Italian 15.3%
Greek & Balkan 0.7%
Broadly Southern European 1.7%
West Asian & North African 30.4%
Anatolian 20.2%
Cypriot 2.6%
Iranian, Caucasian & Mesopotamian 2.5%
Broadly Northern West Asian 5.1%

This is my ancestry report from 23andme. One obvious lineage aside, I was not surprised by the presence of Italian and Anatolian in the mix, as tests from Cretan Greeks have previously revealed a distinction from mainlanders. However, the total West Eurasian influence seems disproportionately high. Even unmixed results tend to barely score more than 20% Anatolian, and the bulk instead tends to come from a South Italian association, not to mention some non-negligible Balkan influence.
I'm curious as to whether or not this is anything out of the ordinary, possibly indicating a relic of Ottoman migrations despite my surname not suggesting this.

European: 69.6%
Scandinavian 51.7%
Italian 15.3%
Greek & Balkan 0.7%
Anatolian 20.2%
Cypriot 2.6%

This is my ancestry report from 23andme. One obvious lineage aside, I was not surprised by the presence of Italian and Anatolian in the mix, as tests from Cretan Greeks have previously revealed a distinction from mainlanders. However, the total West Eurasian influence seems disproportionately high. Even unmixed results tend to barely score more than 20% Anatolian, and the bulk instead tends to come from a South Italian association, not to mention some non-negligible Balkan influence.
I'm curious as to whether or not this is anything out of the ordinary, possibly indicating a relic of Ottoman migrations despite my surname not suggesting this.

It might be a number of things that would explain the rather large West Asian and North African ancestry. In the exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey, Cretan Muslims speaking the Greek/Cretan language were exchanged for Orthodox Christians of Asian Minor mainly from Smyrna. Do you have any info on where your grandparents/gtreat grandparents came from? Surnames (Last names)?

The only thing I know is that my grandfather and his siblings have been residing in various places near Sitia, sharing a surname with an 'akis suffix.

The only thing I know is that my grandfather and his siblings have been residing in various places near Sitia, sharing a surname with an 'akis suffix.
I see that your Y Haplogroup is T1a1…, I’m T1a2… and though it’s a different line from yours, we still share very ancient paternal ancestors.

European: 69.6%
Scandinavian 51.7%
Italian 15.3%
Greek & Balkan 0.7%
Anatolian 20.2%
Cypriot 2.6%

Interesting ...........................your T1a1 ydna .................i am T1a2 ydna

you have Scandinavian roots ...................I have 50% matching with Swedish, Danish and Finnish people in my MtDna ( 5 people )...................usually from Scania and Gotland ..............the Danish match is with surname Krog

-akis suffix is very typical of Cretan surnames.

I see that your Y Haplogroup is T1a1…, I’m T1a2… and though it’s a different line from yours, we still share very ancient paternal ancestors.

If I am not mistaken, T1a2 in Europe is typically a Neolithic marker. Eupedia's page on haplogroup T posits a South Caucasian origin for my subclade, one associated with the Bronze Age spread to Europe that started in Crete, so I could possibly have a unique Minoan line.

The recent update upped my West Asian component to 32.6%, and it's now all Anatolian. I also got 0.1% unassigned, which is a bummer.

This thread has been viewed 2492 times.

Back