Classify half Estonian half German man. Where does he fit most?

real expert

Reaction score
sendungsbild441740~_v-original.jpg
herbert-groenemeyer-1982-.jpg
161629275_3484bc.jpg

der-deutche-musiker-snger-und-schauspieler-herbert-grnemeyer-1980er-picture-id1250126657
mqdefault.jpg

Estonia, maybe Finland.

That’s Herbert Grönemeyer. I didn’t know that he‘s half Estonian. IMO, he fits best in the Baltic countries.

Estonia, maybe Finland.

I second that. if you're not familiar with the typical Estonian or Baltic look you would think he looks like a regular German but actually, he looks fully Estonian. His mother's genes were strong. It‘s strange that some “mixed“ folks only take after one part of their ancestry.

That’s Herbert Grönemeyer. I didn’t know that he‘s half Estonian. IMO, he fits best in the Baltic countries.

Here's the thing, I was randomly watching old movies, such as das Boot with Grönemeyer. And then I watched a Talkshow where he was a guest. On this Talkshow, he talked about his working-class upbringing and childhood, and in that context, he mentioned that his mother is actually Estonian. Thus it makes sense that he fits in Baltic countries. Anyway, after seeing many classifications of Baltic people and looking up Estonians, etc. I got a more trained eye. Therefore, I realized that not a few Germans that at the first glance look like regular Germans actually look baltic.

I second that. if you're not familiar with the typical Estonian or Baltic look you would think he looks like a regular German but actually, he looks fully Estonian. His mother's genes were strong. It‘s strange that some “mixed“ folks only take after one part of their ancestry.

It happens not infrequently. My husband's aunt (Calabrian and Campanian) married a man who was of Scottish and German ancestry. One son looked exactly, and I mean exactly like his mother. No one ever guessed him to be anything other than 100% Southern Italian. The daughter looked almost exactly like her father. The youngest son was a mix. When they would go on family vacations, the two oldest would go to clubs and everyone thought they were boyfriend and girlfriend. No one would believe they were full brother and sister. :)

The most extreme example I ever saw were the three children of a black woman and an Italian man. The eldest daughter looked black, almost identical to her mother. The youngest daughter looked completely white. She had the worst time, because people would say really racist things in front of her. The boy looked Hispanic of the black admixed Puerto Rican variety. Racially mixed marriages and racially mixed children still face real challenges, even in the U.S., unlike marriages between Europeans.

This thread has been viewed 2432 times.

Back