Italian 15.3%
    Greek & Balkan 0.7%
    Broadly Southern European 1.7%
    West Asian & North African 30.4%
    Anatolian 20.2%
    Cypriot 2.6%
    Iranian, Caucasian & Mesopotamian 2.5%
    Broadly Northern West Asian 5.1%

This is my ancestry report from 23andme. One obvious lineage aside, I was not surprised by the presence of Italian and Anatolian in the mix, as tests from Cretan Greeks have previously revealed a distinction from mainlanders. However, the total West Eurasian influence seems disproportionately high. Even unmixed results tend to barely score more than 20% Anatolian, and the bulk instead tends to come from a South Italian association, not to mention some non-negligible Balkan influence.
    I'm curious as to whether or not this is anything out of the ordinary, possibly indicating a relic of Ottoman migrations despite my surname not suggesting this.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Quote Originally Posted by silikone View Post
    European: 69.6%
    Scandinavian 51.7%
    Italian 15.3%
    Greek & Balkan 0.7%
    Anatolian 20.2%
    Cypriot 2.6%

This is my ancestry report from 23andme. One obvious lineage aside, I was not surprised by the presence of Italian and Anatolian in the mix, as tests from Cretan Greeks have previously revealed a distinction from mainlanders. However, the total West Eurasian influence seems disproportionately high. Even unmixed results tend to barely score more than 20% Anatolian, and the bulk instead tends to come from a South Italian association, not to mention some non-negligible Balkan influence.
    I'm curious as to whether or not this is anything out of the ordinary, possibly indicating a relic of Ottoman migrations despite my surname not suggesting this.
    It might be a number of things that would explain the rather large West Asian and North African ancestry. In the exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey, Cretan Muslims speaking the Greek/Cretan language were exchanged for Orthodox Christians of Asian Minor mainly from Smyrna. Do you have any info on where your grandparents/gtreat grandparents came from? Surnames (Last names)?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T-CTS6507
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e2

The only thing I know is that my grandfather and his siblings have been residing in various places near Sitia, sharing a surname with an 'akis suffix.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

The only thing I know is that my grandfather and his siblings have been residing in various places near Sitia, sharing a surname with an 'akis suffix.
    I see that your Y Haplogroup is T1a1…, I’m T1a2… and though it’s a different line from yours, we still share very ancient paternal ancestors.
    🕷️

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

Ethnic group
    North Italian

European: 69.6%
    Scandinavian 51.7%
    Italian 15.3%
    Greek & Balkan 0.7%
    Anatolian 20.2%
    Cypriot 2.6%

Interesting ...........................your T1a1 ydna .................i am T1a2 ydna

you have Scandinavian roots ...................I have 50% matching with Swedish, Danish and Finnish people in my MtDna ( 5 people )...................usually from Scania and Gotland ..............the Danish match is with surname Krog
    Fathers mtdna ...... T2b17
    Grandfather paternal mtdna ... T1a1e
    Sons mtdna ...... K1a4p
    Mothers line ..... R1b-S8172
    Grandmother paternal side ... I1-CTS6397
    Wife paternal line ..... R1a-PF6155

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

1 members found this post helpful.
    -akis suffix is very typical of Cretan surnames.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T-CTS6507
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e2

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I see that your Y Haplogroup is T1a1…, I’m T1a2… and though it’s a different line from yours, we still share very ancient paternal ancestors.
    If I am not mistaken, T1a2 in Europe is typically a Neolithic marker. Eupedia's page on haplogroup T posits a South Caucasian origin for my subclade, one associated with the Bronze Age spread to Europe that started in Crete, so I could possibly have a unique Minoan line.