA is N9a from Japan/China, my grandmother has 5% Central Asian DNA and quite high cheekbones to prove it. Even 5% of something can change your look.

On a DNA test, I could see you as 80-90% European Greek + 10-20% West Asian on a DNA test.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast